twenty six - to Baldur's Gate

When we awoke, everyone spent the entire morning packing for Baldur's Gate. Even Astarion remained focused on packing; making sure he had everything he needed. Everything he needed to take on Cazador...

I was distracted as I packed, watching Astarion do his work, still pondering over what he would be like ascended. The ability to walk in the daylight without the threat of becoming a mindflayer was an enticing blessing. I would be able to enjoy the sun with him every day even after we resolved this whole Absolute business...

I sighed dreamily and then shook my head, resuming what I was doing. But that little ball of excitement remained pooling at my core.

We spent the remainder of the day traveling the road to Baldur's Gate. There was the remnants of a battle being waged as we went. And soon, we were just on the border- just outside Rivington. A shiver of excitement ran up my spine as we began to set up camp; night had fallen and we were all tired from a day of travel.

Shadowheart and Gale helped me set up the campfire and prepare the meal for the night. Karlach and Wyll sat on a bench near each other in the ruins we occupied. Astarion sat in a chair outside his tent, head tucked in a book. Halsin was whittling- what looked like a duck. A tiny grin tugged at the corners of my mouth at the sight.

When I was done helping Shadowheart and Gale get the meal prepared and started cooking, I made my way over to Halsin and sat down next to him. He stiffened momentarily and returned to whittling. I might have imagined a pink tinge on his cheeks...

"That looks incredible so far," I said quietly, watching him work. My grin had only grown in the time I'd taken to sit with him.

Halsin cleared his throat once before he said, "Thank you. It's... a hobby of mine."

I couldn't help but chuckle lightly. Halsin paused his work and turned to look at me.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Nothing, it's just- cute," I said with a shrug. Halsin rolled his eyes and then resumed his whittling.

I smiled and continued to watch him work, though I could feel the gaze of another burning holes in the side of my face. One quick peek told me that Astarion was watching intently. I shivered at the thought: he was jealous of the attention I was bestowing upon Halsin. I only grinned wider before I stood up and dusted myself off, making my way back over to the campfire.

Our meal was finally ready to eat. Everyone gathered around, and I held Astarion's gaze the entire time as I made my way to sit next to him with my plate of food in hand. He, of course as a vampire spawn, had no plate of food; though he held a glass of wine in one hand. He took a sip of that wine, and with his free hand he gently squeezed my knee, his hand lingering there afterward. I shuffled closer to him, and focused on my meal.

Astarion watched me the entire time I ate, and I kept my eyes on my plate the entire time- while our companions conversed around us. Every now and again we would cut in with our own comments and stories, and eventually I brought my gaze up to meet his. He grinned as he watched me.