9 - "Prophets"

Lotus refused to admit he was obsessing over the news as each story came on

Lotus refused to admit he was obsessing over the news as each story came on. Refused to think he cared about a particular story he stood here wondering if they would cover or not. Didn't think the last twelve hours of no sleep was due to him wanting to see if Lisa's body had been discovered.

Part of him wanted the vultures to get her before the police did. But he knew they wouldn't. There weren't any kind of vultures in Queens, New York City that would destroy a fresh human body unless they were pit-bulls trained to kill. So he knew he would have to settle for a plain old fashioned discovery of a body.

Lotus didn't notice he was squeezing and unclenching his hands, anxious to see the faith of Lisa Marshall. There was a time he thought he would never not care for Lisa. She was his everything; his first girlfriend and only love—until recently. Now he hated her, the ground she walked on and her entire existence. He regretted the day he met and touched her.

Then it happened. The title of the news story came across the screen. Bronx woman found slain in kitchen of her apartment.

Lotus smiled when her picture came on the screen. It was a younger picture. Maybe her early twenties, but she looked the same now as she did then. This photo seemed like a time it was during their four year breakup.

"South Bronx residents are shaken by the mysterious death of a woman who was murdered in the kitchen of her Bronx apartment. Residents say gang violence and drug disputes gone wrong are common in their complex. So the solo gunshot at around 4:15 in the morning didn't ring any alarm bells until around five in the morning when a neighboring apartment opened their door and found Lisa Marshall's door cracked open. The neighbor said he pushed the door open and that's when he found the victim with a partial missing skull and a single gunshot wound to the back of her head."

Lotus' smile got wider, extending from one start of his face to the other. It wasn't the same type of payback for his son dying, but it was a little somethin' somethin'.

"Lotus?"

Lotus's hand instinctively shot out toward the tv, turning the screen black. He looked to his left to see Noelle and Gia standing there as the Gambian chef Tijan was proceeding to the kitchen. Lotus's eyes followed the chef who started taking out pots and pans to begin breakfast. Then he looked back at Noelle and Gia.

What the fuck is everyone doing up so early? Out of all days, today everyone wants to be awake at six in the morning? Lotus thought to himself annoyed.

"Was that Miss Lisa?" Gia questioned. Lotus noticed it seemed as if the child had been crying. She was wrapped in her blanket, the fabric over her head as well making her look like a ghost. She was cuddled up to Noelle who was staring at him in concern.

"What is everyone doing up so early?" Lotus asked annoyed. He wanted to view the full story while it was premiering. But obviously he couldn't do it now. He would have to watch the pre-recorded version.