Chapter 10 - "The curse of the third land."

Hades stood in his true form and with all his glory behind Ares, glaring at me as if telling me to stop talking to this boy.

The thing was, as much as I tried to act like he was my father, it didn't work.

I was stubborn, angry, annoyed, and aggressive when it came to Hades. He was just...everything I didn't want in a person, and certainly not in a father.

Anyways, Ares kept glaring at me, secretly demanding an answer or an argument.
I knew he wanted me to say something like "You're right. I am sorry," or "I couldn't help it. I had orders."

Well, that wasn't far from the truth. The only thing I didn't know was that Elias didn't do the crime. Hades lied to me and sent me off to kill for some reason that I don't know of.

Now I have to solve 3 things:

1- The school's curse.
2- The mystery school killer.
3- Find what Elias was killed for and why Hades had lied to me.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to find all that, but I knew I would eventually solve the mysteries, even if I had to break down walls and kill everyone who stands in my way. I have had done it in the past.

"Ares, leave." I had said.

"Is that your answer whe you want to run away from things?!" He yelled, making me roll my eyes.

"I said leave!"

"Or what?" He challenged me.

"If you keep yelling at my daughter, I'll send you to hell myself." Hades replied to this time, shocking Ares.

Ares turned around and a shocked expression replaced his angry features.

"You can't do shit." Ares replied with all confidence.

"You're right. Zeus stressed about how we should leave his followers alone, but he said nothing about a little torture here and there." Hades smirked.

"Hades, enough." I said in a bored tone. "Ares, leave."

My firm tone must have done the trick because Ares glared at the both of us and left.

A couple of students passed by, but once they saw Hades, they fainted.
He did look scary, especially to these weak creatures.

"What is it?"

"Have you found anything? Zeus has been up on my ass, and I want him gone-" He started. "I also heard that students are still being killed in the school."

Don't trust him, Makaria.

"I haven't started my search, but I will today- and yes, it turned out that your favorite person didn't kill all these students."

"How do you know that he didn't start it?"

"Because no one has a power like Theseus in this school unless it is someone...from the underworld, and as far as I know, no one from the underworld is allowed to enroll in this school."

"You're right, but maybe a demon in disguise."

"Maybe, so it should be your problem. These are your goons. Control them."

"Watch what you're saying, Makaria! I am your father!" His loud voice woke the bodies on the floor as the school shook.

"You know your voice doesn't work on me."

"I should have sent Melinoe on this mission!" He said, thinking that it would affect me.

"Yes, Hades, you should have." I added fuel to the fire.

With that, he disappeared.

Let me tell you something ladies and gentlemen - Hades never won an argument with me. It was like I had all the answers to all the questions, even if the answers included death. I would die because I wasn't afraid.

Hades absolutely despised talking with me on matters that didn't revolve around work like torturing souls and catching criminals from earth.
Pathetic, I know.

I made my way to the library. It was quiet as any library should be. Piles of shelves stood beside each other with signs on each one. I searched for the witchcraft sign and walked to it.

I didn't think I'd find something in this library, especially not something that would help me solve the mystery of the school's curse, but I had hoped that I'd find something that would get me on the right track.

My eyes landed on a small black and red book, sandwiched between two bulky books. It was as if it wanted to be found because it stood off.

The cover read "The Curse of The Third Land."
The curse of the third land

I tried to remember where I heard this sentence, but I couldn't. I knew that I had heard it before, but I didn't know when and where.

I didn't even know what it meant as if my memories had been erased from my brain, but I could vividly recall hearing it when I was younger.

I even remembered the book cover. How could I forget? The book cover was a photo of a young girl with black hair and violet eyes that reminded me of my mother. The girl had a smirk on her face, and I remembered being so scared from her, but I hadn't seen the book since that day.

I took the book with me and walked back to my room without bumping into anyone.

Part of me missed Penelope, but I reminded myself that I was never her friend, and she wasn't mine. I don't think friends abandon you for being who you are, right? I wasn't sure. I never had friends before other than my siblings, who I hadn't seen for centuries, but still, I knew a thing or two about friendships, especially from my sister, Melinoe.

I opened the book and read the first words that shook me to my core:

To my kind daughter, Macaria, only you who can solve this mystery.