First Friendship

"Moondust" by Jaymes Young
Dedicated to CarKann for the amazing banner below<3
*******************************

"First!" The young prince crowed. He was racing down the lovely countryside at a frighteningly fast pace. "Yet again I bested you!" Sigyn rolled her green eyes as her mare stopped a few paces behind the prince's horse. She was used to Prince Thor's boastful nature since she had met him four years ago. Every other word out of his mouth was a loud declaration of his proud accomplishments or insulting words towards others. The crowned king and queen of Asgard only fed into his juvenile belief that he was better than everyone, more cunning than man, and stronger than the most ferocious beasts. Even though Sigyn was only ten years old, she knew that Thor's parents were simply trying to flatter him to avoid softening his over-inflated ego.

May the gods forbid prince Thor not have a strong ego!

The fourteen-year-old Asgardian prince dismounted his horse with a sly grin, watching as the young girl jumped off her horse and tied it to a nearby post. Thor's copper-red hair was in a rather messy display, and dirt caked his chin. Sigyn fetched a pale of water for his waiting horse, and the prince kept his smug grin. "May the gods bless the day when you'll be fetching my water instead of my horse's water, Sigyn," he said. Another horse finally arrived back to the stables. "Then you will be truly serving a prince!"

Without batting an eyelash, the young girl poured her bucket into the horse's tray. "May the gods also bless the day when you are dismounted from that incredibly high horse you have settled yourself upon, my prince. Perhaps you may join us little people on the hard ground for a change."

Thor appeared confused as he alternated his gaze between his horse and the young blonde girl's face. He didn't understand her remark, but Sigyn found his confusion amusing. Meanwhile, a new rider arrived and dismounted his horse, revealing a near-smile on his pale face. He understood what Sigyn meant.

Loki, the second youngest son of King Odin and Queen Frigga, was rarely seen smiling. However, when he did, his youthful face looked beautiful and radiant, prompting Sigyn to smile back. Although Loki never spoke to Sigyn, as it was considered inappropriate for royals to converse with stable keepers, Thor often talked to her and her brothers without any apparent distinction in their social status. Other royals, including Loki, were less friendly and showed little regard for commoners. Sigyn respected Thor for his kindness. She merely disliked the young prince's boastful nature and overabundance of insulting his brothers. "Say your funny sayings now, Sigyn, we shall make a true lady out of you one day yet." Thor grinned, causing the girl to shake her head at his silliness.

"Having a good day, your highness?"

Thor rolled his eyes tiredly before sparing Sigyn a put-out expression. "I mean when I say I wish for you to refer to me as Thor alone, little one."

Sigyn wrinkled her nose in displeasure. "Tis not proper to refer to royals in such a way," the girl said, while her ivory cheeks warmed finding the prince's younger brother was watching her. It always made her nervous to find Loki was looking at her; he always seemed to have such an old gaze behind his young blue orbs. Sigyn felt compelled to look away only before she realized she did not want to. The young girl enjoyed looking at Loki, it was as simple as that. She had a childish infatuation with the boy where she felt compelled to smile at him whenever he looked to her. A strong part of Sigyn did not know why she bothered to smile; Loki often looked at her as if she were mad.

"As I have told you and your brother Sulgroy before, I do not care what is proper." Thor chortled. "When I reign as my father's successor, there will be no more segregation between royals and commoners," he said, smiling proudly.