Chapter 24: Resolution

John

Flames and smoke rose from the smoldering pit below. The great structure that had once stood in the center of it all now lay in ruins. "Hey John!" Maria called out. I turned to look at her. "We did it!" she said with a wide grin on her face. I couldn't think of words. My fingers, still slightly trembling. I ran my tongue over the skin of my upper and lower lip. The salty metallic tang of blood ran over my taste buds. It was satisfying. Aaron came running over to me, accompanied by David and Rose. "Did anyone see Grim?" Aaron asked hastily. "No, why?" I said. "No one's seen him since the building collapsed," he said. My twitchy fingers went numb. I felt my face go pale. I turned and started walking back down the ramp which led to the ground of the quarry. Maria grabbed my shoulder to try and stop me. I shook it off. "John, stop!" she said. I whipped around and faced her. I felt the slight burning of tears welling up in my eyes. "He'd do the same damn thing for any of us!" I shouted. "He would want us to go back to the town and regain our composure. The people are tired. We should take care of the wounded," Maria said. David was attempting to comfort Rose as she sobbed softly. I held the bat in the middle with my right hand. I surveyed each one of the nails, hammered through the wood so expertly by my beloved brother. "Son of a bitch," I muttered to myself. "Come on. Let's head back," Maria said. I lifted my head and looked at the people around me. Surprisingly, everyone was looking at me for a decision. There were many familiar faces, and a great number of strangers. It seems as though the people of the Hive did not know where to go or what to do, and followed the crowd in looking at me for answers. "I guess we'll head back," I said. "But I want a search party here by tomorrow," I added. The rain gently dampened my hair, plastering it to my forehead. It did so to everyone standing around. I pictured Grim in my mind, laying in a puddle of water and blood, staring at the sky as smoke rose around him. I noticed Abby and J huddling close together. Something about the way that they were standing unsettled me. I pushed past the people and walked over to the two. "You two alright?" I asked. They hesitated for a moment. "Let me see your arm," I said, observing that J was cradling her left arm. She stepped back for a moment. "Oh! Just show him the goddamn arm already!" Abby shouted at her. She sheepishly revealed a deep bite mark on her forearm. I closed my eyes and stepped away for a second. "Christ," I said under my breath. I massaged my brow, as the situation grew complicated. "W-what do I do?" J asked. I pointed to the ramp. "Might as well join the dead," I said insensitively. "Oh no. I don't wanna be one of those things," she said nervously. I pulled my 10mm pistol from its holster and offered it to her. "There's always another option," I said. She stepped back, hesitating. She was dangerously close to the edge of the crater. "I-I can't," she said. "I can," said Maria. With that, Maria stepped forward, leaned back on her left leg, and drove her right foot into J's chest with force. J was flung backwards by the force and was sent hurdling over the edge of the quarry. I walked to the edge and watched as she fell. She hit the ground with a sickening thud. "Problem solved," Maria said. I looked over at her with a blank expression. I did not know she was capable of such things. She was always so kind and wholesome. This shows that combat changes people. Plenty of things change people. Grim's loss made him change so much, it ultimately led to his death. Or so it would seem. I looked back at the group. "We'll head back to the town. Get in your vehicles and make room for the newcomers," I said. "To any of you who will be joining us for the first time, welcome," I said. "I will have you know, if any of you are still loyal to Hexblade and the Hive," I started. "By all means, go ahead and join them," I said, gesturing to the smoldering pit that was now the grave of many. "Those of you who wish to join us, you'l have to prove yourself before we can trust you fully," I said. "Help us hunt down any survivors and end this, once and for all," I said. "I think I could help with that," said a woman nearby. She approached me, staring me in the eyes. "Have we met before?" I asked her. "My name is Willow," she said. "Ah, you're that bitch that shot Dom, got it," I said. "So tell me Ms.Willow. What's stopping me from dropping you right now?" I asked. "I know where Hexblade is likely to go," she said. "I'm listening," I said. "We had an emergency escape plan, for if anything were to ever happen to the Hive," she started. "Since, you know, we're basically living on top of a live bomb," she said. "You can thank Grim for setting it off," I said. She glared at me. "Anyway, Hexblade and the superior officers, being me, Dhru, and Star voted that everyone should flee and meet up in the mountains North of here," she said. "The mountains are a large area to cover," I said. "They're meeting on a cliff with a river running under it," she said.  "I'd bet they're traveling on foot. We have vehicles. If we meet them there, they'll be under prepared and vulnerable," I said. "Choke point," she said. I sniffed in arrogance. "Fine. I like you. I think we'll keep you," I said. She smirked. "What do we do with her?" Juggernaut said, pointing to Star, who was unconscious on the ground. "Bind her arms and legs and toss her in the back of a pickup. I'll take her back to the town myself," I said. The people broke from their standing point in the large group and made their way to the vehicles. On the hood of the truck I was going to take, which was Grim's truck, there was a human head. There were vertical slashes down the eyes of it and a smile carved into the corner of its mouth. "I guess the Screamer left us a thank you?" I said, slightly amused. I pushed the head off of the hood of the truck and disregarded it. I got into the truck after making sure Star was in the bed of the truck and secured well. I fired up the engine and began to drive towards the town...