12. It is Us

100+ Comments Fast!

Play 'Darmiyaan'

---------------------------------

Vaidehi

Anger, rage - traits I had always loathe in anyone.

On our first night, I mistook his demeanor for mere ill temper. But today, I witnessed the fiery intensity in his eyes, an intensity that seemed to radiate heat, as if something dormant within him had come alive. For a moment, I feared he would strike me, mirroring the actions of  Shika di's husband.

I could feel the heat spreading from his body, fueled by anger. Yet, I chose to remain defiant and withheld the truth from him. It was a matter concerning my family, and I was reluctant to invite any further trouble into my new life.

I flinched as he closed the car door with force, nearly yanking me out of the vehicle. His sudden reaction left me apprehensive, and coupled with my nervousness, the atmosphere grew tense.

He took me back to my parents' house, the last place I wanted to be. Sometimes, I despise him enough to envision smashing his head against a wall. But reality sinks in – he's a giant, towering over me. If I so much as raise a hand to him, he'd snap my neck before I could even touch him. I'd need someone's help for that, and Samaira would be the perfect accomplice, with Avika adding the finishing touch.

God, my mind! I'm picturing attacking him right here, in front of this house where they could all gather to kill me and bury me together. Even my husband would be delighted to join in.

At least these thoughts are preventing me from crying, or else an emotional person like me would start all over again. Don't cry, Vaidehi. Don't act like a silly child.

And then my father descended the stairs. I couldn't meet his eyes, not because I had done something wrong, but because I didn't want to appear weak in front of him, not wanting to show his fear affecting me.

Then both my husband and Bapu went inside for a private conversation. And here I was, left alone to sit under my mother's piercing gaze.

She smiled at me impatiently, her thoughts seemingly consumed by what transpired between the two men inside. Perhaps she wondered if I had told him anything about Shlok or the incident with the slap.

Suddenly, the sound of raised voices echoed from inside, causing both of us to tense up. She was worried for her husband, who was also my father, while I was anxious about mine, who seemed as careless as he was angry.

My husband emerged from the room, his presence exuding a dark aura that was both unsettling and oddly comforting. His disheveled appearance, with his hair in disarray, sleeves rolled up, and the top button of his shirt undone, only highlighted the rage etched on his face. I knew that any sound from me would likely set off this walking time bomb. Right now, he looked like the epitome of wrath, a walking manifestation of death itself.

What transpired in that room?

My gaze drifted to his hand, which had been bandaged earlier but now had blood seeping through. I glanced back up at his sweaty face, searching for any sign of pain, but found none. Was I really that bad at reading expressions?

"We're leaving, Vaidehi," He held my hand and dragged me out despite of my protests.

"Sanskaar, stop it!" I pleaded, trying to free herself.

"Leave my hand.."

He guided me forcefully into the car while I stole glances at the figure of fury beside me. He slammed his door shut and started the car.