Chapter 3

The morning of the mating ceremony wedding was a blur. My sapphire siphons glittered in the spring sun as I walked through the street to the temple to check on the preparations there since I was the only one who was available to do so. The groom was having a well needed chat with his relatives from the Autum Court, Cassian was briefing the guards on where they would be positioned throughout the city, Rhys was back at the river house greeting guests, Feyre, Nesta and Mor were all helping Elain get ready and Amren was no where to be found. No doubt she was with Varian. So that left me to check on the decorations and priestesses at the temple where the ceremony was taking place. I just wanted this day to be over and done with so I could get back to normal life and forget I ever loved her.

The temple looked stunning. All types of flowers were planted along the path leading to the temple entrance: roses, daffodils, irises, lilies, lavender, daisies and many more flowers which I couldn't remember the name of. There were flowers lining the isle and a sea of petals leading to the altar where the couple would become mates officially and become husband and wife. The temple looked exactly like the description I was given by Elain when we discussed what our dream temple would look like. I shook the memory from my mind. I couldn't let my shattered heart break even more.
"Is the temple living up to Lady Elain's standards?" Asks the priestess who would lead the ceremony in a few hours.
"Perfect" I respond.

An hour before sunset, guests started to fill the seats in the temple. I was sat in the front row along with Cassian and Rhys and Amren. Feyre, Nesta and Mor were to be bridesmaids and little Nyx had been given the task of ring bearer. Lucien's family from the Autumn court sat in the other side of the isle. They looked displeased at Lucien's choice of wedding venue. Lucien entered the temple and stood at the altar where Feyre, Nesta, Mor and Nyx were all standing. The organ began to play and everyone rose out of their seats.

Elain floated into the temple in a beautiful white gown with a bouquet full of different flowers. I didn't know what to think or do. I knew I no longer loved her, but part of me still desired her slightly and seeing her entering the temple made my fist clench at my side. Elain glided past where I was sat and smiled at me as if we had been talking normally with each other all week. Once she reached the front of the temple, we all sat back down. I unclenched my fist and took a deep breath. I didn't love her anymore, otherwise I would be at the front fighting Lucien, but I still cared for her. A small part of me wished I was up there with her, but I knew she didn't love me like I used to.

As Lucien and Elain shared food and exchanged their wedding vows. As they slipped the bands of gold onto each other's fingers, I made a vow to myself. I would never fall in love again. That way my heart would never be broken again. I also vowed that I would nerve trust my heart again.