Chapter 19 - Trip to Hell

MAKARIA

Ares laughed for about ten minutes. The idea of him going to hell was very amusing to the point that he couldn't stop laughing.

I knew it was impossible for these people to leave this land, but they could go to tell, only if they were accompanied by me.

I was the operations manager in hell, and still is, so I could let anyone in or out. And you don't need to leave the land to go to hell.

An underground portal would suffice.

"You're serious." Ares said when he saw me with a straight face. Did he think I would joke about something like this? Did he even think I would joke at all?

"Why wouldn't I be?" I replied, furrowing my brows.

"But I can't leave this place and even if I did, why would I go to hell?"

"Why not?"

"I am an angel?"

"Half."

"Still."

"I need you with me. I need to distract Hades to retrieve something."

"And I am assuming I will be retrieving the something?"

"Yes."

"This is insane, Makaria. You know that demons will smell me, right?"

"Are you scared?" I smirked, making him angry.

"Of course, not, but this is risky." He tried to explain.

"Don't worry, as long as you're with me, there won't be a risk."

He sighed, thinking so hard about this mission. I didn't blame him, in all honesty, it was risky. Hades would know he was there, especially since Ares was half-Angel, but I need to distract Hades in any way.

"Fine." He said, defeated. "How will we go there?"

"Through Cerberus. He will open an underground portal to hell, and we will slide in."

"When?"

"Now?"

"Seriously?"

What's wrong with him and not believing me. I was dead serious when I told him that we could go now. There was no specific time as to when we should go. It should be as soon as possible.

"Come on." I sighed and shook my head.

He thought he had more time to think and prepare himself for this mission, but I was quick to drag him with me to the forest to find Cerberus.

It was midnight. Everyone was asleep when we walked through the hallways. When we stepped outside to go through the forest, it was cold and dark. I could hear water dripping from somewhere. I looked behind to make sure no one was following and continued to the forest.

I was imagining Cerberus' reaction when he sees Ares with me and wanting to go to hell. I was sure he was going to be upset as he was very protective of me, more than Melinoe. Maybe because she only ever cared about her looks and position in hell to even say hi to him. Yes, he was a dog, but that didn't mean that he couldn't talk or understand.

"Are you sure about this?" He asked as he kept looking back to check if someone was following.

"Do you or do you not want this curse to end?" I asked with my usual serious voice.

"I do."

"Then shut up and follow me."

We continued walking through the dimly lit forest. In some parts, it was completely dark. Thankfully, Ares and I could see in the dark as our eyes adjusted automatically.

A sudden thought occurred to me as we were walking.

What if Ares saw his father who was supposed to be in heaven?

Elias told me to tell his son that he was in heaven. The chances of him seeing his son were 1%, but anything could happen.

When we finally reached the Gemini rock, where Cerberus had been last seen, I found it empty.

"He's not here." Ares pointed out.

"It's okay, I can open the portal."

It was true. I could open the portal, but it would take a lot of power and time that I didn't want to spend.

Conjuring my power from within, black smoke was formed as I moved my hands in a circular motion. A crack from the ground appeared and the sound of rocks being thrown was heard. Ares looked like he couldn't believe that I had the power to do that, but he forgot that I was Hades' daughter. I could basically do what Hades does, but a little less.

After almost fifteen minutes, a huge crack on the ground opened. A red and black see-through portal appeared inside the hole, showing nothing from behind.

Ares looked hesitant to go in, but I wouldn't let him go first anyways. It was better to go in together.

"Give me your hand."

"Huh?"

"Give me your fucking hand, Ares."

Coward.

He gave me his hand, and I immediately jumped. And let me tell you that Ares' scream was worse than Melinoe's.

We immediately landed, without a scratch. For a tiny moment I thought it wouldn't work for Ares to come with me, but my calculations were correct.

Anyone can go down to hell with a demon.

I imagined the destination to be my room because it was safer for us to go there first. No one would find or smell us, if we were inside those walls.

"This is your room?" Ares asked.

"Yes." I coldly replied. My demon personality immediately came back to me once I came back home.

It wasn't like it was gone, but a part of my soul; if I had one, it returned to me once I stepped foot here.

"It smells differently." Ares commented as he looked around the room.

"Of course it smells differently. Welcome to hell, Ares. This is the smell of death."

"Why did people made it sound like it was a nightmare?"

"When you're the one being tortured, then it would be."

"Well, I am not. Besides, I thought it would look ugly, but this is...beautiful."

"You should see Olympus, then." I said, avoiding eye-contact.

"Did you ever go there?" he asked, stopping me from stepping further into the room.

"Once, and I only saw the gate." I replied, looking at him.

"I am sure one day you'd be able to go all the way inside."

I just nodded, not wanting to argue that Zeus would never let me in.