Chapter 146

Chapter 146 – Fate

“Ten thousand years ago, Yun Jizi of the Divination Pavilion foresaw a prophecy and then perished.”

Lu Chongyun was puzzled as to why Yao Jiuxiao suddenly brought this up. With a somber tone, he recited the prophecy: “The passage upward will be cut off, the earth’s core will crack, mountains and rivers will overturn, and heaven will not last forever.”

“For tens of thousands of years, Yuanqi Continent has been engulfed in war, but before the prophecy, it wasn’t always in conflict as there were times of recovery… Later, rumors of world destruction spread, causing panic. The powerful beings from every race sought escape routes. Nearly all who could ascend did so.”

Few stayed to seek a sliver of hope, as they felt unable to turn the tide and stop the catastrophe. The powerful ones took their most cherished ones and left, while those left behind felt abandoned. That period was the darkest time for the Yuanqi Continent. Beings from all three realms cried out for salvation, but they were forsaken. It was like a final frenzy, filled with slaughters and madness. Countless souls wailed on the land, their spirits couldn’t lay to rest.

Yuanqi Continent gained another name: The Land Abandoned by Heaven.

After ten, twenty years… when people finally sobered from their frenzy, the Yuanqi Continent hadn’t perished, but countless lives were lost in the slaughter, leaving a war-torn land. Some then claimed the prophecy was false, that Yuanqi would not be destroyed.

A hundred, two hundred years passed, and Yuanqi still existed. Most people, seemingly forgetting that the prophecy referred to ten thousand years later, believed the continent wouldn’t perish. This belief seemed to cover the fact they were abandoned, and the prophecy was no longer mentioned.

However, even though the world had forgotten this prophecy, it remained hidden in the records of various sects, accessible to those of sufficient status, especially the Divination Pavilion that had originally divined this prophecy.

“Five hundred years ago, another Diviner defied the heavens to seek the answer, interpreting the stars to unfold the heavenly secrets, do you remember?” Yao Jiuxiao asked in a subdued voice.

Lu Chongyun’s expression turned solemn, his tone heavy, “Fate cannot be defied.”

“The Diviner who dared to peek into the heavenly secrets suffered a backlash, his cultivation diminished, and he received heavenly punishment—”

“Blindness.”

Yao Jiuxiao walked out of the pavilion. He stopped at the end of the cliff, gazing into the mountains shrouded in clouds and white mist.

After sitting silently for a moment, Lu Chongyun stood and joined Yao Jiuxiao.

“Since entering the Great Ascension stage, I’ve always felt trapped. There were these vague feelings, as if the heaven and earth itself is a cage that imprisons us, leaving us struggling in vain.”

“Senior Brother…”

“The Diviner then secluded himself for two hundred years, emerging only to divine one last time, exhausting his vitality, and finally foresaw a chance of survival.”

“Eighteen years ago, I sensed something, a variable within the ancient secret realm.” Yao Jiuxiao, a genius whose cultivation brought him close to heaven, could also divine fate, predicting others but not himself. However, whenever he tried divining for Lu Chongyun, for others, for anyone, it was always a dead end.

“…Senior Brother,” Lu Chongyun frowned, “I’ve never asked, but what did you encounter in that secret realm? If I’m not mistaken, your daughter was conceived there, right?”