You...what? (David × Male! Adopted! reader)

Requested by: whyyy1111111

WHEEEEEEE!!! Second time writing with a male reader! If the reader seems female at times, I'm sorry, I PROMISE to try to remember that the reader is male.

Btw, as you keep reading, you'll notice that Y/N sounds like an older brother, and he is. He's about 2 years older than Hilda.

Anyways, enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------

All you wanted to do today was just go on a good old adventure with your sister and your friends. Nothing special.

Some chaos, some fun, some good, old-fashioned fright (in the good way), nothing too bad.

But now, you're all stuck in a cave with an evil, greedy, lonely, somewhat gay, merman who's manipulating your brains just so you can stay and watch his little show.

Why do these things always happen to you? Why can't you just go on a normal adventure?

Well, it's Hilda. How could you ever go on a normal adventure?

You see, almost everything was fine before you met Hilda. You had a normal, albeit boring, life in Trolberg, you had your best friends Frida and David by your side, who made you forget about your lack of parents, even if temporary, and you lived in a nice orphanage. Everything was fine.

Well, except...you had always felt like you were missing something from your life. A sense of adventure, freedom, risk. You needed a challenge, you needed to feel the rush of adrenaline in your veins to feel alive. But you just couldn't find anything to suit your adventurous spirit.

That was until Hilda came along. She took all of your lives for a whirlwind, and, frankly, she changed the whole town ever since her arrival.

You were more than just emotional when her mother, Johanna, first offered to adopt you. You knew she was very kind, and you had been missing that piece of your puzzle, you know? You felt like you needed some kind of wise compass to guide you on this journey of life. Johanna filled that role and did so much more. She's a wonderful mother. And Hilda's a great sister! She can be...annoying, at times, specifically when you just want to have a break from your now-chaotic life, but she's great.

So, when you told your mother that you were just going to go out to chaperone Hilda on a nice little trip with the Sparrow Scouts, she was delighted (and insisted you dressed up nice, to your dismay), and off she sent you and your sister to a little kayak excursion in the woods.

And now, you're here, stuck trying to make an annoying merman go away, with your friend David clinging on to you for dear life.

"Dave, what's wrong? This isn't even really all that scary, it's just...mildly obnoxious. Not really that far away from a typical day with Hilda, honestly," you said as you tried to pry him off of your side.

"Hey!" Hilda scoffed as she turned around to face you, an adorably angry expression on her face. "I'm not obnoxious!"

"That's debatable," you responded. "Anyways, none of this is your fault, David, it's fine."

"It technically is, though! I lost the map, so I got us stranded here! And we LITERALLY just had to escape from a GIANT SEA SERPENT earlier!" David countered, hugging you tightly.

"That serpent wasn't real. It was like a...illusion or something. Right? Yeah, an illusion! So, don't worry, it's fine."

David sighed. "How are you always so calm about these things?"

"I'm Hilda's brother, bro, what do you think?" You deadpanned.

"I guess you do have some experience..." David admitted.

"Would you two stop flirting back there and help us out with this?" Frida intervened, pointing at Eugene, the merman.

"Oh, right. The whole 'being stuck in a cave with a sea monster' thing," you mumbled, your half-lidded eyes barely showing emotion.

"Sea monster? I am a merman, thank you. But I do look quite like one, don't I?" Eugene replies.

"(Name)! Stop being all snarky so he can let us leave," David said, pulling on your sleeve.

"Nah, man, he trapped my best friends, my sister, and this poor girl Louise over here, and as the chaperone, technically, I'm not going to let this stand. I'm gonna do what a teenager does best: be moody and sarcastic in order to avoid talking about the problems at hand," you said proudly as you put your hands on your hips.

David dragged his hands down his face in dread. "We're so doomed."

"Hey buddy!" You exclaimed to Eugene. "Why don't you tell us your excruciatingly complicated backstory, complete with background visuals?"

"I'd be happy to!" Eugene exclaimed, breaking into song, which no one was expecting.

"WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!" David whispered to you.

"To distract him. People love talking about themselves," you said matter-of-factly.

Suddenly, he started moving the boat across the river inside of the cave and stuff, and you guys were swirling around in a maze full of bright neon lights. For some reason. This 'Eugene' guy really likes to be a drama queen, you think.

Of course, to all of this, David was holding on to you like you were his lifeline because, honestly, he thought you were.

"H-Hey, (Name)? I-If we're going to die-"

"Which I EXTREMELY doubt we will, but continue, buddy-"

"-I just wanted to tell you something," David said, continuing after you interrupted him.

"Yeah? What is it?"

"I...I LIKE YOU! A LOT!"

At that point, the boat had already stopped, and the others heard, most likely due to the fact that the background noises, paired with Eugene's singing, were not that loud.

You blushed bright red, both from being flattered, and from embarrassment. "Wow, David, I...I didn't know you felt that way. About me, I mean. And now everyone else knows it too, haha..."

"Sorry!" David apologized as he rubbed the back of his head sheepishly and smiled. "But...yeah. I guess I wanted to tell you because-"

"Because you thought we were all gonna die?"

"Yep. But, uh, we didn't. So...what do you think?" He asked as he smiled nervously.

"You mean...you're asking me if I want to be your boyfriend?" You asked as you blushed a deeper shade of red.

"Yeah, essentially," he said as he got closer to you, awaiting your answer.

"...Yeah. Yeah, I would love to be your boyfriend and all that! It would be really nice. I...I think I like you too, David." You smiled at him, and in the background you could hear giggling, most likely from Hilda, and you could hear gleeful ranting coming from Frida. Did she know this whole time, and she was just waiting for David to confess to you? That little rat. She's really good at hiding things when she needs to, dang.

"I'm so going to tell Mum you have a boyfriend now when we get back home. If we get back..." Hilda said in between giggles.

"You are not telling Mum ANYTHING without my permission, you little scamp. Come here!" You exclaimed as you started chasing her, to which she leaped off the boat quickly and started running. Good lord, how much energy does this kid have?

All the while, David sat there with a huge smile on his face, shaking his head in fondness.

(Eugene was just watching the scene being all like 'WHY ISN'T THE ATTENTION ON ME ANYMORE?!')
---------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I WROTE THIS ALL IN ONE SITTING, OMG-

I think it turned out pretty freakin good, if I do say so myself! Credits to my main peep, Donutiscooltoo, for helping with the ideas. You're the best!

I hope you enjoyed, and have a great rest of your day!