3. Runaway

Vaidehi

It's been two days since that incident, yet my parents haven't softened their stance. I can sense their intentions; they're likely planning to marry me off to anyone they deem fit.

Isn't it absurd how parents bring us into this world, dictate every aspect of our lives, and then blame us when we dare to make a single decision of our own?

All I can do is sit on this floor, subjected to their taunts, while gazing at the sky that seems to mock my miserable existence. I am living as a captive in my own house. When I used to watch those stars with Shlok, they used to shine brightly. But now, they seem dull and lifeless. Has their nature changed, or has my perspective shifted?

Everything reminds me of him—the warmth of his smile, the sparkle in his eyes that captivated me, and the comforting embrace that made me feel like we were in our own world.

I remember how we used to wish for our togetherness each time a star fell from the sky. 

(Past)

"Hey, that was a falling star," he exclaimed, excitement dancing in his eyes. As his words hung in the air, I eagerly reached for the telescope, hoping to catch a glimpse. But alas, there was nothing to be seen.

"You're always late! I missed another star," I pouted, feeling a bit like a disappointed child, while he chuckled at my antics.

"What did you want to wish from falling star?" he inquired, a playful glint in his eyes.

"You," I replied, cheeks flushing with embarrassment as I hastily made my escape.

Present -

But now, I realize those wishes were just childish fantasies, because although his memories surround me, he himself isn't here.

How happy we both were in our own world, a world full of love. But it got destroyed like a balloon pricked by a single pin, and it hurts even more knowing that the pin was wielded by none other than my own parents. The parents, whom I assumed would prioritize my happiness, but assumptions are always incorrect.

I want to ask them, when did I become the flag bearer of their reputation? When did I ask for it? I don't want any reputation; I just want my Shlok back.

I tried calling him, but his phone has been switched off since that day. For once, I want to see if he is fine or not.

I attempted again, but the response was the same: switched off.

I decided to call Samaira, though she might not pick up if she's on a flight. However, to my surprise, she answered after just two rings.

"Sam..." I choked out between sobs, desperation evident in my voice , knowing that only she could offer me solace in this moment of despair.

"What happened, Vaida? Did he break your heart? Tell me, Vaidu, what happened? You're going to give me a heart attack" Samaira's voice rushed through the phone, laced with concern and worry.

I struggled to compose myself enough to speak, the weight of my emotions threatening to drown me. "He... he... they..." I managed to utter before another wave of tears overtook me.

"Tell me if I need to break some bones. Just give me the name, and watch how I wipe them off from earth," Her words came through with a fierce determination, offering me the kind of unwavering support that only a true friend could provide.

"Bapu... he refused..." I choked out the words, my voice trembling as I traced my finger along the dried blood marks on my wrist, remnants of my mother's harsh grip.