Chapter 18

Silvershy's POV:

Nutwhisker had insisted on carrying Clearlight and burying him on his own. Silvershy sighed sadly as she watched the grieving medicine cat trudge into camp, his claws torn and filled with dirt.

She watched as Watersplash rushed to Nutwhisker's aid. The brown tom pulled away but he seemed too exhausted to even lift another paw. Watersplash leaned against him, pressing an affectionate lick on his cheek as she murmured soothing words to him.

Silvershy watched the two disappear into the medicine den tunnel. For a heartbeat she wondered if there was more than friendship between them. But she didn't spend too much time thinking about it for she had more important things to do.

The sun had risen a while ago and it was nearing sunhigh. Silvershy glanced at the fresh-kill pile to see it was nearly empty. I wonder if anyone wants to come hunting with me? She knew Eagleflight was out on a border patrol so she had to choose someone else.

Silvershy padded into the warriors den and spotted her sister, Flowerstream, sleeping in her nest. Gently, she nudged the sleeping she cat awake. "Flowerstream? You wanna go on a hunt together?"

"Tigerstripe?" She mumbled sleepily, her eyes still closed.

"No it's me, Silvershy." She chuckled down at her sister.

Flowerstream jolted awake, embarrassment flowing off her. "Oh! Silvershy! S-Sorry I thought you were Tigerstripe..."

Silvershy rolled her eyes. "Why don't you just voice your feelings to Tigerstripe? I'm sure he likes you too."

Flowerstream shook her head immediately. "No way. He'd reject me. Have you seen the way he strives to be deputy? A mate will only drag him down..."

Silvershy smiled sadly at her sister. She was glad Eagleflight wasn't so ambitious. She couldn't begin to imagine how Flowerstream felt. With a reassuring lick on her sister's shoulder, Silvershy meowed. "Do you want me to say something to him? Drop some hints perhaps?"

Flowerstream shook her head vigorously. "No. If he must know about my feelings, I shall tell him in my own time."

"Alright." Silvershy nodded and led the way out of the warriors den. "Come on, race you to the border!"

Silvershy took off for the camp entrance but suddenly, her head started pounding and her paws skidded to a stop. She let out a mew of distress and Flowerstream rushes over to her. "Silvershy? What's wrong? Do you need to go to the medicine den?"

"No." Silvershy hissed, her limbs wobbling beneath her. "I'm fine."

Then, the darkness sucked her into a vision.

The familiar feeling of the cold settled around Silvershy, giving her an uneasy feeling. It had been a while since she had been called into a vision.

Soon, the never-ending darkness gave way to the vision and Silvershy screwed her eyes shut from the sudden light.

It wasn't usually this bright in the forest, which meant she wasn't in Lightclan's old territory. Silvershy felt a pang of fear. Where am I? She slowly opened her eyes and breathed in the scents.

The smell of twolegs was overwhelming. So overwhelming that Silvershy coughed slightly and she nearly brought up all the contents in her stomach.

Her gaze scanned around her surroundings. She was definitely in a twoleg's den. The towering twoleg items surrounded her. She lay in a soft and pink nest. It had what felt like fur along the edges. Silvershy narrowed her eyes and was about to stand up when Silverstar's side of the vision took over.

Silverstar let out a soft mew. Then she waited patiently. Silvershy wondered why she was being shown this. She had come to the conclusion that she was far back in the past, way before Silverstar joined Lightclan.

She glanced down at herself to see that she was, indeed, about the age of a young apprentice.

So Silverstar was a kittypet before? I never would've guessed.

Suddenly, the sound of pounding pawsteps sounded and Silvershy felt a flash of fear. Weirdly, Silverstar seemed calmed by the thundering pawsteps.

Then, the twoleg turned a corner and entered the room. It was a tall male twoleg. His large pink paws reached down to touch Silverstar and Silvershy fought against the vision to move away and hide. Unfortunately, Silvershy had no effect. Silverstar was in complete control.

The warm but heavy paw rested itself on Silverstar's head and tickled her behind the ears. Silverstar purred and licked the paw.

Silvershy felt a wave of disgust for the Lightclan leader. How could she enjoy this so much? Then, she realised. Silverstar had probably never heard of the clans. She was most likely born into a twoleg's home, which meant she was forced to enjoy twoleg things.

Then, the twoleg stood up and began walking away.

Silvershy felt the coldness return and a burning headache formed again. Normally she would hate the feelings, but this time she welcomed them happily as she was sucked out of the vision and into the land of the living.

____________________

Flamefur's POV:

Flamefur stood by the border between Lightclan and Ravenclan.

Greenstare had spoken in her head, telling her to go to the border. Flamefur stared around the empty forest, wondering why her mentor had asked this of her. "Greenstare? What now?" She called out, but there was no answer.

Flamefur sighed and was about to turn around when she heard voices behind her on Ravenclan's side. She ducked behind a bush and peered through the tangled twigs and leaves to see a group of Ravenclan cats making there way boldly toward the border. In the lead was none other than Rushclaw. The black and white tom stalked through the undergrowth, his head held high.

Behind him was three more Ravenclan cats. Flamefur felt a deep growl rise in her throat when she saw Blackfang. That was the Ravenclan tom from the gathering.

Flamefur made sure she stayed hidden as the patrol crossed over the border without any hesitation at all. What are they up to? Her silent question was quickly answered as she saw Rushclaw stop at a clump of brambles and spray on them. Soon the others began scenting too. Flamefur's pelt bristled. They were taking territory! She had to do something!

Then, a brilliant thought came to her mind.

Greenstare?

Yes?

Flamefur unsheathed her claws. Get help. She told Greenstare before launching herself at the intruders, her claws ready to slice through Ravenclan flesh.

_________________________