Loving Monsters

"Moondust" by Jaymes Young
********************

Sigyn was more than daft. She was not even fully foolish; she was quite possibly the biggest idiot that had ever walked the realms! Care for Loki's children? CARE for Loki's children!?! He treated her worse than piss in the mud! Why would she agree to care for his three young babies during the night...? She was a bumbling buffoon who deserved to have sense quite literally smacked into her. The cold-hearted Loki was probably fast asleep in his tower, snuggled under a blanket as he slept by a warm fire. Where was she to be? Taking care of the children HE created! Sigyn was surely going to be up to her hands in dirty nappies and soiled burp clothes. She had never even engaged in sexual passion before! Why must she watch his children?? Sigyn did not have a hand in creating them! Damn Angrboda for abandoning her children, and damn Loki as well for marrying the monster.

Perhaps it was the thankfulness behind the queen's eyes that Sigyn agreed to this ridiculous request. Or, perhaps, it was the woman's promise to triple her healthy salary Sigyn already owned. Her family needed the money, no doubt about that. Yet at this rate, Sigyn felt no different than a harlot. Instead of opening her legs for any man who paid the right price, she merely whored herself out by cooking, cleaning, and child caring. There was no time to mentally berate herself further; they had arrived at the corridor where Loki resided. Upon entry, Sigyn momentarily glanced towards the direction where Loki's bedroom resided at the tallest tower's staircase. "I must warn you, these children...are...different," Queen Frigga said quietly, sounding as though this was almost a warning.

There was a very odd tone to her voice that Sigyn did not fully understand. "I do not follow," the young woman admitted as she walked slowly behind the queen.
Frigga took a deep breath, motioning for Sigyn to follow her into a rather large nursery that was far larger than Sigyn's family home. The room was quite beautiful. Ivory plagued most of the room from furniture to the color of the walls. The room was decorated in different sections. One, was a vivid display of pink and ivory. The next, was a very soft sky blue. The one after that was a lovely seafoam green, each color scheme obviously representing each of the triplets. "Only one of Loki's children is an infant, Sigyn," Frigga quietly revealed.
That explained next to nothing, and even confused the young woman further. "No disrespect, my queen, but what does this mean?"

Queen Frigga's lips pursed rather tightly as she led her to the first crib. "You should meet the children before I answer such a question," she said quietly, leading her further into the nursery. Inside the first large ivory crib a very tiny baby was swaddled in a cream and pink blanket. The pink was accented all throughout the crib inside the blankets while flowers were engraved onto the wood of the crib. The child inside of it was beautiful. She held the darkest of hair, a midnight black that was so richly dark, Sigyn's heart swelled knowing she inherited this beautiful head of hair from her father alone. The baby girl slowly blinked her eyes open, revealing she held powder blue eyes like her father's.

All Sigyn wanted to do was pluck the baby girl up and hold her against her for a hug. She pushed away the thought immediately. Once upon a time, Sigyn held silly girlish notions that she and Loki would have their own family. She would grow round with Loki's child long after they were married, and the two of them during the duration of her pregnancy would laugh and jest that they hoped the child was nothing similar to Loki and his mischievous ways. They would have adorable chubby toddlers and together she and Loki would live happily ever after.

Sigyn frowned at the baby. That dream died the day Loki broke her heart. It was further annihilated when she discovered Angrboda was pregnant. That dream was still dead, as was any chance of her and Loki reuniting. Glancing at the little girl inside of the crib, Sigyn felt a pang in her heart. She relished Angrboda for having this beautiful little girl who resembled her papa so greatly. Thinking of the woman made Sigyn also hate her for abandoning these poor newborn babes.
"She is beautiful," Sigyn whispered, missing Loki so very much as she watched his gorgeous daughter wiggle in her blanket.
"This is the only normal child of Loki and Angrboda," Frigga said softly, watching her granddaughter with a loving gaze.
Sigyn felt a twinge of sadness realizing the other babies were probably deformed. That was usually what individuals referred to when they called babies normal versus not. She frowned. "I bet the boys are just as beautiful as this little lady."

Queen Frigga shot her an incredulous stare, but said nothing more. She merely motioned for Sigyn to follow her to the next crib. It was also large and ivory, with beautiful patterns decorated into the fine hard wood. This one had designs of swords and axes, specifically hand crafted for male children. Hues of light blues decorated all through the crib in the form of blankets and toys. Inside the crib, however, lay a small animal. It was quite furry. Jet-black fur covered its small body and pointed -yet lopsided as the animal squirmed under the blankets – ears stood on the creature's head. Sigyn stared. There was a small wolf inside of a crib where a baby should be. "Is that...." she sucked in a sharp breath. "Is that a wolf?"