Devious

"Monster"by Skillet
******************

SIGYN
"Come on, sweet pea, just a few more steps," Sigyn cooed, her voice filled with encouragement and pride. It was abundantly clear that Loki's children were extraordinary. The triplets had displayed remarkable abilities from an early age, with Fenrir leading the way. He was technically the first to walk, run, jump, and even play games of fetch, displaying agility far beyond that of typical Asgardian children his age. Hela and Jormungand weren't far behind, quickly catching up to their brother in skill and prowess.

As Sigyn praised Fenrir for attempting to dance to Loki's piano music, Hela was determined to surpass her brother's achievements. With shaky legs, she stood up and began to walk, her determination evident in every step.

Loki and Sigyn exchanged astonished looks as they witnessed the girl toddling around like a newborn griffin. Jormungand had been increasingly experimenting with shapeshifting since the night he vanished, a sign of his growing abilities.
Despite her exhaustion, Sigyn made it a priority to visit the triplets every morning and night. Sleep was a luxury she couldn't afford, but ensuring the triplets felt loved and cared for was her utmost concern. As midnight approached, Sigyn let out a tired yawn, her energy waning. She caught Hela as the baby girl toddled towards her, planting a gentle kiss on her dark head.
"Your mama is tired," Loki remarked quietly, joining Sigyn on the floor where she played with the babies. He effortlessly scooped her onto his lap as she held their daughter.

"I am not tired, just resting my eyes," Sigyn muttered, leaning against his collarbone.
"Mmhmm. I believe you, darling. But perhaps it's time to return to your chambers," Loki suggested.
"No!" Sigyn's voice was louder than intended, her green eyes wide as she shook her head. "I'm not ready to leave them..."
"You're exhausted and hardly sleeping. How do you expect to be ready for your engagement party with my idiot brother without proper rest?" Loki's tone held a hint of concern.
Ignoring his snide remark, Sigyn replied firmly, "I've already explained numerous times, Balder's intentions are pure. This engagement is to ensure you're not exiled, and I'm not condemned to death."

"I'd sooner suffocate myself than offer congratulations to Balder on his engagement to the woman I love," Loki replied bitterly, holding Sigyn closer against him.
She sighed gently before planting a quick kiss on his surprised lips. "Marrying Balder means nothing. You are the only one I'll ever be romantically involved with."
"Says you! Do you really believe Balder will simply let you follow your heart and not demand you share his bed?"

Sigyn scowled as young Hela picked up on the raised voices of the two main adults in her life. She started to sniffle before Sigyn pulled her in close and offered her a bottle. The hungry child latched on, her eyes lazily drifting closed. "Of course he won't," Sigyn whispered soothingly.

Loki snorted. "Balder is a man, my love. A man who desires you and wouldn't hesitate to take you to his bed if given the chance. For now, he sees marrying you as a 'favor' to us. Soon, he'll suggest you share his bed to avoid suspicion from Odin's handmaidens. Then, he'll propose you sleep naked in his bed to maintain the illusion-"

"Stop it, Loki!"
"Why?" He challenged in a whisper, mindful not to wake the now-slumbering Hela. "Where does the deception end, Sigyn? How long before he asks you to bear his child-"
"You are the only man whose children I wish to carry in my womb," Sigyn interrupted, kissing him fully on the mouth.

This paused his small tantrum. "Any babies you carry of mine would be part frost giant," Loki grumbled under his breath before returning her sweet kiss.

"It makes me already love the hypothetical baby of ours just a tad bit more." Sigyn winked. Hela gently dropped her bottle from her small baby lips. She poked her head up as if she could understand such talk. "Do not give me such a look, sweet-pea, I love you and your brothers as if you were all three my very own," she smiled before kissing the baby's forehead.

Hela's cheerful smile brightened the room as Sigyn repeated the playful motion a few more times. The baby's infectious laughter even brought a smile to Loki's face, though it quickly faded into despair. "I cannot bear the thought of witnessing my soulmate marry another man," he murmured, his forehead resting against Sigyn's temple.
"I beg of you not to attend, my love," Sigyn pleaded softly.
Loki scoffed. "As if avoiding the wedding would make this charade any easier."
"Loki, if there were any alternative, I would not go through with this marriage-"
"I understand, Sigyn..." Loki interrupted, his eyes weary. "But the truth remains. Once you marry Balder, there's no turning back. You know that, don't you?"
Sigyn closed her eyes, holding Hela closer to her chest. "Yes."
"Eventually, you'll have to yield to staying in Balder's bed-"
"Please, don't speak of that," Sigyn whispered, fighting back tears as Hela nestled against her arm.
"You will be wed... Till death do you part," Loki said solemnly. Though Sigyn trembled at the weight of his words, Loki appeared lost in contemplation, as if grappling with the truth behind his own statement.
***