CHAPTER : 4

Next morning 8:00 am

Ranbir stirred awake, the first light of dawn seeping through the curtains, casting a soft glow in his room. He'd barely slept, the weight of impending conversation heavy on his mind. With a sigh, he rose from his bed, his steps deliberate as he made his way to her door, heart thudding with anticipation.

Standing before her door, Ranbir could almost hear the muffled sounds of morning beyond. He waited, his breath caught in his chest, until finally, the door creaked open, revealing her tired eyes. Before he could utter a word, she shut the door firmly in his face.

"Mom... Mom, please," Ranbir's voice was pleading as he pressed against the closed door. "I just need to talk to you."

Pushing the door open with determination, Ranbir stepped inside, his gaze locking with hers. "Mom, look... I'm sorry, okay?"

"If this is about Aditya, we're not having that conversation again. He's staying here with me," she stated firmly.

Ranbir took a deep breath, steeling himself. "I can't allow that," he said, his voice resolute.

"Who said I was asking for your permission? Ranbir, he's my son," she retorted, her tone tinged with frustration.

"And who am I?" Ranbir's voice wavered with emotion.

"We forgave him, we all did. Your father would have wanted the same. It's time for you to let it go," she insisted, her eyes pleading for understanding.

"Let it go? How can I forget everything, Mom? I'm the one who suffered," Ranbir's voice cracked with raw emotion.

"We all suffered, Ranbir. We can't forget, but we can forgive. He was just a child," she said, her voice softening with empathy.

"A child? He was 19, Mom. He was a coward. Dad always said there's no place for cowards in our home," Ranbir's frustration simmered beneath his words.

"It's time we chose," he declared.

"Ranbir, stop this nonsense," she pleaded, her voice trembling.

Ranbir's lips curled into a bitter smile. "Actually, I was thinking last night. It would've been easier if I were the one who wronged you, right?" he asked, his words heavy with implication.

"What do you mean?" Her voice was barely a whisper, betraying her confusion.

"If I were the one who betrayed our family, you wouldn't have chosen him over me," Ranbir's words hung heavy in the air.

"Ranbir, that's enough. You're going too far," she warned, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

""I'm scared mom, I'm scared, I'm scared of darkness, still, I'm scared of being alone in the darkness, but I knew I have to work for my family, I have a sister, a mother," Ranbir confessed, his vulnerability laid bare.

"And this scares the shit out of me even more, when I ask you to choose I know you'll choose him even though I gave my everything for this family." he admitted, his voice trembling with emotion.

With a swift motion, her hand collided with his cheek, the sting of her slap reverberating through the room. Tears streamed down her face as she collapsed onto the bed, her sobs filling the silence.

"Because I'm not the real one, am I?" Ranbir's voice was heavy with resignation.

"That's enough," she choked out, her voice strained with emotion. "Please, Ranbir... Don't say anything like that ever again."

"I'll make it easier for you, Mom. I'll make the choice," Ranbir's voice was barely a whisper as he turned away, his footsteps echoing down the hallway.