4 - "Plans Cancelled"

Katori Walker played in the bulletproof luxury Escalade SUV as Gia and Kutu rapped the song word for word as loud as their lungs would let them

Katori Walker played in the bulletproof luxury Escalade SUV as Gia and Kutu rapped the song word for word as loud as their lungs would let them. The partition was up so their noise wasn't disturbing the driver.

It was a short song so the two girls had it on repeat. They were just picked up from school and were heading back to Gia's house. The two girls went to different schools. Gia went to one in Long Island and Kutu in Staten Island. But the driver would pick Gia up who got out of school first and then would get Kutu.

The two girls were sad as Kutu's time in the house was coming to an end. Her family had almost been there for two months now so everyone would have to return to their regular lives which would make Gia bored again. Sure she had two newborn sisters; but they were babies, there was nothing to do but watch them sleep all day.

"I'm hungry." Kutu whined. She was craving some American junk food.

"Okay, I'll tell the driver to stop." Gia said.

Kutu was always amazed by how Gia lived. She overheard her mom saying her aunty's husband was dangerous but Gia seemed to like where she was and there were no complaints from her friend.

Gia got an allowance from Lotus so she had money to spend. They had the driver stop at Burger King and got two Whooper meals. The two laughed and talked on the way to Gia's house.

"Have you guys been okay? You and your dad?" Kutu asked.

Gia knew she was implying about Gene's death. Kutu wasn't trying to be nosey, she genuinely wanted to know. The last time she brought it up was when Gia was temporarily staying at her aunt's house because no one knew how her adoption would go at the time.

"We've been okay, my daddy's better too. He's not the same obviously, but he's doing a little better."

"He's really quiet."

"Yeah." Gia said. She couldn't even say he always was, because she remembered a time he was really fun and silly. Losing Gene changed him.

"He reminds me of my uncle Kawsu. He's like that."

"You guys have cool names. Kutu, Kawsu, Jeneba, Oluchi..."

Kutu smiled. "Really? Most people make fun of my name. They usually call me Coo-Coo."

Gia didn't mean to giggle but she couldn't hold it in. She looked to see if Kutu would be offended but she wasn't. She looked amused herself. Kutu was really pretty, she had unique features like a model.

"I'm gonna miss this." Kutu said, talking about the drives home. Once she returned to Staten Island in the next few weeks, the time with Gia and the fancy car rides would be over.

"I know but you can still come over on weekends and maybe I can go to your house in Staten Island sometimes."

"Yeah, true." Kutu said.