Chapter 2

Int. Bedroom, Arlo and Gwen's Apartment - Morning

They didn't have to tell Gwen anything.

At least not today, Arlo sits by the end of the bed.

They kept thinking about the word "today" as if they were trying to kid themselves. But it wasn't about convincing themselves that they would tell Gwen sooner or later, it was about convincing themselves that they were the kind of person who communicated, who was good.

"Are you though? A 'Good' person?" Tamara, Arlo's ex, some might say their only ex, popped in front of them.

Arlo stares at their colorful, striped socks with email envelopes and tiny hearts.

Tiny surprises... Tamara told them that on their first date.

How a small detail like that could be carried to other phases of their life? Although the memory of Tamara wasn't something they carried out of pleasure- it was more of a self-check.

"Arls babe, you know they say no answer is an answer in itself, right?" Tamara looks at Arlo's beat-up black vans.

They grab them, put them on, and sigh, Today is going to be one of those days...

Arlo knew today their mind would force them to live in the past along with the memories that they would like to think were random- but weren't.

Awesome... Arlo slaps their knees and gets up.

They walk up the bedroom frame to see Gwen making breakfast, she scrambles some eggs in a pan while making a small giggle dance.

How can she be so chirpy so early in the morning?

Looking at Gwen sometimes gave Arlo the most off-putting sensation. A mixture of envy, confusion, and anger filled them. Since Gwen became a part of their life they constantly lived in fear, worry, and guilt. Fear she would whiter when they weren't near, worry they would never find out, would never see them again, and guilt of not being better for her even though they knew it was all temporary.

Int. Living room, Arlo and Gwen's Apartment - Morning

Arlo walks up to the bathroom, they open the door and grab their toothbrush.

"No!" Gwen floats and slaps the toothbrush out of Arlo's hands.

"Gwen!" Arlo turns around, their face is red "WHY?!"

"I'm making breakfast!" She floats to the kitchen counter, there is toast and scrambled eggs with some crispy, burnt bacon "You can't brush your teeth before eating!"

"Aaargh!" Arlo stomps to the bedroom, they open a drawer and take out a package with new toothbrushes, they take one out.

Gwen watches all of their moves with a hurt expression.

"Is... is everything ok?" Gwen's voice trembles, she hated the tight, knot on her chest when she realized that Arlo was mad. She never knew what would make them mad, but she had a faint sensation that it was always her.

Arlo closes their eyes while they brush their teeth.

"No." Arlo turns around, they spit the toothpaste in the bathroom sink.

Gwen floats to the middle of the kitchen, her arms tight against her chest, and her hands clasped together. She plays with her fingers.

"Oh..."

Arlo rubs their eyes "I'm late for work"

They go to the bedroom, open the enclosure where Blueberry and Pancakes are, they sleep on top of each other in their hammock. Arlo gently caresses them.