The True Reason...

(Aiko POV)

I was only nine when it happened. I was just waking up. Normally, I would've gotten ready for the day as soon as I got up. But, today I was hungry, so I went to my kitchen to see what I could make for breakfast. My mom abandoned me when I was just baby. It was just me and my father.

I walked into the kitchen and saw my dad arguing with some men. He was asking for "more time". As it turns out, my father used gambling as his escape from his sadness. And he was in debt. A lot of debt.

They refused to give him anymore time. They said he had to get the money to them now. Then and there. But, he couldn't. He had been working multiple jobs. I never understood why until that day. There wasn't enough money. So... they almost killed him. They threw him onto the ground and beat him until he was on the verge of death.

I tried to take him to the medics. I took him into an alleyway that was completely covered. I wanted to save him from onlooking eyes. there was no sun available. And in that alley, we ran into a figure. There wasn't enough light to see it. I was already exhausted from carrying my dad. Then the figure hit me, and I flew away from them.

So I did the only thing I could. I ran. I ran until I found someone. I tried to tell them. But they knew about my fathers debt. Apparently, everyone did. When I described the figure, they assumed it was the collectors. Nobody would listen. But that figure, was something supernatural.

I went back. It took a while. But when I realized I was on my own, I knew I had to go back. I brought a light. I walked into the alley. And I saw it. The thing that scarred me for life. I saw the figure eating my father's body. But now, it wasn't a figure, I could see the demon clearly now. But I could also see my father's body.

I started to back up and tripped. The demon approached me and was about to kill me. It didn't even move, but it's intent to kill was evident, even to a child. It had no hair, green skin, sharp teeth, and blood dripping from it's mouth. I tried to get away. 

And I did. It was so focused on me, that it didn't realize the sunlight. I managed to lure it into the sunlight. And it burned alive. I saw it turn to dust right before my eyes. And again, no one would believe me. His body was never found, it was gone when someone finally followed me to that alley. I was just a kid. And along with his debt, no one would believe me. I would yell, "I saw it eat him, it was right there! It killed him!" But all they did was shut me down. "You're just a kid." They would say. "You are just over exaggerating. And plus, he deserved what was coming to him." 

And so I was an orphan. When I learned of the demon slayers, I was so angry. There was one right in front of me, and no one helped. But it wasn't their fault. With no reports, there was no knowledge of the demon. So, I knew. I knew what I had to do.

And I still do. I will become a slayer. I will avenge my father. I will kill the demon. I don't know how. But I will. I will find the demon and slaughter it. I will make sure it knows how the people it has killed felt. I will make it know their suffering when they were torn apart. I will kill it. I will get my revenge.

That is why I want to become a slayer, Hoshi. My father was slaughtered and eaten before me. And now, I want my revenge. Hoshi, I ask you, help me. Train me as a slayer, and help me get revenge. I trust you with this.