Ragnarök

"How to Save a Life" by The Fray
***

SIGYN

"The sky is dark and the hills are white; as the Storm King speeds from the dark tonight," Loki recited softly, his voice carrying the rhythm of the words.
"Loki," said Sigyn sharply, her voice interrupting his recitation. He thought she had been fast asleep. "How many times must you read the same poetry books to them?"
Loki paused, turning to look at Sigyn with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "Ah, but my dear, poetry is like a fine wine - it only gets better with age. Besides, it's never too early to introduce the little ones to the beauty of language and verse."

"Why must you insist on reading when they're finally quiet in the womb?" Sigyn's voice held a hint of exhaustion, her patience wearing thin as the days drew nearer to her due date. Any day now their babies were due; twins if the healer was correct, although gender was unknown.
Loki lifted his dark head up to make eye contact, a devilish smirk playing on his handsome face. He used a cold hand to gently rub Sigyn's pregnant belly, feeling the gentle movements of their unborn children. Leaning his head closer to her stomach, he spoke with a playful tone, "Ignore your mother; she's been rather grouchy the further along she gets."

Sigyn rolled her eyes at Loki's teasing but couldn't suppress a small chuckle at his antics. Despite the discomforts of pregnancy, moments like these reminded her of the bond they shared and filled her heart with warmth and anticipation for the arrival of their little ones.
He was the epitome of happiness since their glorious wedding day; almost as if he had completely abandoned the strange demeanor of petty lies he had adopted in the previous decade.
"And who is the one who put me in this pregnant predicament, hmm?" Sigyn teased.

Loki smirked in response; his expression filled with amusement. "I didn't hear any complaints the night the girls were conceived," he quipped, his tone laced with mischief.

Sigyn laughed. "You keep referencing them as girls; they could be boys, or one of each."
Loki made a face, a playful glint in his eyes. "I will love them regardless of gender, but hopefully we do not have a repeat of Fenrir and Jormungand's teenage years."
"Twas not that bad..." Sigyn replied. her voice trailing off as she recalled the fighting between the brothers as vicious as if it were cats and mice forced together.
It was the look of disbelief on Loki's face that caused her to laugh so loud it startled one of the babies inside her womb. Despite the memories of their sons' mischievous teenage years, Sigyn smiled wistfully and reached out to hold Loki's hand, the bond between them stronger than ever as they awaited the arrival of their newest additions.

***
Sigyn had replayed that moment in her head more often than she cared to admit in the last day. It was a sweet moment now gone forever. As she stood over the caskets that held her babies, her heart was heavy with grief. She had not slept since the horrific incident of walking into the nursery to find Narfi devouring Vali before he was murdered by the palace guards. It had happened so quickly, shattering her world in an instant. Sigyn had sobbed more than she had in her entire life; the weight of her sorrow pressing down on her like a suffocating blanket. It felt as though she was no longer alive herself, a strong part of her felt she was going to be laid to rest along with her children's caskets.
Her father was dead as was her brothers. All killed within a bloodbath of thirty hours; courtesy of Sigyn refusing to relinquish the location of the triplets to King Odin.
The pain of loss was unbearable, consuming Sigyn from within as she stood there, a solitary figure in the darkness of her grief. Each breath felt like a struggle, each moment stretching into eternity as she grappled with the enormity of her loss. In that somber moment, the world around her faded into insignificance, leaving only the echo of her anguish to fill the empty space around her. She was haunted by every happy memory she had shared with her loved ones before they were murdered. Her mother, in her enormous grief of losing her husband and sons, blamed Sigyn and assured her she wished it had been her to die instead of them.

"Sigyn?"
Sigyn did not look up to address Sif, Thor, or Thorn. She did not know who spoke her name; all she knew was that she had not an ounce of care for the world that surrounded her. Sif came forward and rubbed Sigyn's shoulders and hugged her body, offering comfort in her silent anguish, but Sigyn was barely able to acknowledge her presence. She did not hear how sorrowful Thor was, or his disappointment that Loki had seemingly vanished. All Sigyn could do was stare at the caskets and wonder where it was that things had gone so terribly wrong.
Finally, after a long time of realizing that she was not going to speak, Sif released a quiet sob before quickly leaving the funeral parlor, her heart heavy with the weight of Sigyn's grief and the unbearable loss that hung in the air like a heavy shroud.

Sigyn, although devoid of emotion, was glad she left. She didn't want her closest friend to hear her confront Thor. It was a few heavy minutes of silence after Sif left that Sigyn was finally able to conjure her voice.
"How long had Odin suspected Loki was behind Balder's death?" Her voice cut through the air, laced with a quiet intensity that demanded attention.
Thor shot her a look of surprise, his expression reflecting a mixture of concern and curiosity. "Sigyn... Why are you asking- "
"As I cradled the bodies of my babies, your father proudly informed Loki and I he was responsible for their deaths," said Sigyn, her tone cold as she delivered the unsettling revelation.
Thor's expression darkened at the revelation, a storm of conflicting emotions brewing behind his eyes. "Sigyn, I- "
"HOW LONG?" Sigyn's voice reverberated through the room, her anguish and anger palpable, startling both Thor and the remaining Thorn with her intensity. "He killed my babies. He dragged me from my grief and demanded to know where I sent my other children. He threatened to behead me if I did not share the information; I spat at his feet. He then sought retribution by beheading my father and slaughtering my brothers. Now I ask thee once more; how long has the bastard suspected Loki?"

"I never told him," said Thor solemnly, his voice heavy with sorrow as a tear leaked down his face. "I swear- "
"You swear?" sneered Sigyn vehemently, her voice dripping with contempt. "I am no idiot. No one suspected Loki was responsible for Balder's death other than you."
The room fell into a heavy silence, the weight of Sigyn's accusation hanging in the air like a dark cloud. In that moment, the bonds of trust and friendship that once held them together seemed to unravel, leaving only the bitter taste of betrayal in its wake.
"I swear to you-"
"Get out of my face," spat Sigyn, her voice cold and cutting as she pointedly directed Thor away. "I never want to see you again."
Closing his eyes in heavy sadness, Thor acknowledged her words, promising her that he would return later to mend what had been broken. He understood her anger, her pain, and her grief. With a heavy heart, he turned and left, his footsteps echoing down the corridor as he disappeared.
It was only when Thor was long gone did someone else speak again. Thorn, all trace of boyhood long gone as an adult, stood tall and resolute, his blonde hair cascading down to the nape of his shoulders. He had grown into a knight of Asgard, strong and brave, considered by many to be Thor's heir to the throne of Asgard one day.
"It was not my father who informed Odin of Loki's misdeeds," revealed Thorn carefully, his voice measured as he spoke. "I heard him tell my mother."
Sigyn slowly turned on her heel to look at him in the eye. "What are you saying, Thorn?"

"You know of Lady Artemis; goddess of the hunt?" he asked, his words carrying a weight of significance that hung heavily in the air.
Sigyn gave a slow nod. She did not know what a member of the Greek Olympian pantheon had to do with anything.
"She has a band of hunters," explained Thorn, his voice tinged with urgency as he stepped closer. "I assist them on many occasions. One of the hunters is her twin brother Apollo's current oracle, Corinth. She has predicted that the cataclysmic events of Ragnarök were to start after the death of Balder. It was wisest to inform King Odin of these developments and who it was behind Balder's demise, for that means that Loki is the one to kickstart the apocalypse- "
"Your words to Odin are what killed two of my children," said Sigyn carefully through clenched teeth. "It was ultimately led to my father and brothers being murdered." She was shaking with rage.
"Loki is predicted to enslave all humanity and kill every last leader of immortal worlds if he isn't stopped," said Thorn, attempting to come forward only for Sigyn to back away.
"MY CHILDREN AND FAMILY WERE MURDERED BECAUSE OF A PROPHECY THAT HAS NOT EVEN COME TO FRUITION YET?!" Sigyn screeched, coming forward to aggressively shove the young knight.
"Loki must be stopped," said Thorn meekly, his eyes holding nothing but utter desperation. "I never suspected for a moment Odin would set his sights on mere babes, Sigyn."
Sigyn trembled with rage coursing through her veins, her emotions swirling with confusion and despair. She felt torn, unsure of what or whom she hated more. Thorn, for revealing the truth to Odin in a bid to prevent the supposed Ragnarök, or Loki, whose hand in the death of Balder had set in motion the chain of events that led to this current misery.

Sigyn's chest tightened with each labored breath, her lungs burning with the strain of hyperventilation. She knew she needed to leave the room, to escape the suffocating weight of her emotions. She couldn't bear to look at Thorn for another moment.
Memories flooded her mind, vivid images of him as a young boy teetering perilously on the edge of a balcony, near death if Sigyn hadn't snatched him up in time. It was a moment of sheer terror, etched into her memory with painful clarity. Sigyn had been changing the nappy of Thorn's young brother when she had seen him, his innocent curiosity leading him dangerously close to death. In the grip of her grief now, Sigyn found herself consumed by a despicable thought, a fleeting wish that she had let the boy fall to his death that day. The guilt of such a thought clawed at her conscience, a bitter reminder there was now a darkness that lurked within her own heart.

"I hope you drop dead if Ragnarök becomes a reality," said Sigyn vehemently as she turned to leave the room. But before she could take another step, Thorn's grip tightened on her arm, his fingers digging into her flesh. "Let go of me!"
"Ragnarök already has become reality!" Thorn cried out.
In the blink of an eye, he produced a beautiful dagger, its handle adorned with a glorious ruby-red stone. Sigyn's heart pounded with unease as he pressed the dagger into her hand, the weight of its sinister presence sending shivers down her spine. She felt the magic coursing through the handle, enveloping her in its dark embrace.
As the magic consumed her being, Sigyn dropped to her knees, the hard ground pressing against her skin. Confusion clouded her thoughts as she struggled to make sense of what was happening, the world spinning around her in a dizzying blur of uncertainty.
"I am sorry, Sigyn," Thorn's voice pierced through the chaos, his tone heavy with regret. "The Dagger of Delphi has been enchanted by those who do not wish to see the apocalypse transpire."
Sigyn's mind swirled with confusion and fear as she lay paralyzed on the floor, the magic coursing through her veins rendering her helpless. The weight of Thorn's words bore down on her, filling her with a sense of dread and foreboding. She was trapped, ensnared in a web of enchantment spun by forces beyond her comprehension.

"Before I lay the curse upon you, let me show you what Loki has already done," Thorn's voice carried a weight of sorrow as he spoke. In an instant, Sigyn found herself in Thorn's strong arms, her limp body cradled against his chest. Through her paralyzed state, she witnessed a horrific scene unfolding outside the castle walls, something that she was not privy to given she was lost in her mourning. The air outside was thick with the stench of fire and brimstone, and the sounds of war echoed through the air. Asgard was under a brutal and bloody attack.
A vast army of Frost Giants ransacked homes and the palace, their monstrous forms tearing down walls and showing no mercy to any Asgardian civilians they encountered. Alongside them marched monsters and dragons, each one contributing to the merciless onslaught.
Sigyn's heart sank as she beheld the devastation wrought by Loki's actions, her mind reeling with the enormity of the destruction. She was powerless to intervene, trapped in a state of paralysis as chaos unfolded around her.

Fires blazed uncontrollably throughout the town, casting an eerie glow over the anarchy that unfolded. The cries of unicorns pierced the air, mingling with the roar of dragons as they ruthlessly preyed upon the defenseless creatures. Despite the valiant efforts of the men of Asgard, their attempts to protect their loved ones and their city proved futile in the face of such overwhelming darkness.
Monsters and titans emerged from the shadows, adding to the gruesome spectacle unfolding outside the walls of the palace. No mercy was spared, and women and children alike fell victim to the relentless onslaught. Sigyn felt a wave of sorrow wash over her, her heart breaking for the innocent lives caught in the crossfire.

Amidst the chaos, the sons of Odin fought bravely, but their lives were still lost. Sigyn's gaze darted frantically, searching for Thor among the turmoil. He wielded the power of lightning, attempting to bring order to the chaos that threatened to consume them all. But even his mighty efforts were not enough to save his wife or his brothers from a fate of gory and horrific death.
The final sight of the terrifying war brewing shattered Sigyn's heart completely. There, amidst the chaos and destruction, stood Loki, the head of the Frost Giant army. Though his expression betrayed displeasure at the devastation unfolding around him, a smirk danced upon his lips as a monstrous wolf struck Odin down before his very eyes.
Sigyn's breath caught in her throat as she witnessed the ultimate betrayal unfold before her. The shock and anguish threatened to consume her as she grappled with the realization that Loki, her beloved, had truly become the architect of their world's downfall.
In that moment, as flames consumed the once-proud city of Asgard and darkness descended upon them all, Sigyn felt a profound sense of despair wash over her. The world as she knew it was crumbling, torn apart by the very hands of the one she had loved and trusted above all others.

In the aftermath of witnessing the fall of Asgard, Sigyn's mind swirled with turmoil and despair. The last moment she could recall was Thorn's voice, his lips brushing against her earlobe as he delivered the final, devastating revelation.
"Your curse is laid upon you by the goddess Artemis," his words echoed in her mind, heavy with the weight of fate. "The next time you see Loki, you will stab him in the heart with the dagger of Delphi and end his reign of terror."
The weight of Thorn's words settled heavily within Sigyn, casting a shadow over her already burdened heart. Despite the tumult of emotions swirling within her, one truth remained steadfast: Loki must be stopped, no matter the way.
***

A/N 
*Dramatic music*
What are we thinking is going to happen next!? If you've been here the last 6-7 years or your joining us now, thank you so much for reading.