Chapter 13

Stormstar's POV:

"Who are you?" Stormstar asked the Ravenclan cat, his fur bristling slightly. He hadn't realised they had crossed the border. It wouldn't be good if a fight broke out on their first day as bordering clans.

"Why are you in Ravenclan territory." The tom shot back, his brown fur bristling.

Stormstar blinked his eyes slowly and meowed, "It was a mistake. We are still new in this area."

"Yeah, well you better get the borders done quicker because Jaghedstar won't be too happy to hear Lightclan cats are crossing the border." The tom hissed.

Flamefur growled and stalked up to the tom, "Who are you?"

"My name is Rushclaw." The tom flashed Flamefur a bold glare and Tigerstripe growled from behind his sister.

Stormstar shifted his weight from paw to paw. He didn't want to have trouble at the borders already. Lightclan was still recovering. They needed to set stable borders in order to secure their new territory.

"Rushclaw," Stormstar started, but the grey tom shook his head in dismissal.

"No, Stormstar, you listen to me." He growled. "Ravenclan is bigger than your clan. We have more cats and we are stronger. If you think you can waltz over here and think this is your territory, it's not. Sooner or later, we will chase you out."

Stormstar growled, "Jaggedstar said that we are welcome here!"

"We will chase you out, with or without Jaggedstar's consent." Rushclaw flashed the patrol one last glare before diving into the undergrowth and out of sight.

Flamefur snorted, "I'd like to see him try!"

Tigerstripe and Blackleap chuckled at the golden she cat's comment and Stormstar rolled his eyes at the young warriors. "Alright. Let's head back across the Ravenclan border and set our boundaries."

Flamefur and Tigerstripe quickly set off in the direction of the border with Blackleap following. Nebulafang stayed behind with Stormstar.

"Do you think that cat was serious?" Nebulafang wondered, her eyes narrowed with worry.

"One cat can't take down a whole clan." Stormstar shook his head "Why would he go against his leader anyway? All warriors should be loyal."

"Maybe we should tell Jaggedstar that Rushclaw isn't loyal." Nebulafang suggested.

"No." Stormstar shook his head. "Jaggedstar will deny that Rushclaw is not loyal and think that we're trying to cause trouble with his clan. I think it's best to keep quiet."

"Alright. If you say so." Nebulafang dipped her head and trotted away after Blackleap, Flamefur and Tigerstripe.

Flamefur had found the border and was already leaving her scent on a clump of ferns. Once she was finished, she nudged Tigerstripe with a grin, "I was the first cat to mark our new borders!"

Stormstar sighed at the two young cats. They were so much like kits, even after being warriors for quite a few moons. He had overheard the conversation between Blackleap and Flamefur as they had walked to the border. He was happy that his son was looking to be just like him, but Stormstar wasn't sure if Blackleap was a good choice as leader. The tom was still young and often foolish in his actions. Hopefully, with age the tom will grow wiser and more experienced.

But when Flamefur mentioned beating Blackleap to deputyship, Stormstar felt a shiver of worry. He could tell she was serious about wanting to be leader and he wasn't sure she was the right cat either. The feisty she cat was strong and skillful, but she too was young and inexperienced. Stormstar had also seen a streak in her that few cats had ever seen. She always seemed angry and ready to fight. Her brother also seemed that way as well, but Flamefur was more so. She had a dark side, but Stormstar couldn't think of anything that could be causing it.

A thundering roar jerked Stormstar from his thoughts. He looked up, eyes searching for the maker of the sound. The roar came again, this time louder. Stormstar felt the ground shake from the roar and he felt a feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. There was only one animal that could roar like that, and that kind of animal didn't roam this forest.

"Clearlight." Stormstar breathed, his fur rising along his spine.
___________________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

"Hey Clearlight!" Watersplash's high-pitched screech sounded from the medicine den tunnel. Nutwhisker peeked out from inside the warriors den to see the grey she cat standing bravely by the tunnel.

Clearlight still stood by the entrance, his long thin tail flicking whisker-lengths from Nutwhisker. He took a step back to avoid Clearlight but still far enough out to see Watersplash.

Starclan please don't take Watersplash today. He prayed silently, his fur bristling.

Clearlight turned his broad, orange and black striped head in Watersplash's direction. The grey medicine cat glared back boldly, as if she were challenging the massive cat.

"Come on, Clearlight. Let Silvershy and Eagleflight go!" Watersplash yowled, her voice echoing around the clearing. Nutwhisker studied Clearlight, seeing how the huge cat's ears flicked back and forth and his massive paws scuffed at the sand. The tiger was deciding whether or not he should attack Watersplash or Silvershy and Eagleflight.

Nutwhisker felt his head fighting to save Silvershy and Eagleflight and his heart try to save Watersplash. He wanted all three cats to be saved, but the strong pull towards Watersplash somehow overpowered his instincts and he knew he had to protect the grey she cat.

After all, she was carrying his kits.

Nutwhisker let out a shriek and pelted from the warriors den. Dapplegrey grabbed for his tail but she was too slow to react. Nutwhisker darted underneath Clearlight, weaving between his long legs with skill he never knew he possessed.

Clearlight snarled and swiped at Nutwhisker but the tiny brown tom was too fast and he dodged the tiger's blows. He hared across the clearing, hearing the thundering pawsteps of Clearlight running after him.

He neared the medicine den tunnel and saw Watersplash staring at him with a horror filled expression. Nutwhisker met her gaze for a second before yowling. "Get into the den! I'll be right behind you!"

Nutwhisker made sure Watersplash was unable to see him before he veered away sharply, heading for the camp exit with Clearlight pounding after him.

____________________