Chapter 17 - "Makaria, I am sorry."

MAKARIA

The room was silent. I knew they would be stunned, but I thought even for a small percentage they would be freaking out. 

"What do you mean?" Ares asked stupidly. 

I didn't answer him. 

"Can you know how I will die?" Hector asked, looking deeply into my eyes as if he's telling me that if I knew, he didn't want me to tell him. 

"No, I cannot know."

I usually don't sense who's the person dying. I would just get a sense of a near death, but it was different with Hector. Maybe because he was a centaur, I don't know. 

"Okay, what are we going to do?" Ares asked, waiting for me to tell him that I could prevent this death. 

I remembered the time I visited Earth to meet up with Eros. I stumbled upon a crime at one if the alleys behind a bar. It was 12 am, and it was cold. Two men attacking a young boy, stabbing him multiple times. 

I didn't prevent it because it was his time. 

When I reached him after the men left, he begged me to help him. I knew it was enviable because there was nothing, I could do to help him. The only way would be me asking Hades or Zeus to spare him, which was something that I would never do. I'd rather kiss an angel than do that.

Now looking at Hector, I felt bad for him. Well, not really because he was going to heaven. It was a good place, but I knew that a part of him wanted to stay here with his friends. They were in this together. 

Looking into Ares' sad eyes, the only thing that I could say was, "You should hide him."

"Will that work?" Ares asked.

I glanced at Hector and his eyes begged me to say yes, so I did. 

"In the meantime, I need to follow the compass and figure out what it does."

"You aren't coming with us?" Ares asked, lifting his eyebrows. 

I sighed and replied, "Ares, wherever I go, death follows. So, it's best if I stayed far."

With that, I grabbed the compass and left the room. 

I felt terrible for the first time in my life. Maybe the second. I wished it would be like this, but it was reality. Loved ones come and go, and everyone is going to go through that, unfortunately.

I walked aimlessly through the woods because the compass wasn't glowing. I placed it in my pocket and walked through the dark night. My legs took me to the east of the woods, to the Gemini rock. I wanted to see Cerebrus because he was the only person who understood me even though he was a dog. 

Sadly, he wasn't there as if Hades only put him there to secure the compass, but since I took it, he took him back. 

Hades was playing a dangerous game, and I didn't know if I will remain following to his orders.

"Makaria."

I didn't turn around. I knew this voice too well. 

"What?" I replied, finally turning around to face Zeus.

"I sent Eros to send you a message, but you didn't give him a chance."

"Oh, apologies, uncle." I sarcastically said with a pout. "I'll make sure to do better next time."

He sighed. "Till when are you going to act like this?"

Till I decide not to. 

"What do you want?" I ignored his previous question.

The last thing I wanted to tell him was that I was waiting for an apology.

"We need to talk about your father."

"What about Hades that you came down to Earth to discuss? Is it that important?"

"Hades is playing a dangerous game. Did he tell you anything?" 

I laughed. I literally laughed for the first time in front of Zeus. Perhaps, it was the first time he saw me smiling. 

"You came...to me...to ask if Hades has been betraying you? You came to his soldier?" I continued laughing.

"Makaria!" Zeus roared, making me stop instantly. It was the same voice his used when he hurt me feeling a couple of decades back.

He seemed to notice it too.

"You'll never enter Olympus. You're an ugly demon, just like your father."

"I need to know. The kids are in danger."

"Well, you're a god, you could help them."

"I can't! Can't you understand? There are things that gods cannot interfere in. It is better that way."

"What would I know? I am a demon after all." I shrugged and started walking away. 

"Makaria, I am sorry."

I shamefully teared up. The great demon soldier of all time fucking teared up because her uncle apologized. 

After decades.

I quickly wiped the tear and turned to him. "Well, you're decades late, uncle."

With that, I went back to the dorms.

No matter how much of an asshole Hades was, he was the one who was there for me. 

Entering the school building, the halls were empty, and the sound of water dripping reached my ears. It was only when I walked a bit further inside that I noticed that it wasn't water.

It was blood.

A student's blood.

I looked up at the ceiling only to see an unknown student's body hung to the ceiling with ropes. 

Thank God, it wasn't Hector.

I pushed the school alarm, and it blared through the halls. I waited till Gloria and some students arrived to see the scene.

"How did this happen?" Gloria asked, furrowing her brows.

"He was like this when I arrived."

I glanced at the Ares and Hector, who seemed shocked at the scene. 

It just occurred to me that no one here saw the bodies before. They only heard from Gloria because she was the one who used to find them. 

I glanced at Gloria and narrows my eyes.

She was definitely the killer.