three

thecampingrusher

I sat at a cold wooden desk near the middle, sitting my bag next to my seat, and watched about seven others around me sit in other desks around the room. We were all scattered, because of the rules on the front of the room.

1. No Talking Or Associating In Any Way.

2. No Phones. If Any Are Seen, It Will Result In A Parent Pick-Up.

3. You Must Be Doing School Work. If Not Doing So, It Will Result In An After School Job At The School For As Long As Needed.

4. No Getting Up For Any Reason. If You Need To Go To The Restroom, You Must Raise Your Hand And Ask.

5. Any Bad Behavior Will Result In 20 Push Ups Or Sit Ups In The Front Of The Room.

It really does suck that the P.E coach is the detention teacher. I hesitantly looked at the clock that read 4:15 p.m. You know, it's not my fault I get in so much trouble. It's a thing where everybody thinks what I'm doing is hilarious, so being me, I keep doing it. The downside is that the teacher doesn't think erupting all of the freshman's diorama volcanoes in the library is so funny. 

I sighed and placed my chin in the palm of my hand. The detention teacher hadn't come in yet, so most people were talking to each other. I looked around noticing the regular faces I normally meet here every Tuesday and Thursday. Except, my eyes fell on a boy in the back. He had scruffy dark hair, lengthening to his the top of his eyes. He was wearing a big navy blue sweater and he seemed nervous. 

"Hey, I've never seen you in here before." I said. The boy looked back at me. He had dark brown eyes, and a small stubble was forming on his rounded face. 

"Uh, yeah, I just took the blame for someone. No problem." He looked down, fiddling with his thumbs. This boy was so odd. 

"Well, hey, I'm Brayden." I greeted. For some reason I said this, and it's strange because I never like to associate with anyone. This boy was different though. He seemed shy, and wasn't giving off anything about who he was or who he wants to be.

"I'm Mitch." For a second I swear, he was about to crack a smile until everyone heard to loud footsteps of the over-sized "woman" of a P.E coach. I swear, she was really a man. She was so hairy. Her arms and legs were so buff and she always wore her hair in a tight small bun that rested in the slap dead middle of her head. It was pretty horrifying, more horrifying than when your mother calls you by your full name. The coach waddled into the room holding a box of cheez-itz. 

"Alright, you all know the rules. Just follow them, and there will be no problem. Okay? Get to work." She demanded. I grabbed my notebook, but not my math notebook, or any school related notebook. It's the notebook I keep to doodle in, or write my thoughts on anything and everything. I write down music I like, things I want to get, anything really. I'd be mortified to find anyone reading this thing. I have this reputation that's kind of tough and never caring about how much trouble I get in. I hate that reputation, but it lets me live in peace.

I put my cheek in the palm of my left hand and started practicing perfecting circles. I heard quiet giggling coming from behind me, and I glanced up at the P.E coach to see if she noticed anything. She was still inhaling her cheez-itz, and was doing something on her ancient phone. I rolled my eyes and moved the palm of my hand to my forehead, trying to not cause attention to myself. I looked back behind me, seeing Mitch again. I did a little thing called smiling, and he smiled back.

I went back to my notebook, and flipped to a clean page. I started writing. 'Hi.' I quietly tore it out and folded it perfectly. I looked up checking if the Sasquatch was caring to pay any attention to us, and of course she wasn't. I quickly turned around and tossed it onto Mitch's desk. I could feel his eyes studying my movements afterwards. I heard him slowly unfold the paper. I felt something slide down my back and into my chair. I grabbed the paper from behind me, and anxiously opened it. 

'You don't want to talk to me, or know me. You wouldn't even want to be caught talking to me by anyone.' I thought about it for a second, and wrote 'Why so? You seem interesting. I don't talk to anyone anyway.' I folded it back up and passed it back to him. I started playing with my pencil awaiting the feeling of the paper again. Once I felt it back in my chair, I grabbed it and looked back up at the coach who was examining the room. I placed the note in my lap and grabbed my pencil to look as if I were doing something productive. 

I shot my eyes back up to the front of the room, and was in the clear to read what Mitch had wrote. I unfolded the paper and read, 'I'm far from interesting, trust me. No one cares about me, but I know you have a rep here and I don't want to ruin that.' I sighed and felt a little aggravated. If knowing this boy will get rid of a reputation I hate, shouldn't I take that chance? No, if knowing this boy will make me happy, I should take the chance. I wrote my number on the paper and told him not to bother writing anything else, and to text me after detention. 

Two more hours, and I'll be able to get out of this chair. I'm feeling stiff. I turned back to the page I was doodling on, and continued drawing the beautiful boy that was sitting behind me.

I SMILED WRITING THAT LAST SENTENCE OMFISNHLFKNHLAKH 

c: 

Twitter: @idkoakley