seven

duljuice

It was Monday. And not your typical, "I hate Mondays," Monday, it was the "Breathing is already too much effort Monday." I grabbed my history notebook and slammed my locker. I sighed heavily, listening to the millions of conversations all of these irrelevant humans were having. I stared at the cold floor, which I'd rather be that old crusty gum sitting next to that kid's shoe than me right now.

"Good morning sunshine, I see you made it through another missed week of school." I heard a familiar voice, the only voice I can hear, Devon. I looked at his smiling, happy face. He was always the joyous one out of us. Even after that messed up break up with his ex-boyfriend, Julio. Devon was a grade above me, so after this year we've been planning to bail me out of this hell hole and he's taking me with him to L.A. 

"Sadly, I did," I laughed, and started walking beside him. "How have things been since, the breakup?" I asked. Julio was in my grade, and he only ever hung out with Devon and I. Well, Devon ended up falling in love with him, yada yada yada, they started dating. They dated for over a year, then Julio got pissed at something and then got pissed at Devon and said some very hurtful things to him. I was there and heard them, and I even hate repeating the scene in my mind.

Devon shrugged and made an 'okay' noise. We walked down an entire hallway in silence. The bell rang and most of the hallways were already empty. Devon and I were okay with being late for class. We turned a corner, and saw Julio and a kid with glasses at the vending machine. I heard Devon's breathing get cut short. I stopped walking, so Devon did too.

"We can turn around if you want," I suggested. Devon shook his head. I smiled at my strong, high headed friend. He was an amazing example, basically my role model. Julio caught a glance at us, and his smile went away. He was still talking to his friend with the glasses, but his eyes were focused on Devon.  Julio paused the other boy from talking, and started our way.

"Devon," He said as he walked up to us. Devon stayed, and sighed heavily. "You know I'm really sorry. And you know I've apologized over a billion times." The boy in the glasses stood behind Julio awkwardly, most likely not knowing what was going on. "Devon, I still love you. So much and I miss you everyday, I do. " Julio stopped, waiting for a reply. I glanced up at Devon who I could tell was trying not to cry, because his face was flushed and his cheeks were red.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Devon screamed. He balled up his fists, and kept on. "Julio you called me an annoying worthless piece of shit! I took that straight to heart and mind! I trusted you! And you stepped on me like I was a bug! I don't love you like I did Julio, but you were my first real love and I believe you'll always love them! But I do not love you the same Julio." Devon was in tears, and he ran down the hall shoving Julio out of the way. I shot Julio the dirtiest look I could imagine I could make and ran after Devon. 

Devon wasn't in the hallway. Boy, he really ran. Knowing Devon, he'd most likely go to the bathroom. Without hesitation, I walked into the bathroom labeled 'Male'. I heard faint sobbing coming from the handicap stall. I knew I would find him here. I slowly sat my stuff down, and walked to the cracked door. I opened it, and god I did not find Devon sitting there. 

"Oh my god! I am so sorry." I squealed. The crying boy looked up at me. His face was so red, and it looked as if he'd been crying for hours. His hair was a dark brown, and curly. He was wearing a light blue button up and khacki shorts. His eyes were swelled from crying, and he ripped toilet paper from the dispenser and wiped his face.

"No, it's um, okay, really." He said in between breaths. I didn't want to leave, I know Devon is strong, but this boy looked like he never wanted to be alive in the first place. I sat down on the floor in front of him, and he stopped looking at me, avoiding eye contact. 

"I'm Maddie," I greeted, and I smiled. It was most likely a weak smile, but it's the best I can do. The saddened boy looked at me again, and wiped tears falling down his red cheeks.

"I'm Zack." He said back. He sniffled, and threw the balled up tissue in the toilet sitting to his right. He was leaning up against the cold brick wall. I put my hand on his hand lying on the floor.

"Is everything okay? I know I'm a total stranger but I think you need someone to listen." His eyes looked a little hopeful. He sighed and looked at our hands.

"No, everything's not okay. All day long I've been telling everyone it's okay and I'm okay but I'm not. A couple days ago my best friend Joe was hit by a car and it was all my fault. I wanted to have a fun time because ever since school started and him and I were told if we were charged with anymore attempts of crime, which were harmless, that we wouldn't be able to finish high school. Since then, Joe has only ever focused on school. Everyday, all day, and I missed him as my best friend. Well, that night I was going to explain to him that not only I missed him as my best friend but I wanted something more, I was going to tell him I was in love with him," He grabbed a tissue as another couple tears fell from his eyes.

I patted his leg. "It's okay, keep going. Trust me, I know finally letting someone else know feels better than keeping it all in." He sniffled again and leaned his head back. He took a deep breath, and continued. 

"So I won't really get into detail, but that's not the only reason why I'm like this. The entire day, well I," He stuttered. "The entire day my mind's been playing out how I'm going to commit suicide today," He took a second. "But then there's that one percent of me knowing it's wrong." I was caught off gaurd by that. I took a moment to regather my thoughts, and talked to him.

Hours on hours passed by. Eventually we were both laughing and smiling. Four times the bell rang, and we were still sitting in the bathroom for last period.

"Do you want to come see Joe with me after school?" I looked at my phone, which read 3:16 P.M. We have 14 minutes. I nodded yes, and Zack suggested we just go ahead and leave.

"Oh I don't have my license," I started. 

"I do," He giggled and helped me up. He grabbed his bag and I grabbed mine. We walked out together and snuck around a teacher and went out the back doors. Zack grabbed his keys and we got into the car. We pulled out and we started on our way. It took about 40 minutes to get to the hospitol. We walked in, and Zack checked us in. We started to walk towards the elevator.

"Move!" We heard someone yell. I turned around and saw perimedics rushing someone on a gurney to the elevator. Zack and I moved to the side, and the four men around the gourney started carefully loading the person into the elevator. That's when the horror struck. 

"DEVON!" I screamed, and tears rushed down my warm face. I watched my best friend get cut off from me by elevator doors. I banged on the metallic doors with my fists, and I was in tears. "NO! NO!" I wailed.

Hey so I've been sick and I just figured out how to end this chapter soooo sorry for the extremely late update ;-; ily 

Social Media:

Twitter: @idkoakley

Tumblr: www.ftbayani.tumblr.com

Instagram: @FTBAYANI