6. Wedding

Vaidehi

Today is the day. The day I waited for since I understood what life is or the things my mother fed in my mind. 

She showed me dreams of prince charming but broke them herself.

And I know, I might be getting a devil in replacement.

But the main point is that everything is just like how I wanted it. At the same venue, same decorations and even the design's of dresses are same. But the main thing is missing- the groom.

The groom I dreamed of. The groom I wanted and the groom I dreamed with.

What's the point of all this glitz and glam if the person I imagined it all with isn't here?

In a while, I'll experience a brief taste of freedom—or rather, a confined version of it. Then, I'll be trapped in another place with another person. I don't know who he is or what kind of man he'll be. Frankly, I don't care, and I doubt I ever will.

My parents are thrilled. Why wouldn't they be? They've finally shed their last burden. What a relief!

They've secured ties with a respectable family, which will undoubtedly have significant political ramifications. What more could they ask for? My happiness is something none of them have considered, except perhaps my friends.

But I don't want to burden them any further. I don't want to play this game of fate anymore. Let destiny win and take me wherever it wants.

I'm just sick of it all. The glamor, the photo sessions, the forced smiles when I don't feel like smiling at all.

"You're looking elegant, Vaidehi, just like a goddess. I am sure jiju would be--" Avika chimed in, but I only hummed in response.

She didn't completed the sentence, nor do I wanted her to. Jiju - She used address Shlok with this word. But not anymore and maybe never from now on.

I should be friends with my fate now, who knows that might ease my pain.

"You sure you want to marry him?" Samaira asked for the umpteenth time, and I simply nodded.

I had no response for their questions, and I didn't want to create any more problems for them. She rushed back from Italy as soon she got to know about my marriage from her brother, she has already done a lot for me.

I am thankful that not everything is worst in my life. My friends are the only treasure I got, my most precious treasure.

"Here, take it," Samaira handed me the phone, but I refused. I didn't need it anymore.

"Keep it, Vaida. I've added everyone's number. How will you contact any of us? Take it." Samaira insisted. "And remember, I know Sanskaar a bit personally. If you ever think he's the wrong choice, just leave that house. Your family, his family, and him—I will handle everything."

I hugged her tightly. Despite how boring she might sound, she was the best thing that ever happened in my life.

"And don't be scared there, live like it's your own life. You aren't weak, not at anyone's mercy as well. Remember this," she warned in her strict yet humorous tone.

I vividly recall the day we first crossed paths, back when she was in the hospital. Right from our initial encounter, I sensed there was something distinctly unique about her. Our connection blossomed from there, leading us to where we are now.

"Well, Sam. Someone out there was looking for you.." Avika explained while giving me the final touch.

"Looking for me?"