Chapter 7

Stormstar's POV:

Yowls and hisses jolted Stormstar out of his nest. He was out of his den in a flash, fearing his clan was in danger. His fur bushed out and his teeth were bared as he scanned the main clearing for the danger. Then he saw it.

A massive dark furred tom stood by the camp entrance with three other cats behind him. Stormstar peered closer to see Nutwhisker's black-tipped ears sticking up from between the three hissing cats behind the massive tom.

The tom caught gazes with Stormstar and small smile reached his lips. "You are the clan leader?"

"Yes. Who are you?" Stormstar meowed, trying not to be intimidated by the bigger tom. Don't forget your powers, silly. He tensed when the voice filled his head but then he relaxed. Skystar hadn't spoken to him in a long while, he had almost forgotten about her.

The tom blinked calmly, completely ignoring the group of Lightclan warriors slowly surrounding him. "Leader of Lightclan?" He took a step forwards, causing Dapplegrey to stifle a hiss as she crept around him.

Stormstar unsheathed his claws but forced himself not to ignite them yet. He didn't want to show this strange cat his powers until he knew what was going on. "Yes." He hissed, "I see you have our medicine cat, Nutwhisker. When do you plan on giving him back?"

"Soon, soon." The tom growled. "But first, I need to speak with you. In your den, preferably."

Stormstar forced down a growl as he scanned his gaze over the three other cats surrounding Nutwhisker. He didn't particularly want to be alone in his den with all of those strange, and potentially dangerous, cats. "Fine." He replied smoothly. "But my deputy will come with me, and you must come alone. Your other cats will stay here."

"Very well." The tom dipped his head ever so slightly in acknowledgment and waved his tail, ordering his cats to sit down. Stormstar glanced at Dapplegrey, Sunpatch and Blackleap, silently ordering them to guard the cats incase they tried anything. As the tom approached Stormstar, he quickly sheathed his claws and led the way into his den. Dawnheart followed after the tom as he stalked inside.

The three cats settled down. Stormstar facing the tom and Dawnheart hovering near him, a guarded expression on her face.

"What would you like to speak to me about?" Stormstar asked, his ears twitching slightly.

"How long are you and your clan staying here?" The tom asked bluntly, whiskers twitching.

Stormstar wanted to say only a more few moons, but he knew Lightclan's stay in the new territory was permanent. "Forever." He replied softly.

"And where are your borders?"

"We haven't set them yet..."

"Do you know who I am?"

"No."

"I am Jaggedstar, leader of Ravenclan."

Oh. He was a clan leader! So there were other clans around. But how many? Was Lightclan going to be chased out again? Stormstar gulped. "Erm, I'm Stormstar."

"Why did you come here in the first place?" Jaggedstar asked, looking down at Stormstar.

"We were chased out from our previous territory six moons ago." Stormstar answered, his voice soft.

Jaggedstar's gaze seemed to soften only a little bit and he meowed, "I would suggest you meet the other clans before establishing your borders. How about you attend the next gathering. It is only in a few days time. We meet on the rocky outcrops toward the right side of your territory."

Stormstar nodded mutely and Jaggedstar dipped his head before stalking out of the den. "See you at the gathering."

Stormstar stood up as well and followed Jaggedstar out with Dawnheart trotting after him. Jaggedstar ordered his warriors, "Let the medicine cat go and return back to camp." Then he turned back to Stormstar, "Good luck in setting up your territory. May Starclan light your way."

Stormstar dipped his head, "You too."

__________________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

Nutwhisker broke away from the Ravenclan cats as they left Lightclan camp and he was immediately engulfed in thick grey fur. It was Watersplash. She knocked him over and placed passionate licks all over his muzzle. "Oh, Nutwhisker I'm so sorry! This is all my fault!" She stared down at Nutwhisker, her eyes begging for forgiveness.

Nutwhisker forced down a purr. He wouldn't give in so easily to the grey she cat. "It's okay.." He meowed cautiously as he pulled away from Watersplash.

Watersplash's expression changed to a look of hurt but she concealed her emotions with such lightning-fast control that Nutwhisker thought he imagined it. "Uh... Nutwhisker?"

"Yes?" Nutwhisker asked as he headed toward the medicine den. He had a lot of catching up to do, hopefully Watersplash or Shinewing had done the bedding for him while he was gone.

Watersplash flicked her tail on Nutwhisker's chest and whispered in his ear, "Come walk with me at the beach." Nutwhisker went to argue but she shook her head and begged, "Please."

With a soft sigh, Nutwhisker nodded and followed Watersplash as she calmly led the way out of camp and toward the beach. Nutwhisker watched the way she walked as they neared the shoreline and he noticed she was swaying more. She seemed fatigued and her tail drooped slightly. Upon closer inspection, Nutwhisker noticed her belly was bigger than usual.

Oh no... Nutwhisker was a medicine cat, and he knew the signs of queens that were expecting. He felt a wave of dread and nausea fill him and his pawsteps faultered slightly. We're medicine cats! We can't have kits!

Watersplash stopped and turned to face Nutwhisker. She saw his horrified expression and she sighed, "You know then?"

"Yes..." Nutwhisker sighed and looked down at his paws.

Watersplash reached out to gently touch noses with Nutwhisker. "It's okay. We'll find a way to get through this."

"How? We're not allowed to have kits! And I'm not going to give them away!" Nutwhisker hissed, jerking his muzzle away from Watersplash's "Was this the reason you snapped at me before?"

"I was stressed and my mind was not focusing. I didn't even realise what had left my mouth before you ran out." Watersplash meowed apologetically. "I am truly sorry for upsetting you. I never meant to, you must understand that."

"I do," Nutwhisker meowed quietly. "But it's going to take a while before I can get used to liking you again. You really hurt me."

"I'm so sorry.." Was all Watersplash could muster before she basically collapsed on the soft sand, her gaze on the horizon.

Nutwhisker lay down beside Watersplash, their pelts gently touching. "It's nice here. By the sea. It's calming." Nutwhisker meowed softly.

"Yes." Watersplash breathed, her gaze still stuck on the lapping waves ahead of her. She sighed softly, laying her head on Nutwhisker's paws. At first Nutwhisker tensed but then he relaxed and rested his own head on Watersplash's. They lay silently for a short while before Watersplash whispered. "I haven't had a good night's sleep since you disappeared."

Nutwhisker looked down to see her eyes drooping sleepily closed and he, too, felt a wave of tiredness sweep through him. "We'll find a way to get through this. Together... As mates." Nutwhisker whispered before drifting into a calm and peaceful slumber.

__________________________