Mine and Mine Alone

"Eyes on Fire" by Blue Foundation
Dedicated to Freakazoid98 for the awesome gif of who they picture as Loki and Sigyn. :D

********************

"You cannot escape this," said Sigyn coldly, annoyed at the trouble Loki was providing her this evening. A week had passed since the awkward night where he had drunkenly encountered her. Loki had kept his distance since then, either too embarrassed to remember the conversation to speak with her about it, or, he had been too drunk to remember what had been said. He did not, however, keep his distance come nightfall. He would stay around the nursery, quietly observing what seemed to be the nature of the children. The triplets were seven-weeks old now, slowly becoming more lively the older they became. Which meant Sigyn was now busier at night.

That night, the middle child – the serpent – slowly wound himself around Sigyn's arm before closing his emerald eyes for sleep. Loki had been inside the nursery for a while now, and he was casting Sigyn a set of narrowed eyes every moment she pushed the issue of the triplets still not having been named. "For the love of the gods, they are babies; you cannot simply never name them," Sigyn chastised, gently stroking the snake's glorious scales.

"They are my children, I do not have to name them if I wish not to," Loki answered curtly, sounding more like a petulant child than anything else. He watched her with a pout, as if disappointed that in the two hours he had been watching Sigyn, that was the only matter she wished to discuss with him.
"All right, as you wish, no-name," she answered just as curtly.
"What...?"
"Nothing, no-name."
Loki's dark brows furrowed. "What the devil are you doing?"
"Me? I am doing nothing, Prince no-name. I am merely caring for an infant, who now holds no name as his father does."
Loki's lip curled, realizing what it was she was playing at. "You think you are clever, do you...?"
Sigyn feigned innocence. "Heavens, no. I am merely pointing out that if your children are not worthy of a name, then neither are you," she replied bitterly, settling the sleeping snake into his tank near the warmth.

She barely registered that Loki had come to stand even closer, watching as she moved on from infant to infant, making sure each one was settled into bed. Surprisingly, the baby girl was fast asleep, but the pup was the one making the light whimpering sounds. Sigyn crept over to eye him. "I guarantee you are only fussing because you feel it off your sister is not," she murmured, plucking the cub up to cradle against her. Being very quiet, she slowly took a blue blanket with her to hold for the pup when he fell asleep. She also grabbed some goat's milk in an infant's bottle. Eventually, Sigyn had to motion for Loki to follow her.
"I can linger if I wish," he boasted.

"You can, sir no-name, but if you wake that baby girl, I shall rain a fiery inferno of hell down upon you," Sigyn said with a steely glare, silently daring him to push the issue.
Looking surprised by how serious she sounded, Loki obliged by teleporting himself out of the nursery. He slowly followed Sigyn after that, and even intentionally followed her as she went to settle herself down into a chair while holding the wolf cub. Once he spotted what she was doing, he looked perplexed. "Why are you holding him as if he is a baby...?"
Because he was. What kind of idiotic question was this? Sigyn grit her teeth together. "To specifically annoy you, no-name, satisfied??" she snapped, irritated that the fool has yet to realize that his shapeshifting sons were fully capable of changing back to a natural form if they wanted to. They simply have not, yet.
"I feel I have touched a raw nerve."
"Well do not feel you have anything to do with my nerves being touched," Sigyn replied stiffly. "As a matter of fact, if you cannot make yourself useful and name your own children, I would rather not see you at all."
Loki said nothing as he sat himself down on the nearby chair, running a hand through his black hair. He looked baffled at her hostility. "Is there a reason we have not spoken of that night?" he asked carefully.

"Which night is that, no-name?"
It was getting on her nerves that Loki had taken to watching Sigyn care for the children every night since his drunken episode. Sometimes, they would engage in snarling remarks towards one another as she worked to place the babies asleep, but most of the time, Loki would watch her soundlessly. He would say nothing from when she entered the children's nursery to when she would leave. Loki's lips pursed before he spoke. "The night you confessed that not only are you falling in love with my children, but, that you still love me as well."
Sigyn took in a sharp breath out of surprise. How had he heard her? He was so very drunk he could not even keep himself conscious! The pup took Sigyn's loss of attention to start nibbling a tad too roughly on his bottle. She worked to get him to suck more gently, rubbing his furry tummy the way he enjoyed it. Soon enough, he relaxed once more, sucking the bottle gently as his eyes began to close. "I do not know what you are referring to," Sigyn answered quietly. "Lying is not an attractive color on you."
"Tis a good thing I speak nothing but the truth," Sigyn answered defiantly, glaring at the smug smile Loki sported.

"I recognize the signs that reveal you lie; the flushed cheeks, the pursed lips, the stormy eyes-"
"Perhaps you should spend more time learning how to become a father and less caring whether or not I hold feeling for you, Loki!"
"Ha, ha! You said my name," Loki drawled smugly, sparing her a soft wink.
Sigyn's left eye gave a gentle twitch. The immaturity he held even after becoming a father was a bit surreal. It was amazing how she could feel so much anger and yet amusement for a single soul. "I hate you."
"Well, here is another lie."

"Leave," she implored, her lovely green eyes holding sadness. She cradled the infant in her arms, disgusted by his father. "Reconcile the fact that I do not wish you around and be gone."
Loki sat himself back on the chair, spreading his arms around it. A wry smile lit up his handsome face. "You seem to be forgetting you are in my chambers, Sigyn."
"I am inside your children's chambers. You do know who they are, correct? The babies you created yet refuse to name?"

"I do not want that reminder."
Sigyn scowled while thanking the all-father she was so preoccupied with holding the baby boy, she could therefore not slap his father. "Too bad, they are your children you did not name. The reminder is constant until they possess one."
"No," Loki interrupted, shaking his dark head adamantly. He looked hesitant to speak once more. "I do not want that reminder that I made the children with someone who is not you."
Sigyn ignored the flutter in her heart upon these words. She diverted her gaze, not wishing to look at him further. "Well, you did."
"And yet, you love these children," said Loki, his brows furrowing as Sigyn burped the young cub. After a wolfish interpretation of a burp transpired, the baby nestled himself into Sigyn's arms, slowly falling into a deeper sleep within moments. "I feel it, I see it. I watch the way you care for them each night, and I have seen the pained look on your face when you leave them..." Loki admitted quietly. "You love them as much as I love you."

"You do not know the meaning of love," spat Sigyn in agitation. "You do not understand that loving someone is putting another's needs above your own."
Loki pouted once more, seemingly put out that she was arguing him on this. "Is this merely because the monsters do not have a name?"
That was the last straw to push Sigyn's temper over the edge. "IF I HEAR YOU CALL THEM THAT WORD ONE MORE TIME, I SHALL END YOU!"

A startled cry echoed from the nursery, causing Sigyn deep regret for her outburst. The young woman was exhausted; it was nearly two in the morning, and the last thing she needed was to wake the crankiest of the infants up.

Sigyn tiredly went to hand the furry cub to Loki, who seemed rather hesitant to accept him. It was her glaring that made him scoop the child into his arms. "I am holding him," Loki defended. It was only finding that the pup was still fast asleep that inspired Sigyn to leave him alone with his father. "Do not dare to drop him."
"How foolish do you take me for?"

Sigyn cast him a steely gaze but did not answer such a question. She hurried into the nursery to comfort the crying girl, satisfied that she had not woken her other brother. "Shh...Do not fuss, little one," Sigyn gently cooed, cradling the darling girl against her as she plucked her from the crib. The baby sniffled with an unreleased sob as her blue eyes watched Sigyn carefully. That was the moment Sigyn bore witness to the baby's changing skin color. Her rosy, pink cheeks slowly morphed to a frigid looking blue, almost resembling her being out of breath. "L-Loki," Sigyn called worriedly, hurrying out of the room while still trying to calm the baby.
Loki came immediately upon her frightened call, his eyes wide as he looked around for what was the matter. "Are you all right? What is wrong??"

"Her cheeks and lips are turning blue...She has never done this before," Sigyn whispered, worried her yell caused the baby girl distress.
"Shh...Do not cry, love, tis all right."
"She is not crying, I-I have s-settled her crying," Sigyn whispered, watching the baby with heavy worry.
"Darling, I am speaking of you, not the child. She is, after all, a frost giant. This is perfectly natural for her skin to change color."
Sigyn barely registered that she was, in fact, crying. Light tears streamed down her face as she watched the baby with concern. She snuggled the tiny one against her, praying she did not cause their illness. Loki had set the pup down in a nearby chair, allowing the child to be swaddled in blankets while sleeping. He approached Sigyn before gently holding onto her shoulders. "Love, when was the last time you slept...?"
Sigyn's bottom lip quivered as she only had eyes for the beautiful -yet still blue lipped- infant she held. "I cannot bear the thought of one of them being harmed, Loki..."