Chapter 3

Stormstar's POV:

The sun was beginning to set when Flamefur and Tigerstripe finally returned to camp. Stormstar saw them, got up from near his den and trotted over to the two young warriors. He stopped them with a flick of his tail and meowed, "Where were you?"

His paws itched to move off the cold and uneven sand but he knew that wasn't an option since all of Lightclan's camp was filled with sand. Soon, he's have to find a way to remove the sand and replace it with solid ground.

"Battle training." They both replied in unison.

"You left just before sunhigh. Now it is nearing sundown. How could you have trained for that long? We were getting worried something had happened to you." Stormstar's tail lashed angrily and he felt his claws slide out of their sheaths and into the soft sand underpaw. "I was about to send out a patrol to search for you."

"Look, we're sorry." Flamefur snapped impatiently, her eyes blazing with aggression. "Next time don't assume the worse of us. We're warriors, we know what we're doing." She shouldered her way past Stormstar and stalked towards the fresh-kill pile with Tigerstripe following silently behind her. Stormstar watched her take a plump mouse from the pile and he sighed softly before turning back to his den. He trotted up the small incline toward his den but someone stopped him with a yowl.

"Stormstar!"

He turned to see Dawnheart trotting after him. "Stormstar." She said again. "Sorry, I was resting in the Warriors den. What did you find on your border patrol?"

"Nothing." Stormstar replied. "But we didn't go too far out. For now, I don't want our territory too big incase there is trouble."

Again, he was looking for every excuse possible to make sure they didn't make this new territory a permanent home. Stormstar found himself mentally clawing at his mind for his mouse-brained thoughts. By making these excuses and delaying the inevitable, he was causing problems in his clan. If they didn't set a proper border soon, there was a large chance that someone would find Lightclan's camp without realising they'd entered their territory.

Thank Starclan nothing has happened yet. But soon our luck will run out...

______________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

Nutwhisker was just about to settle into his nest at the far end of the medicine den when Watersplash came trotting down the tunnel and inside. Her amber eyes lit up in surprise when she saw Nutwhisker in his nest, "Tired already?"

"I've been doing a lot exercises with Hazefang and I spent the rest of today searching for watermint. I also plan on waking early to collect bedding tomorrow." Nutwhisker shrugged, his ears drooping slightly. His body ached from tiredness in his muscles and bones and he sighed sofly, wishing he had some daisy leaves to sooth his aches.

Watersplash put away the poppy seeds she had in her mouth into one of the little shelves she and Nutwhisker had dug out for the herbs. Then she padded across the den, making sure her pawsteps were light so that she didn't wake Hazefang, and she reached Nutwhisker. The grey she cat settled beside Nutwhisker in her own nest.

Nutwhisker turned away and was about to close his eyes when a gentle tongue rasped over his head. He jerked his head up in surprise to see Watersplash had leaned over, her pelt pressed against his. She purred softly as she bent down to lick Nutwhisker behind the ears again. She didn't say anything. She just flicked her tongue rhythmically over Nutwhisker's fur, soothing the tension in his body and mind.

A calm purr formed in Nutwhisker's throat and he closed his eyes, feeling much more relaxed. Watersplash's tongue continued to rasp over and around his head. Sleep was threatening to take over but just as Nutwhisker was about to be sucked into a peaceful dream, Watersplash tensed and a small mew of distress came from her.

Nutwhisker was sitting up and examining Watersplash within a heartbeat, his sleepiness gone in a flash. Watersplash tried to nudge Nutwhisker away but she seemed to be in her own world. Her eyes seemed glazed, staring at nothing. Her breathing was short and fast. Her heartbeat raced. Nutwhisker felt his own pounding heart match Watersplash's eractic beats as panic welled up inside of him.

"W-Watersplash?" Nutwhisker croaked, his voice shaky. "What's wrong?"

Watersplash closed her eyes for a second and she went still. Then, she blinked her eyes open and sat up abruptly. "I'm fine." She snapped, her voice cracking from what sounded like grief and fear. Nutwhisker was about to ask again what was wrong but Watersplash shoved Nutwhisker away with a bitter glare, "I'm. Fine." She repeated, her voice strong and hostile this time. Her tail flicked protectively toward her stomach, but Nutwhisker didn't notice.

He took a step back, stung by her words. Watersplash had never talked to him like that before. Something must be terribly wrong. "P-Please, Watersplash. Tell me-"

"No!" Watersplash hissed, her fur rising along her spine in anger. She lashed her tail, her amber gaze bore into Nutwhisker. "Get away from me!"

"W-What?" Nutwhisker felt his heartbeat literally stop beating. His blood ran cold and his paws were frozen in place. "B-Bu-But..."

"Go away, Nutwhisker! Get out of the den and out of my sight!"

Something seemed to shatter inside of Nutwhisker at those words. That was the last straw.

Just as Nutwhisker was about to whirl around and race out of the den, he saw Watersplash's eyes flash with regret, but he was already halfway up the tunnel by the time his mind registered it.

Tears streamed freely out of Nutwhisker's eyes as he pelted out of the tunnel opening and straight out of camp. The sun had set and no one was in camp. No one saw him leave.

Nutwhisker hared across the sand covered floor. His paws pounding on the ground. His heart thrummed in his throat. His tail streamed behind him.

The crashing waves were in sight and Nutwhisker broke from the undergrowth and onto the exposed beach. He didn't stop. Only when he reached the edge of the water did he finally screech to a halt, sending a shower of sand into the water.

Small waves lapped at his paws, sending cold chills down his spine. But Nutwhisker didn't mind the cold, it numbed his pain.

His heart throbbed and tears ran down his cheeks. Sobs racked his body and he lowered his head to watch the water around his paws.

"Starclan," Nutwhisker cried quietly, "why?"

A piercingly cold wind blew around Nutwhisker, sending sand up into the air. The sand stung Nutwhisker's pelt and he closed his eyes to shield himself from the showers of sand around him.

Another loud sob came from Nutwhisker's parted jaws and he screwed his eyes shut even further.

Why did Watersplash do that?

Then, his bitter-self replied with, You're worse than a kit by crying like that. You're not medicine cat. You shouldn't even care about Watersplash! You are an utter disgrace to the medicine cat code. You should leave the clan if you can't deal with a simple argument.

Nutwhisker felt his whole body tense in anger, grief and misery. Emotions clouded his mind and he couldn't seem to form any words or thoughts anymore. His claws unsheathed and his fur spiked up. His eyes blinked open, a blazing green fire dancing in them as he stared angrily at his own paws. The wind pierced his fur painfully and sand went into his eyes, but Nutwhisker didn't care.

Then, he let his emotions free.

________________________