Chapter 9 - The phone number

Ethan

"Well, I can't hang out there all day, every day," I say as I drive me and Liam to Lucky's. "I've been there enough the last few days that people have started looking at me funny. I think one of the teachers suspects I'm up to something."

"Are you telling me that you, a student, can't blend in with a bunch of other students?" Liam raises an eyebrow at me.

I grimace. "They're computer nerds. Do I look like I know much about computers?" I find a parking spot and maneuver the car into it.

Liam shakes his head. "You're pathetic. In so many ways." He gets out and I follow.

"I must have gotten really lucky on Monday. She was just sitting there."

"And then you almost killed her."

"I startled her. Next time, I'll make sure she isn't chewing first." I still feel bad about that as we walk up to the bar.

"Come on, dude," Liam says and puts an arm around my shoulders. "A beer and a burger will cheer you up. And hey, you weren't completely horrible on the ice today."

"Fuck you, I killed it. I told you I came back faster and stronger."

"It's going to be tough without Brick in the goal, though." He opens the door and we step into Lucky's.

"Nah, Pan will learn. And as soon as he bulks up a bit, he'll be great." I spot an empty table and walk over.

"Maybe he should grow a beard too, then he might not look like a twelve-year-old."

I smirk. Pan is new. Finding a replacement goalie has been an ordeal. But he's promising. He's young, but serious, and he already told me he's going to get drafted after this season. Some of the guys laughed when he said that, but I could see the deep fire in his eyes. The determination. And I've seen him soak up every bit of coaching and advice he gets,

Liam sits down. "I always forget how quiet Lucky's can be when it's not a game night."

"What can I get you?" a familiar voice asks, and I slowly raise my eyes from the menu.

My face instantly lightens as Lily bites her lip and looks from me to... Well, me. She may have glanced at Liam, but her eyes were back on me so quick I doubt she could tell me anything about what he looks like. I smile.

"I'll have the bacon burger," Liam says. "And a beer."

She finally looks away to her little notepad and scribbles something down. My eyes scan her body. She's in a tight t-shirt that makes my dick react. Her boobs are outlined perfectly and I have a sudden urge to reach out and touch them. Or cover her up so no one else can see.

Liam kicks me under the table.

"Ow, what the fuck?" I hiss at him.

"Dude, you're drooling. Show some respect." He glares at me.

I turn my attention back to Lily. She looks uncomfortable. No doubt she heard what Liam said. Or maybe it was my staring. Shit.

She clears her throat. "And what will you have?"

"A date," I say, and ignore Liam's confused scowl.

"Not on the menu," she says, but I can see the hint of a smile she's trying to suppress.

"Are you sure? Because I could have sworn it was on the table." She meets my eyes and bites her lip again.

"I'm sure." She tries to sound confident, but there's hesitation there.

"Then how about your phone number?"

"No." She shakes her head and leans in so she can point to the menu. "Something off here," she says sternly and pins her eyes on me.