Chapter 26: Reunion

The people of the town and the Refuge had reunited with one another. Old friends socializing with one another. Some grieved the loss of those they once loved. The amount of emotions filling the space overwhelmed me. The skin of my face had been washed clean once I had settled in a bit. I left the rest of my body as it was. The rain had ceased by now. The breathing device I took from the soldier hung loosely around my neck. I walked alone past people who were standing around and talking. People from the Refuge, and people from the Hive. Everyone stuck with the group they originated from. No one socialized or mingled with people of other groups. Besides the emotions, I sensed the tension in the air. It was never my intention to invite the enemies into our temporary home. If they were willing to turn over a new leaf and fight for the cause, they were welcome. It was those that were still loyal that were a threat. Another threat to our operations were people who could not be trusted with following orders. One who I intended to speak with. I found him shortly. He was sitting alone with his rifle propped up next to him. I approached him with intent and stood in front of him. He raised his head to look at me. I searched his face for any signs of resentment. He showed none. "Let me make myself clear," I said. "No need," he responded quickly. "Excuse me?" I said, taken aback. "I just want this damn war over with," he said simply, getting right to the point. "And you are willing to listen to instruction, as to not get anyone on our side killed?" I asked "Whatever you say," he said irritably. I got a little closer. "Personally, Sophie is out of her damn mind letting you come here," I said. "You need people who can fight, right?" he retorted. "One wrong move and you're as good as dead," I threatened. "You don't scare me," he said standing up, picking up his rifle in the process and aiming it at my chest. I lunged outward with my right hand, grasping him by the throat. I gripped it tightly. His eyes bulged slightly and he gagged for air. "No?" I said, half amused. "I don't scare you?" I asked, mockingly. "I, of all people, who could snuff you out quicker than a damn candle, don't scare you?" I taunted. "You are a pawn!" I shouted in his face. I released him, shoving him backward, sending him toppling onto the box he was sitting on. He coughed and sputtered for air. "What is wrong with you?!" I heard someone say behind me. I turned slowly. Rose looked at me in horror. "What happened to you, Grim?" she whispered in a scared soft tone. "The man you think you have feelings for is dead," I said. "Don't say things like that," she whined. "I've been dead since the day I woke up in that Goddamn cryo pod," I said. "We were supposed to live together happily ever after when all this was over," she complained. "There are no more happy endings," I said harshly. She looked offended at that stated fact. She walked off, visibly upset. I turned to Will, who was still gaining his bearings. "Remember what I said," I threatened. After I had made my point clear, I left him. It was time I addressed the elephant in the room: Star being a resident of this town. We had to decide what to do with her...

Star was being held in one of the buildings towards the center of the town. I hadn't realized how such a maze this place was until now. It was symmetric and in the shape of a large hexagon.  The buildings were positioned all circling around the fountain in the center. I went to the fountain and found the building in question. It was the same building we held Dhru in. I opened the door, flooding the inside of the room with light for a moment until it closed again. Star laid in the center of the room. Dried bloodstains surrounded where she lay. The room fell into silent darkness. Neither of us spoke. I paced the corners of the room slowly. My dry footsteps echoed gently. "Your husband's best man was beaten to a pulp in this very room," I said quietly. Star whimpered softly. "I am a man of effective brutality," I continued. "But you for, I grant you a swift death," I said. "Have you no sympathy for a married couple?" she said sorrowfully. "Last I checked Hexblade didn't give a damn about my marriage," I shouted. My harsh strained voice echoed throughout the room. "His name is Bobby..." she whispered, trailing off.   Explains the stupid tough guy name. "I'm gonna kill him," I said bluntly. "All he ever did, was try to survive. He is just like you. He is just a man trying to make a life for himself and his family," she whined. I kicked her in the side. I listened to the breath leave her lungs. "I have no family! Don't compare me to that man," I said. "He is a stuck up, cowardly, piece of shit," I said. "He's done great things," she wheezed. "Status has no place in this new world," I said. She sighed as she caught her breath. "I'll give you two options," I said. "Go on," she said. "You watch your husband die, then you join him, or you die now, swiftly and painlessly, released from this cruel world, not a single worry," I said. "I don't wanna die, I wanna live," she cried. I knelt down in front of her, exposing my burnt deformed figure. "I promise you, you'll get to see your little girl again," I said honestly. Star's eyes faded slightly. I stood back up. "Was she Bobby's?" I asked. I didn't want to get personal, but if I could use the child's passing as an emotional tool I was going to. "No. I had her before I met him," she said sorrowfully. "What happened to her?" I asked. "She was out playing, despite my instruction to stay inside," she said. I stared at her blank expression as she spoke. "She was bitten," she said. "Did you put her down?" I asked. She looked up at me, meeting my gaze. "He did," she said shortly. "Close your eyes," I said. She did. "You'll see her soon. I promise," I said truthfully. I pulled my machete out of the dried out and crispy leather sheath. "Would you like to say something?" I asked. "Promise me you'll grant Bobby the same swift humane death as me," she said. "I can't do that," I said. I swung the blade with all my might, slicing deep into flesh and bone. The first swing didn't clean the head off. I drove another hacking blow to finish the job. Her body twitched slightly before collapsing to the ground and pouring blood onto the floor. The head lay to the body's side. I walked over to it and picked it up with its hair. I walked to the door, holding my drawn machete in my right hand and the head in my left. I stepped outside into the center courtyard of the town. The people talking and milling around stopped dead in their activities. I walked silently as others stared. I stepped up onto the dry fountain and placed the head at the top. "No one touches it until it turns," I said. There was no reply. People were looking on with shocked and appalled expressions. Within the people staring was Sophie, Rose, and Doctor Charles, who had come with Aaron and the others. Sophie broke the still silence and approached me. I stared down at her as she stood in front of me. "At least do her the decency of covering her head," she said. I hesitated for a moment. I walked back into the kill room and grabbed an empty woven burlap sack off of a table inside one of the separate chambers of the building. I walked back out to the fountain and grasped the head again, stuffing it into the sack. "Happy?" I said. Sophie shot me a sideways glance before walking away. She didn't speak. Maybe Rose was right. I was becoming a monster. Cole was right. I dropped the sack into the stagnant water in the bottom of the fountain. I walked after Sophie to try and catch her. I wanted to talk to her. Part of me missed her company, even if she didn't want mine anymore...