Chapter 21

Katya

I woke up the following morning and a smile played across my lips. I snuggled into my pillow before rolling over and finding not only the bed empty but the sheets cold. Gage was not only up but apparently had been for a while. I climbed out of bed and went down to my room to grab my robe, making a quick stop by the bathroom along the way. Once I'm covered up I wander down the stairs in search of Gage. The house is eerily quiet and I don't find him anywhere obvious such as the living room or kitchen. I make myself a cup of coffee and decide to check his office. I tap on the closed door before peeking inside but find that room empty as well. Curiously I make my way to the back door and find him sitting at the table out by the pool. He's drinking coffee and just staring off into nothing obviously deep in thought. He's so wrapped up in whatever is on his mind he doesn't even hear me approach.

"Good morning, I wondered where you snuck off to," I jest. He turns my way, his gaze hollow. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" He looks as if he's seen a ghost. That same lost and dazed look from last night has returned to his eyes. "I said good morning," I repeat. "Oh, yeah, good morning darlin', I'm sorry, did you sleep okay?" I just stare at him a moment before sitting down across from him. "What's going on?" I ask, jumping straight to the point. "What do you mean?" Oh lord, he wants to play that game. "I mean what is going on? Your little sit down with that guy at the club. The way you talked to me. Your abrupt disappearance. The way you are acting right now. What's going on Gage?" He regards me a moment with guarded eyes then sighs. "It's nothing Katya, just some old business that needs to be wrapped up. Nothing you need to be worried about." I stare at him waiting for more but he clams up, obviously not planning on divulging anything further. "Seriously, that's all you're gonna say?" He holds my stare and his eyes harden slightly as his tone takes on a serious edge, "Yes Katya, that's all I'm going to say."

He stands and pushes his chair up to the table before picking up his coffee cup. "Where are you going?" I ask. I can't believe he's getting up to leave. He knows me better than that. If he knows me at all then naturally he knows I'm not done with the conversation. "I'm going to my office, I have some work I need to finish and I imagine you need to head home since you have to work tonight." I narrow my eyes slightly. "But I want to talk about this," I tell him. "Well clearly I don't." He leans over and brushes a soft kiss across my lips. He gives my shoulder a light squeeze and I glance at him just in time to catch him wink. "I will pick you up tonight darlin'. Until then you stay out of trouble you hear." And with that he turns and leaves me sitting alone on the patio as he quietly walks inside.

I down the rest of my coffee as my insides slowly seethe. I don't like being kept in the dark and I don't like watching people I love struggle emotionally. Yes I said love. I love Gage, I haven't told him that but I do. I've known for a while now that I was in trouble and my feelings for him had gone so much deeper than they should but here we are. I'm in love and I'm so fucked. I'll probably get my heart trampled but I'm already in over my head and I can't pull back now. I just wish he'd open up and let me in. I want him to know he can trust me and confide in me. I know I probably can't do what he needs done, I'm not the best solver of problems. But I can be here for him. He could at least let me do that.

I go back inside and deposit my empty cup into the dishwasher. I tiptoe quietly up the stairs before walking down the hallway to my room . I throw on a pair of blue jeans and an over sized shirt. I pull my hair back in a ponytail and wash my face and brush my teeth. The whole time I think of Gage and that haunted expression on his face. Once I'm dressed I head back down to his office with the intention of saying goodbye. I peek through the cracked doorway to find him on the phone. I hear enough to discern he is talking to Tony about B&B business. I opt not to disturb him and slip silently past the doorway. I grab my purse before exiting the house and hopping into my car. Turning on the radio I prepare for the 40 minute drive home.