the back of the moon

"the warmth of the sun could never touch the back of the moon," they said. "the moon's too secretive; too untouchable, but not in the way of the sun, where if you get too close, you'll get scorched by his kindness and blinded by his smile. no, the moon is untouchable in the way that he'll shy away from your touch, from your warmth, from your light. the back of the moon will simply never receive the warm embrace of the sun."

that never stopped the moon from trying.

you see, the moon had first glimpsed the sun's radiance from his front, which was in range of the sun's touch at all times. he learned how to glow, how to reflect some of the sun's brightness on others, and, in his efforts, managed to catch the attention of the sun himself. he and the sun grew closer, but, as he did with others, he only ever showed the sun his front side, the one that now had the confidence to glitter like gold. the back of the moon remained largely unremarkable, and afraid that the sun would be driven away by the darkness that dwelled there, the moon kept that part of him hidden. 

now, believe me, the moon wanted to show the sun all of him, but the back of the moon only faintly glowed, and it glowed the color of the galaxy beyond instead of the pale silver he reflected from the sun. it was different, and it was beautiful in its own way, but it was also marred by eons of darkness. 

someday, the sun will see the glow of the back of the moon, but for now, he'll only see the front. it's okay with him. the sun may be bright and energetic, but he's also patient. he'll wait as long as is needed to see the shy beauty of the back of the moon.

the moon's lucky to have him.

***

author's note

word count: 325

this is faintly inspired by "the back of the moon" by cavetown. 

this could probably be just about any ship you want it to be, but it was written with ethubs in mind.

"i will write soft oneshots," i said. "there won't be much angst," i said. the second oneshot has angst in it. the second one! i just can not will myself to stop writing angst.

anyways i should probably stop procrastinating writing chapter 7 of tcitg (it is so boring to write but is still necessary aaaaa), so goodbye and have a great day!

-blu

(oh also i wrote this in like 15 minutes and then went to bed lol)