fifteen - harpers

"So, you and Astarion," Gale said on the elevator ride up. I turned to look at the other wizard. He was looking straight ahead, watching the bricks as we rose.

"Yes," I said simply. I looked over at Astarion, who had a little smirk on his face. He glanced at me, and the smirk only grew, his eyes glinting.

"I see," Gale said.

There was disappointment written all over his features and in his voice. I tried to recall every interaction I'd had with him, whether or not I'd led him on. Nothing came to memory- just exchanged pleasantries and occasional conversation, before we'd agreed to journey separately for a while in the underdark.

I had no more time to dwell on it as the elevator finally came to a stop. Astarion opened the gates, and we all stepped through.

The air felt immediately different- heavier, darker. Everything had a dark, greenish, bluish tint to it. The stonework room that the elevator opened up to was in great disrepair; more remnants of the ancient temple we had just been in. A deep sense of dread settled into my bones. This land had been cursed and dead for a while.

"We're going to need torches," Halsin said. He took the lead, and made his way over to where some were resting against the wall, distributing them amongst us. They would stay lit for a while. "These won't protect from the darker parts of the land, but it will be enough to keep the shadows from harming us for now."

I nodded my head. We continued on, but stopped short rather quickly- an old man blocked the path we needed to take. He had long greying hair, and a long grey beard; dressed in an elegant red robe with a blue sash, and red hat lined with blue. Gale took a step forward.

"Elminster?" he said, brows knit together. The old man turned toward us, and recognition crossed his features when his gaze landed on Gale.

"Gale, my boy!" he said with great joy. "Thank goodness. I've had to don my best pair of boots and expose them to so many miles of country."

"Whatever for?" Gale asked. "Surely you must have good reason."

"It is grim news indeed," Elminster said, shaking his head. Gale's expression turned even more concerned. "It is regarding that orb you carry in your chest."

We all exchanged looks. I had forgotten that Gale was a ticking time bomb; despite having to hand off multiple magical items for him to consume. Gale took in a slow breath, and let it out just as slowly.

"Well, out with it, old man," Gale said sternly.

"You're not even going to invite a poor, old man to sit with you and enjoy some cheese and rest his feet?" Elminster placed a hand over his heart.

"No," Gale said. Elminster made a sound of disapproval with his tongue, and shook his head.

"Very well, then," Elminster said with a sigh. "There is no easy way around it. Mystra has- bestowed upon me the ability to stabilize that orb in your chest. You would be able to detonate it at will."