Chapter 9 - "I killed your father"

MAKARIA

I didn't expect to receive this kind of information, especially not from Elias Angelo.

'He was abused by his mother.'

'Wasn't his mother an angel?' I asked.

'Yes, she was, but trust me, angels are not what people think they are.'

'Don't I know?' I replied, rolling my eyes.

'He became angry, for so long.'

'He still is.'

'He is a good boy. I can't believe I am saying this but take care of my son. You are powerful and I heard so many things about you here in the underworld.'

'You seem like a good man, shouldn't have killed that pregnant lady.' I said.

'I didn't kill her.' He said with all seriousness.

'Hades saw you.'

'It's Hades we're talking about.' He remarked.
That's true. Hades was deceiving. He wasn't a good god - never will be.

'Who did then?'

'I don't know, but Hades blamed me!'

'What do you want to tell your son?' I asked.

Talking with him longer would draw more attention to me than it already had.

'Tell him I didn't do it. Tell him that I miss and love him. Tell him that I am in heaven.'

I nodded and waved him away.

I got a little emotional though, for the first time. It sucked to have emotions. Earth was affecting me tremendously. I hated it.

I finished my food and left the cafeteria. I was thinking of how to speak with Ares and tell him what his father had said.

Anyways, the news that came next shook me to the core.

Another student dead...in the woods.

The students gathered outside the school. The wind blew hitting my face as gasps echoed in the woods. I looked at the dead body of Brenda, the same girl who called me a bitch the other day.
Her blonde hair was covered in blood. Her eyes are open wide, the fear still danced around them even after she died.

Whatever she saw, shook her to the core.

"Everyone! Go back inside the school!" Gloria yelled. The students didn't listen to her at first because they were in shock, but when she yelled again, everyone started to retreat back to the school.

Me, however, stayed behind.

This was my business and if she had dared say anything, I would have had sent her to hell.

"I thought we eliminated the threat?" Gloria asked me. "How is this still happening?" She added.

"Why are you asking me questions as if I know? I thought I sent Theseus back home. There is someone else killing these kids."

The scary thing was that it might not have been Theseus who was killing because Brenda's body looked the same as all the other bodies that were found. Headless and eyes wide opened with a mark of a cross between the brows.

I had two missions now. Find the killer and find a way to break the curse of the school, and I didn't know where to start.

Well, maybe, I do.

"Where are you going?" Gloria asked as she saw me walking away.

"None of your business."

It was good acting like me again. I didn't have to act anymore. No matter what I did, Zeus wouldn't let me out of here before saving his ridiculous school.

I didn't get it. He was a god, and he couldn't save his school?

I went to the library, the only place where I could find some answers about the curse. Maybe if I solved the curse, people could leave, and the killer will have no one left to kill.

I stopped at the library door, hesitating to go in.
But if I lifted the curse, the killer could leave and kill humans.

Damn it!

As if the day could handle any more problems, a fight broke out in the cafeteria.

More specifically, Ares started a fight in the cafeteria with a member of his pack.

Michael.

A ginger-head nerd, who always wore Harry Potter glasses.

"If I hear you saying something like this again, I will kill you!" Ares yelled, choking the daylights out of Michael.

What could Michael have said that made Ares so violent?

"Kill me! You're just like your father!" Michael replied with a struggle.

Oh, that's what he said.

Before Ares could make a mistake, I waved my hand and separate them.

Michael coughed, trying to breathe again.

"Why the fuck are you getting into my business?!" Ares yelled in my face, ready to attack any minute.

"Your father says hi." Was all I whispered before he backed down, shutting his mouth.

I grabbed Michael by his collar and glared at him.

"You know, there's a special place in hell called the frequent death room. Do you know what happens there?"

He shook his head as a no as tears rolled down from fear.

"In this room, I inflict pain on the prisoner until he or she dies, but what's interesting is that I get to do it over and over again, and guess what? I choose who goes there."

As if he understood what I meant, he nodded frequently, surrendering.

I threw him on the floor and walked on his hand, earning an earful scream.

Weak.

I walked out of the cafeteria knowing damn well that Ares was going to follow me and ask questions about his father. I didn't know how else I would tell him about what his father had told me.

"Wait!" Ares' voice halted my steps. I turned around and looked at him.

"You...you spoke to my father?"

"Yes. I did."

"What did he say? Did he tell you who killed him?"

And what better time to tell him that I did than now?

"Yes."

"Who?"

"I did. I killed your father."

Ares looked at me with confusion. He seemed confused as to how I could say that so easily.

"Are you fucking with me?"

"No. Hades told me to kill him and I did." I shrugged. "He told me to tell you that he didn't do it. He didn't kill that pregnant woman, and that he loves and misses you. He also told me to tell you that he's in heaven."

"You can't speak with people who are in heaven, Diana."

"I can, and it is Makaria. Get used to it."

"I will kill you." Ares said with confidence.

"Try."

"You fooled everyone, but you never fooled me. I always knew you were evil."

I smiled. "Great, I always wanted to be labeled as that."

"You're sick."

"Thanks, that too."

Ares' had a determined look on his face. He wanted to kill me, and he knew he would succeed. And I didn't know what scared me more. The person behind him, or my beating heart.