Chapter 12

Silvershy's POV:

"Where's Stormstar?!" Nutwhisker's shrill cry echoed around camp, rousing Silvershy from a deep sleep. She rose out of her nest with a small grumble and stepped out of the den. Her nest was right next to the entrance, which meant easy access but on some nights it got cold.

"Nutwhisker what's wrong?" Silvershy asked as she stepped fully out of the warriors den, blinking from the sharp morning light.

"Where's Stormstar?" Nutwhisker yowled, racing to Silvershy's side.

"Um.." Silvershy shrugged. "I think he's out making the new borders. Why?"

As if in answer, a deafening roar sounded from the elders den and Silvershy spun around to see the whole den shaking as if a big animal were in it. "What in the name of Starclan?" She breathed in fear.

"It's Clearlight! He's raging!" Nutwhisker looked at something over Silvershy's back and she turned around to see Eagleflight and Dapplegrey emerging from the den, still hazy from sleep.

"What is going on?" Dapplegrey growled, her white and grey pelt bristling. Another roar answered her question and she tensed.

Silvershy explained. "Nutwhisker says Clearlight is.. raging." She twitched her whiskers nervously.

Dapplegrey narrowed her eyes and glanced back at the elders den to see Clearlight- Or what he had changed into- emerge from the elders den. The massive golden cat with black stripes sauntered slowly out of the den, his tail twitching and a loud growl coming from his throat.

Dapplegrey stiffened and whispered, "Since Stormstar and Dawnheart aren't in camp, I'll take charge for now.." Silvershy nodded, Dapplegrey was the next most qualified cat to be deputy.

Soon, more cats emerged from the warriors den. Dapplegrey quickly ordered them to be quiet and not startle Clearlight. The raging tom might try to attack his own clan mates.

Just as Dapplegrey was about to say something, Iceheart hissed loudly. "Ouch! Get off my paw!"

With a loud snarl, Clearlight spun to face the cats. His deadly amber gaze bore into them, studying them like prey. He let out a roar and lunged for them, clearing three fox-lengths in a single bound.

Dapplegrey yowled, "Scatter!" She dived back into the warriors den with most cats following but Silvershy found herself stuck to the ground beside Nutwhisker and Eagleflight.

Eagleflight tugged on her scruff. "Silvershy come on!" He whimpered, worried.

Silvershy finally found her paws and took off for the warriors den but Clearlight had already reached it and the massive golden cat blocked the only route of escape.

_______________________

Flamefur's POV:

Flamefur trotted behind Stormstar and Nebulafang as the two cats led the way to the new border. Every few heartbeats Stormstar would stop and sniff the air, then shake his head and continue walking. Flamefur guessed he was looking out for any dangerous scents.

"How much further?" Tigerstripe whined from behind Flamefur. "My paws are going to fall off!"

Stormstar lashed his tail and replied, "We will stop when I say so." The black tom was still annoyed at Flamefur and Tigerstripe for arguing in a gathering. My Starclan, he seriously holds a grudge. Flamefur thought with a small huff.

Blackleap trotted past Flamefur and up to Nebulafang and Stormstar. "I can smell mouse, can we please hunt? I haven't tasted mouse in so long. I can't eat another fish."

Stormstar stopped the patrol and sighed, turning to face his son. "Blackleap, you can't just hunt halfway through a patrol."

"But I want to eat mouse!" Blackleap begged and dug his claws into the soft soil. "Please!"

Stormstar shook his head, "Once we have placed down the new borders, we will have a lot more forest to hunt in which means more mice to hunt. I promise to send you on a hunting patrol later today but first we must get these borders made."

"Isn't here an okay place for the borders?" Blackleap wondered, ears twitching as he faced his father.

"No." Stormstar shook his head. "Our clan is getting bigger, with two new kits in the clan and many new warriors, we need as much territory as possible. Plus, if Ravenclan and Smallclan think they can take our territory then I'll be more accepting if we have lots of territory." A sad look flashed in his eyes for a heartbeat. "I can't let our territory be taken again. Lightclan will not be chased away a second time."

"Lightclan will survive." Nebulafang meowed with a reassuring smile at her leader.

Stormstar dipped his head and turned back to the direction of the new border. He began trotting again and Flamefur caught up with Blackleap. "Too bad. I would've liked to hunt mouse again." She sighed.

Blackleap nodded in agreement. "Yeah." The black tom meowed softly. "When I'm leader, I'll let any warrior eat mice when they want."

Flamefur held back the snort of amusement and ended up spluttering, "You want to be leader?"

"Of course. Just like my father. I'll be Blackstar, a legendary leader of Lightclan." Blackleap puffed out his chest with a proud grin on his lips.

"Not if I become deputy first." Flamefur purred mischievously, flashing Blackleap a grin.

Blackleap snorted, "You? Leader? Ha!"

"What? You think I can't be leader?" Flamefur queried, forcing down a growl.

Before Blackleap could answer, Tigerstripe yowled. "I can smell Ravenclan!" The brown tom raced ahead and began fiercely sniffing the bushes around him.

Stormstar stopped with Nebulafang and the two older cats lifted their muzzles to sniff the air. "You're right, Tigerstripe..." Stormstar meowed softly. "We should be careful now. We don't want to cross the border."

Tigerstripe nodded but continued to trot forwards, still sniffing furiously at the undergrowth. Flamefur chuckled as she caught her brother whispering to himself. "Sniff. Sniff. Sniff." He was meowing.

"Hey! You!"

Flamefur pricked her ears at the unfamiliar mew and looked up to see a pair of eyes in the undergrowth. A heartbeat later the cat emerged, his grey fur thick and sleek. "You're in Ravenclan territory."

________________________