Chapter 9

Stormstar's POV:

A surge of excitment pricked Stormstar's pelt as he padded out of his den early in the morning. It was the day of the apprentice's ceremony and gathering. It was one of the only day that moon with something interesting happening, except the part when Nutwhisker went missing. But that wasn't really exciting anyway.

Stormstar saw a few cats lazily padding to and from dens or eating at the fresh-kill pile. He looked away and headed down the trail toward the smaller clearing were the Highboulder lay. He entered the clearing, grateful that the ground underpaw was slightly more solid in that area. He trotted up to the large boulder, bunched his muscles and sprang up. His claws scraped the rock as he made his way up.

Once Stormstar had made it to the top, he settled down at the edge, his front paws curling over the lip of the rock. With a deep breath, he yowled. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highboulder for a clan meeting!"

In order for everyone in camp to hear him from all the way in the Meeting Clearing, he had to yowl a lot louder than he used to in their old territory. His ears buzzed and his flanks heaved from the effort of the call.

Luckily, he was heard and soon cats came trotting into the Meeting Clearing. The apprentices new what was going on, Stormstar saw that their pelts were well groomed and their eyes shone with anticipation.

As soon as the soft chatter died down, Stormstar began the ceremony. "I, Stormstar, leader of Lightclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn." He beamed down at the apprentices. "Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

A chorus of, "I do." Rang from the apprentices.

Stormstar dipped his head with a smile, "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Silverpaw, from this moment you will be known as Silvershy. StarClan honors your quick thinking and swiftness and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

"Greypaw, from this moment you will be known as Greystep. StarClan honors your skills and determination and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

Stormstar continued. "Flowerpaw, from this moment you will be known as Flowerstream StarClan honors your kindness and understanding and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

"Eaglepaw, from this moment you will be known as Eagleflight. StarClan honors your strength and courage and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

"Honeypaw, from this moment you will be known as Honeyburr. StarClan honors your sweet personality and eagerness and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

"Mistpaw, from this moment you will be known as Mistcloud. StarClan honors your energy and bravery and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

"Redpaw, from this moment you will be known as Redwish. StarClan honors your loyalty and skill in battle and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

"Nightpaw, from this moment you will be known as Nightstrike. StarClan honors your fighting skill and dedication and we welcome you as a full warrior of Lightclan."

Stormstar jumped steadily off the Highboulder as the clan's yowls rang in the air.

"Silvershy! Greystep! Flowerstream! Eagleflight! Honeyburr! Mistcloud! Redwish! Nightstrike!"

_______________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

"May I go to the gathering?" Hazefang meowed questioningly, her front paws shifting in front of her.