star-crossed

summer afternoons were made for this: lying on top of her cotton-candy pink bedspread, listening to her talk about her flourishing garden, tracing her freckles with my finger like i was drawing constellations in a star-filled sky. it was everything i'd ever dreamed of.

she giggled as my finger crossed over the bridge of her nose. "what are you doing?" she asked, following my actions with her emerald green eyes. they glittered in the faint sunlight that filtered through her curtains.

"tracing constellations," i told her. 

her eyes closed and she smiled, looking beautifully carefree. "pearl, my freckles aren't stars."

"well, they're just as pretty."

she produced a little flustered giggle, but didn't turn away like she usually did when blush rose up her neck and to her cheeks, painting them the same color as her bedspread. i traced a diamond as i watched the wave of rose settle over the bridge of her nose and tips of her ears. as amazing as she looked in a flower crown and that simple green dress that perfectly matched her eyes, i thought she looked more beautiful here, blushing under my fingertips.

eventually, the hint of pink disappeared from her face, and eventually, her breath evened out, but i continued to trace the stars on her skin like i'd only just begun. if she'd let me, and if life wasn't so busy, i'd do this forever, drawing constellations in invisible ink until the end of time.

alas, this perfect summer afternoon would end with the setting of the sun, but maybe again someday the universe would spare enough time for star-crossed lovers to have another afternoon of peace.

***

author's note

word count: 276

first oneshot let's go! also first time writing gempearl (or whatever the ship name is for them i'm not too familiar with the ship)

i keep forgetting to write everything in lowercase lol i am so not used to this

i might write a sequel to this sometime called sun-kissed idk i'll see. next one definitely won't be that because i wrote another oneshot right after i finished this one

also this took me wayyy longer than it should've to write

anyways, have a great day!

-blu