thirteen - teeth

That night everyone was at the camp we had set up; Astarion, Halsin, Shadowheart, Wyll, Karlach, Gale, and I. We sat around the fire, eating and drinking, everyone merry and slightly drunk. No one was ready to venture into the cursed shadow lands.

Halsin, Shadowheart, and Gale sat near each other- conversing about their different schools of magic. Wyll and Karlach were sat with each other talking about different fighting techniques. I felt a slight twinge thinking Lae'zel should be with them, regretting leaving her to her own devices.

Astarion sat near to me, one leg crossed in front of him, and the other propped up behind me. He had one arm placed over his knee, and a glass of wine in his other hand. His usual mirth was lacking in his features. He watched the flames before us dance in silence, eyebrows knitted together. I set my bowl down to the side, pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my cheek along them, watching him.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Hm?" The sound was short, distracted. He looked up with lifted eyebrows, his deep frown easing a little off his face. "Oh, sorry, darling. I'm just a bit- lost in thought. The poem Cazador left on my back..."

"I could try to read it for you?" I suggested. I understood a bit of infernal; it was after all how I had identified the writing so many mornings ago. Astarion stared into his glass of wine, considering.

"Any excuse to get my shirt off," he said, his gaze suddenly catching mine. A grin spread over his face, but the look in his eyes didn't match it. He licked his lips and sighed. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt. But we should- perhaps retire for the evening, first. I trust our little gang of weirdos, but I don't feel like putting a wound that deep on display for them. Private matters, for now."

I nodded in agreement and watched him stand, brushing dirt off the back of his trousers. He gave me a small nod and walked off to his tent, past the others with a murmured good night to them. Gale's stare was upon me, though he maintained conversation with Halsin and Shadowheart. Shadowheart also took the opportunity to smirk at me.

I flushed, and stood up, quickly brushing myself off. I kept my head high, making a point not to look at Gale or Shadowheart as I walked by.

"Where are you off to?" Gale asked. I paused by him.

"I'm- helping," I stuttered. "Astarion has a problem."

"What sort of problem? Perhaps I could be of some assistance," Gale said with a small smile. I bit my lip, holding back a smile of my own.

"It's- something he really only wanted my help with," I said quickly. Gale looked like he was about to protest more, but Shadowheart interjected.

"Oh, is it?" Shadowheart said. She had a wolf like grin on her face. I sighed and rolled my eyes, feeling my blush grow deeper.

"It's nothing like whatever you're thinking, Shadowheart," I said. I gave a short bow and continued on my way. "Good night, everyone."

I followed Astarion into his tent. He was sat on the ground, his back to me, but his shirt was still on. He looked over his shoulder at me when I entered.