five

AN: to answer your question no Skylar can't give him the 8,000 dollars and you'll find out why later :-)

-

Sticking my hands in my dirty front pockets, I hopped down the steps of that insanely nice apartment building. Honestly, seeing how expesive all that shit looked made me cringe. Like...I thought those motels I always crashed in were nice, but that was before I experienced the art of over-decorating and installing really bright and clean lights to every ceiling. I don't know why I pay so much attention to my surroundings...especially then, when I knew I was safe from anyone that wanted me dead...but sometimes I get so alert that I just take in every detail of everywhere I go. I mean, you never really know who's there to come after you, right?

It was about 2:00 am, but that didn't mean shit to me. To me, 2:00 am was the time when things get started. I'm not just saying that because I had spent all the hours prior to this with chains on my ankles and whips against my back, I just genuinely feel as though the night has just begun for me. Another almost-sleepless night, but that was perfectly fine by me. I'm used to it by now; I really just don't need sleep.

I gazed down the street to which I had hopped down onto, and the area looked pretty familiar. It's been a while since I've been back to New York City, but I'm pretty good at remembering the places that I've gone to. And obviously NYC is big as fuck, but still. I just recognize places like this. But, I was not in the mood to stroll past the fancy shops and cafes that were going to be opening up in just a couple hours; Nah, I wanted to go to an area that I was more comfortable in. An area that I actually liked.

I followed the street signs and let the bright moon and city lights guide me in my direction, heading more south than where I was now. I needed to get back to where I had put all my stuff, and I could also really use a bit of washing. Sometimes I can care less about my hygiene, but right now I felt disgusting. I felt like I was kept inside of an old basement for days or like I was drenched in someone else's blood, even though it was only my own that stained the skin on my back. Derek loves doing that, doesn't he? He's definitely done the impossbile tonight: make me feel uncomfortable beyond any extent.

I slowed down my steps and stared down at my feet, watching as they kept a steady pace as I made my way towards where I wanted to go. It was pretty dead out tonight, for a city. Most of the lights in every window of every building were shut off, and the amount of cars driving past me seemed smaller than usual. I could tell that it would be a while before I see any street life, since this area is a little less...I don't know, dangerous? Lots of rich people fill this area, as its so easy to tell. Luckily for me, it wasn't that cold...okay, maybe it was pretty cold, but I was used to that too. I had nothing on me except for my dirty clothes, but luckily I didn't have my phone on me when Derek's little "slaves" almost ran me over and dragged me into their car. Knowing them, they probably would've taken it. Wow. Tonight's been really fun, hasn't it?

...

About 45 minutes later, I still wasn't tired. But, I had made it to where I wanted to be, and I instantly felt more at home. This part of the city was full of night and street life. It was one of those parts of the town that might frighten a lot of people, but I had absolutely no fear as I strolled down the dirty old sidewalk with my hands still stuffed in my pockets. Here, I could see the little run-down houses, the junky cars speeding across the road, and I could hear the angry voices of different groups of people; shouting at one another, using profane words to express their emotions, and still not phasing me at all. There was a gas station on this side of the street that I recognized...infact, I recognize all of this. So I quickened my pace, before I crossed an empty cross walk with a broken stop light, before emerging into the dimly lit area where one was to fill up their cars with surprsingly cheap gas. Fuck. I need a car, don't I?