Chapter 12 - "Cerebrus?"

MAKARIA

Working with Ares wasn't as bad as I thought. He was always angry, yes, but not as angry as I was. I was terrible, I admit.

"Where do you think it is hidden?" Ares asked as he held the book in his hands.

I was walking back and forth, thinking hard about the compass' location. "Not sure, but I have a feeling that it might be where she got killed."

"But she wouldn't predict the future, would she?" Ares asked, arching his brows in a cute way.

"She's a witch, you wouldn't know." I shrugged.

"Can you see the future?" He suddenly asked.

"In what way?"

"Like do you know who will die next?"

"No." I started as I stood in front of him. "But I can sense when someone is going to die."

"Do you sense someone's death now?" He asked, looking intently at me, waiting for the answer.

"No. I don't, but if you keep asking questions, someone will." I snapped, making him smirk.

Ares went back to reading, while I looked for another book that might talk about Rosalie.

Most of the books at the library talked about Zeus and Olympus. Of course, Zeus wouldn't miss a chance to be more famous that he already was.

My eyes landed on a brown leather book. It didn't have a name, just the letter "RS."

I opened the first page and the words "About Rosalie Bernard's Life and Death," was written in the middle of the page.

The book looked very old, yet the pages looked neat and new. I wondered who wrote it since there wasn't anything else written on the book cover.

I started reading, trying so hard to ignore Ares' annoying breathing. He was an animal and a man, so of course his breathing was going to be hard.

As I kept reading, I felt almost bad for Rosalie. She lived a terrible and hard life, from being a slave to witnessing the loss of all the members of her family one by one.

I lost my mother, and I was still not over it.

"Have you found anything?" Ares asked as he closed the book in his hand.

"You're a fast reader." I remarked before telling him, "Not yet I am still reading."

After a min, I whisper-yelled, "I found it!"

"Where?"

"It is written that the compass of Rosalie is under the Gemini rock." I read to him. "Do you know what's a Gemini rock?" I asked in confusion.

His face morphed into pain as soon as he heard that.

"What is it?"

"The Gemini rock is a rock at the far east of the land."

"Okay, so what's the issue?" I asked.

"We can't reach the rock because a monster protects it."

"What do you mean, a monster?"

"A dragon-like creature, I don't know."

"And have you seen this thing?" I asked, not believing they have been living in this school with a dragon and doing nothing about it.

"Once, but we don't dare go there again."

"Well, Ares, guess what? you are going again." I smirked.

We left the library, and as we walked through the empty and dimmed hallways, we saw Penelope and Alexander talking by the lockers. They had a confused face on when they saw me walking with Ares.

"I can't believe you, Ares!" Alexander whisper yelled as he pointed at me. "Seriously? Her?"

"Calm down, we are on a mission."

"What mission?" Penelope asked as she crossed her arm.

Rolling my eyes, I said, "It's better if you don't know."

"Okay, now I want to know." Penelope fired back.

"Calm down, Penny." Ares said as he took a deep breath. "We are going to the Gemini rock."

"What?!" Both Alexander and Penelope exclaimed.

"What the fuck are you guys going to do there?" Penelope now yelled.

"Lower your voice! No one can hear this." Ares replied.

"Let's go outside and talk." Alexandr suggested, and we all did.

Ares and Penelope kept going back and forth until Penelope understood why we're going. I didn't want to tell anyone about what I was planning to do, but from the little time we spent together as roommates, I knew how stubborn she was.

"But there's a monster, how will you face it?" Alexander asked.

"Don't worry about the monster, I will handle it." I replied as I walked East. "Let's go."

For the first time, they listened to me. No one said anything as we walked, not until Penelope decided to open her mouth.

"So, Diana, or should I say, Makaria, how's your new room?"

"Not bad."

"Did they put you with someone? I don't really think so, no one would want to live with a demon."

"Penny..." Ares warned.

"What? Now you're defending her?"

I rolled my eyes. "Enough you two. You fight like kids." I said, annoyed from their stupid arguments.

"And, Penelope, there isn't a difference between angels and demons."

"I am not an angel."

"Yes, but you have no problem with them, no?"

"Maybe, but how are they not different?"

"Well, for one we're both great liars and amazing manipulators. We both descend from the big three gods. The only difference is that they give life, we take it." I explained in fairy terms.

"And you're proud of that?"

"Of course, I get to kill and torture bad people." She scoffed.

"We're almost there." Alexander announced.

I didn't know this land was that big. We had been walking for thirty minutes before we came close to the location where the Gemini rock was.

"There!" Ares pointed at the grey rock that stood in the middle of the woods. There was nothing special about the rock other than it looking like a triangle.

"I am scared." Penelope confessed.

"Don't worry, baby. Nothing will happen to us." Alexander assured her, making me roll my eyes.

"Here!" Penelope whispered as she pointed at the creature who was sleeping on the ground behind the rock.

As soon as I saw him, I knew who he was.

"Cerebrus?"