The Parentless Trio

"Roslyn" by Bon Iver and St. Vincent
***********************

Thirteen months passed after Sigyn discovered that Angrboda was carrying Loki's child. To make matters worse, after the encounter with Sif where Sigyn had broken down in the woman's arms, Thor's wife was impulsive enough to inform Loki of her devastation the very next day. The woman meant well intentions, but conversing with Loki regarding his impending family with a frost giant was the very last thing Sigyn wanted or needed. The prince tried to apologize profusely, exclaiming that he had no choice in impregnating the frost giant; she slipped something in his ambrosia filled wine the eve of their wedding. He was merely a victim in believing that it had been Sigyn he had laid with...

Whether or not this was true, Sigyn did not know nor care. Loki held a silver tongue; he was quite the crafty liar when he wished. There was no real way to be certain whether he was lying. Personally, Sigyn did not dare look for any truth behind Loki's eyes. She kept her distance after discovering the pregnancy. The very last thing she wanted was to remain in love with the prince. She did not wish to be a concubine or second wife, even if it were for the man she loved.

The reality was quite simple. Loki made his bed, now, he simply had to lie in it. The year passed at a decent pace, going faster and slower at different intervals for Sigyn. Angrboda carried a very long pregnancy of fourteen whole months, quite common for that of a frost giant. The princess of Loki was not simply carrying one child; exams with healers confirmed she was carrying triplets. That only dug a deeper hole in Sigyn's heart.

Twas bad enough the young man she adored married a monster. After that, he had to go and procreate multiple children with the frost giantess as well! Sigyn tried very hard not to show any disdain for Angrboda even though Sif did not do the same. Sigyn nodded when glanced at, fetched things when the princess randomly ordered her to. Luckily, since she was exclusively a handmaiden reserved for Sif, these few times she was required to be around Angrboda were not often. Still, Sigyn found the woman wretched. The frost giantess looked lovely when she wore a natural Midgardian form. She had short cropped brown hair and piercing hazel eyes. Her skin was pale, although nothing similar to her husband's. Even though she looked like an angel, the woman held the mannerisms of the devil.

Angrboda harbored a massive temper that frequently erupted. If she disapproved of clothes set aside for her, her wrath could be heard down the opposite corridor where she resided with Loki. Tantrums ensued when she wasn't rewarded with something she deeply desired, whether it be jewels, emeralds, or Midgardian delicacies to fuel her pregnancy with the triplets. To Sigyn's dismay, the monster even craved such earthly pleasures. Human body parts. Livers. Kidneys. Blood. Typical meals that frost giants consume.

According to King Odin and Queen Frigga, these were sold often enough on Midgard for the right price. Sigyn found it sickening that the humans sold blood and organs to one another for a price, but she kept this to herself. Loki married the monster; he could feed her inner beast when she desired human. May the gods help her, Sigyn missed him. Loki hurt her to the point she felt her heart had broken. Still, he was not merely the man she dreamed of making a life with, he was her very best friend. They laughed together, they learned together, and they enjoyed being around one another. Even after a year of no speaking, Sigyn was holding a rather difficult time pretending Loki meant nothing to her.

To make matters worse for the maiden, her father considered her far too old to not be married. Sigyn was reaching eighteen-years-young. By Asgardian standards, she should have been married at fifteen. If she were not careful, she could wind up with no husband at twenty! Sigyn did not truly understand why not possessing a husband mattered. After all, Asgardians were not like humans; they lived very long-life spans. Even if Sigyn waited until she was in her forties to marry, she would still look no older than she was now.
"Are you paying attention...?" Queen Frigga called, casting Sigyn a very stern look. This was the first time Sigyn had seen the queen in months. She was visiting her grandson today. The queen did not technically hold the messy toddler, she had her personal handmaiden hold the boy while she simply watched him while occasionally smiling.
"Yes, my queen," Sigyn said, approaching the queen with a cloth to wipe the boy's face. Knowing better than to hand the clothe to the queen, Sigyn handed it to the old handmaiden who was ordered to feed the boy while Frigga watched.
"Now Pyx, you are to be the one to care for the triplets by nightfall-"
"Oh no no no my queen!" Pyx whispered, her brown eyes holding fright. The older woman shook her head rapidly. "I cannot be ordered to watch those beasts!"

Sigyn raised an eyebrow as the queen sighed. This was quite the odd conversation to overhear. Loki was not Sigyn's favorite person by any means, but the comment was rather rude. She had heard a month previously that Angrboda had given birth to a daughter and two sons. Not much was spoken upon the birth of the triplets. In fact, no royal announcement was even made upon their birth. Sigyn merely learned of their birthday from the gossip that plagued being around the handmaidens of the castle. The children were not spoken of often or at all. This was more than fine to Sigyn; during the last month of the babies' existence, she was fine with never hearing of them. Sigyn could not even look Loki's way when they passed one another in a corridor. He hurt her too badly.

"Pyx, I implore you to reconsider..." Frigga whispered, seeming to momentarily forget Sigyn was in their presence. "The children need to be cared for during this difficult time."
Pyx held a great deal of bravery, or Sigyn figured the old woman was so very accustomed to working for the queen she knew not to fear her. "HA! Those are not children, m'lady," the haggard woman warned crossly. She held Thor's son tighter against her bosom as she grimaced. "Those are beasts; creatures of the night; monsters so terrible they would haunt the dreams of Midgardian children-"
"You are exaggerating greatly."
"They are cursed beings, my queen," the old woman rasped, holding the toddler closer as if to protect him from her tale. "Those babes are prophesied to be the destruction of all of-" Sigyn's rough laughter cut the old woman off. She transferred her gaze to Sigyn, raising dark brows high. "You dare laugh at me, girl...??"

"I dare to laugh at your rude remarks regarding mere children, babies, even," Sigyn answered boldly, uncaring that Frigga's eyes now rested upon her. "I do not deem appropriate these words to be spoken regarding the grandchildren of the Queen."
"She knows it to be true, pauper's daughter," Pyx spat. "That is why she holds no qualms with-"
"Hold thy tongue, Pyx," Frigga said, eyeing Sigyn rather strangely.
"But m'lady-"
"The maiden Sigyn is accurate. You shall not utter one more syllable regarding my grandchildren. Is this understood...?"

Pyx said nothing more, casting Sigyn a foul look instead. It was as though she was judging her for being scolded. Queen Frigga now turned her full attention onto Sigyn after fully dismissing Pyx and the toddler from the room. "You defended my grandchildren's honor. Why is this?"

Why did she defend them? Sigyn held no need to verbally defend children of her ex-love and his wife. She owed Loki nothing. He did not deserve an act of kindness for himself or even for his children from her. But Sigyn's eyes softened as she knew the reasoning behind her motives. Loki was the babies' father. If they were anything like their papa, the children were well worth protecting. "Loki is a good man, made so by your mothering. I have no doubt his children hold as much grace acquired from Loki as you passed on to him," Sigyn said, nodding her blonde head slowly. This was a decent answer that was respectful to the queen as well. She made to gather the rest of her supplies to carry into Thor and Sif's bedroom before the queen paused her movements.

Frigga lay a gentle hand upon Sigyn's arm, surprising the young woman. She looked hesitant to speak for a long moment. "I will triple the salary provided to you by my son and his wife if you were to become Loki's children's caregiver," she said, her eyes quite wide and holding nothing but sincerity.

Sigyn's mouth fell open in surprise before she quickly collected herself. "M-m'lady, I am flattered, but I cannot do such a thing." It was not even that Sigyn grew too comfortable being around Sif and Thor. She simply could not be expected to care for the children Loki had with another! Sure, it had been a very long time since she had even kissed Loki, but her feelings did not evaporate. She still dreamed of him; still craved being in his arms and snuggled against him. Holding his children and acting as though she did not secretly resent them...?? Sigyn could do no such thing.

"I am mere close to begging," Frigga whispered hoarsely, her eyes suddenly fearful. "Many caregivers have either dropped the charge or simply refused to come back. They will not watch the month-old children, nor will they watch the female one alone given she wishes to be around her brothers when they attempt to take her from the nursery."
Sigyn frowned. There were many strange things attached to her words, but only one truly settled into her mind. "You say female one, almost as if the girl possesses no name."
"That is because she does not," Frigga replied, grimacing. "The children were not named prior to their birth a month ago."

Sigyn would have laughed if not for the fact the queen showed all seriousness. "How could they not be named...?"
"Their mother abandoned them the second they were out of her womb," Frigga said through clenched teeth, looking as though she would box Angrboda's ears if she were near. "She retreated back to her land. She claimed she would only feed the children her milk and care for them if they could return with her. Otherwise, she boldly stated she did not care if they died."

"Thatis repulsive," Sigyn whispered, her green eyes wide. How could a motherleave her own new babies?? How could she not leave her milk for them...??"My queen..." she whispered slowly. "Are you saying Loki'schildren have been motherless for the last month of living?"
"Practically fatherless as well," Frigga replied, shaking her head indismay. "My son spends all of his free time locked away in his tower, refusingto come out. I have caregivers during the day for the children, but I do nothave one for the night when they are at their fussiest. Tis difficult to findindividuals who are not terrified to-"

"I shall do it," Sigyn said immediately, her eyes widening at thestupidity of her words. Why in the underworld would she agree to work anightshift carrying for Loki's children? But she did it; she truly just agreedto such an action. There was no time to back out of her words given the beamingsmile the queen wore.

"Brilliant! You shall start this evening!" As she excitedly begancalling Pyx so she could bid her grandson a farewell, Sigyn wanted to strangleherself for agreeing to watch the children of the man she once loved.
***