bloom

tws: mentions of war, death, and blood

---

the spring is fresh and the war is won. nobody is around to see the new peace, the new season, but it still exists. the land marred by gunpowder and bloodstains slowly begins to heal. 

birds start to sing their lovely melodies. snow melts, blood soaks into the ground until it is no longer visible from the surface. grass sprouts atop muddy hills; trees spread their roots onward and outward; beauty blossoms from ashes and despair.

up on a sandy hill, in a ring of cacti set in a desolate desert, flowers spring forth from a grave. lilacs and poppies bloom, joined later by baby's breath and marigolds, heliotropes and peonies. a thriving flower garden in a desert— formerly unheard of, but real— created by love and anguish and guilt.

as the seasons pass, the garden spreads, splashes of color appearing across the sand, breaking up the stark yellow. the flowers need no rain, living by way of the waves of emotion that were once felt on top of the hill in the desert, from within the ring of cacti. something beautiful sprouts from something tragic. it's how this land has always been. 

eventually, one last winter falls over the land, one last deep freeze. there's no need for them anymore, not when the spring is so much better. the final holdouts of desolation in the desert are reached, seeds sleeping beneath the sand, waiting for the perpetual spring to arrive.

and when it comes, the desert blooms.

***

author's note

word count: 248

is this considered fluff?? i think it is, but it's kind of hard to tell because it's so strange lol

anyways, i'm backkkkkkkkkkk! i had an amazing vacation- i got to see the ocean for the first time! also, it was really nice to just stay away from the internet for a few days. it was very refreshing, and i'm so ready to get back into things now :D

this oneshot is inspired by roots by the arcadian wild,,, kinda? it was meant to be a lot more inspired, but i got very off-track while writing and switched up the entire idea lol. it was literally meant to be desert duo, both still alive, being sweet after the war . . . but yeah, they're both dead here uhhhh- it is just flowers at this point.

also yes i did a bit of research on flower meanings for this. besides the official desert duo flowers (lilacs and poppies), each listed flower has a meaning that has something to do with death/grief/love (at least according to the website i used).

i have so much stuff to catch up on, so i'm going to end it here. have a great day! 

-blu