Chapter 20

Gage

I park beside my sister in the employee parking lot. The club is packed and the front lot is almost overflowing as usual. I quickly lock up my bike before making my way around to the front of the building. My man Todd is working the door and thankfully spots me in the long line of people. He motions me to the front and I wave in return as I slip quickly through the double doors. When I say it's packed I mean it is wall to wall. They must have several different parties in here tonight because it's never usually this busy this early. I immediately begin to scan the crowd for Circe or Katya. Along the way my eyes land on several men in suits and I pause briefly, relief rushing over me when they turn out not to be Ronin.

Then I spotted my sister. She's about 15 feet from me and quickly making her way up the stairs towards the VIP curtain. God damn it. I know he's got to be in there and the fact she's heading that direction I seriously doubt she knows. I push my way through the crowd and wrap my hand around her arm just as she was reaching to pull back the curtain. Her eyes bulge in fright before landing on my face. "What the fuck Gage??" I quickly pulled her into the alcove near the DJ booth. "Ronin." Her face pales instantly as her eyes darted around the main floor. "Where?" she whispered with a note of fear. "Probably right behind that curtain you were about to walk through." She visibly shivers as she whirls around to face me. "Are you sure?" she asks, her voice trembling. "Lance told me he's here. I haven't seen him. I just walked in the door. But you know Ronin, he's not going to really hang out on the main floor now is he?" She shakes her head as she swallows hard. "Take the back stairs and go down to the parking lot. Slip in the back and get your shit. Go home Circe, I'll take care of it." She shakes her head no the whole time I'm speaking. "No Gage, come with me. You don't need to meet with him. Please don't get pulled back into that shit." I smile and push her hair behind her ear. My baby sister, she's always so worried about me. "I'll be fine CiCi, you just need to get out of here." Right about that time the curtain moves and over Circe's head I see the back of a blonde head slip inside. "Oh shit," Circe exclaims, "I forgot about Kit. They have her working the VIP room tonight. She's the reason I was heading in there. She said some guy asked for me by name. She said he gave her like a $200 tip or something. I just thought it was one of my high dollar clients. I never even thought..." I went to walk past her and she grabbed my arm. "Gage don't," she cried. "Go home Circe," I told her, tugging my arm free. I turn and yank open the curtain and step inside.

Immediately I see a table surrounded by men. Men I've known and worked with for years. Men that I've done many illegal jobs with. Men I've watched kill other men. And standing in the middle of all of this is my love, my heart, my Katya. "Gage, finally brother, I thought we'd never come face to face," Ronin says. He stands and reaches out his hand to me. Ignoring Katya's look of confusion I step forward and grasp the man's hand in mine. "We could have had this meeting anytime, anyplace if you'd have only set it up." He chuckles to himself and motions for me to take the remaining empty seat. I glance at Katya and motion her over. "Can you get me a beer darlin'?" I swat her on the ass and gesture towards the door. She must read something in my eyes because she puts up no argument. She simply nods her head, "Yes Sir," she replies before exiting the room.

"Gentlemen, why don't you make yourselves scarce. Here's some play money, go have a good time on me." Ronin passes a wad of cash to one of his henchmen and the entire party stands and follows Katya out of the room. "Okay, you got me here," I say, "what exactly do you want from me?" Ronin throws his head back and sighs loudly. "Gage, old friend, we aren't enemies. Why must you sound like we are at odds. I thought our parting was amicable. I thought we agreed to stay friendly, did we not? I mean you come and go from my club, always with a hearty welcome. You have been an honored guest in my home even." I find his tone infuriating but I refuse to show him he can get to me. "We ended things fine, Ronin. 'Ended' being the keyword there. Our arrangement is over. I no longer work for you. So I don't have a clue what could possibly be so important you'd move heaven and hell to get into a room with me." Ronin looks bored as he plays with a gold ring on his left hand. "Well that's just it. It would seem I need that one favor I told you I might some day ask for." I fucking knew it. This son of a bitch wants me to do one more job. "Ronin, I'm out, O-U-T, out. I'm not doing one last job. The answer is no."