Nine

✵✵ Devika's POV ✵✵

It was my first chance to get to take my little brother out, even if just down the school, and now it's all just in a funk. I sighed as I tapped the steering wheel at a red light. I glanced over at him. He kept his gaze out the window.

"Leonhart," I spoke finally. He didn't turn to face me. I wasn't too concerned about it. I knew he could hear me. "After testing, do you want to go to a skating rink? I noticed you like your heelys and Alfonzo said you picked out more pairs. So, I take it you like to skate?" He turned to look at me with a raised brow.

"I do...but I have chores after testing." He stated. I chuckled. The younger sisters wouldn't even question me if I tried to get them out of punishment.

"I'll make you a deal. Are you in?" I watched him read me. I was a fashion designer at my own company, but I also had another job for the family business. I'm the assassin in the mix.

"Hm? No. Sorry." He whispered, touching his face. He missed how everyone actually dared to yell at Genevieve for slapping him. Even I raised my voice. She doesn't usually do things like that, so it was clear she needed sleep. Lennox is taking over for her today while she takes some time to rest.

"Genevieve didn't mean to slap you, or Phoebe. If you noticed, Phoebe was shocked as well, since it's not something Eve does. Please, don't hold anything against her. She was wrong, yes, and she will apologize to you, I know. So let's go skating after te-"

"No thank you." He interrupted softly. "I do want to go skating, but....not till my punishments are over. So, if possible, can you ask again when I'm no longer in trouble?" He was looking at me with those damn eyes. Why was he soooo cute! I grin and nod my head. I think my 13-year-old brother just showed how much mature he was compared to me.

✦⋆✦ Leonhart, age 13 ✦⋆✦

The testing began when school began basically. I sat in a single room with some older lady who seemed to dislike me. I wasn't sure why....I mean, I have never been here before. Maybe she's naturally grumpy.

"Leonhart, focus." She spoke, causing me to look away from the window. I quickly began to finish. This packet wasn't even divided into sections. It was a mix of all subjects of all grade levels.

After five hours, but of course, I had breaks, lunch and such, I was done! It was a little after 1, and this school gets out at 2:30, so Devika asked the school to let me stay till the others were picked up, as she got called into a fashion emergency. Like really? That trumps me? I see how it is.

"Well, if it's not little crime boy!" Gavin appeared in the bathroom and I quickly zipped up and moved to wash my hands. Gavin came over and slammed my head down on the counter. I yelp but grit my teeth. I flung my foot back, which hit him, only making him pissed. "Oh, did we learn to fight back in over a day?" Gavin laughed as he grabbed me by my hair and pulled me out of the bathroom, but made a quick turn. After he shoved me into the janitor's closet, he smiled wickedly as he slammed the door shut.

It's dark! It's too dark!

"OPEN IT!" I panicked, hitting the door. "GAVIN!" I pleaded. I grabbed my chest and felt my head spinning. If I keep panicking, I might pass out. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the door. "Let me out." I whispered. "LET ME OUT!" I lost it. Why did Gavin even have to start with me at the mall! I was minding my own business. Everything spun in my head. Right as I was about to faint, the door opened. I fell out with brooms and mops behind me since I was kicking and throwing my arms around.