Chapter 10 - It's a date

Lily

I finish the rest of my shift, barely noticing how my feet hurt. Smiling is a bit easier.

It's late when I leave Lucky's and I'm starving. Luckily, I didn't have to beg for cold fries, as I have leftovers in the fridge. I found a Puerto Rican recipe for rice with sausage and made a big batch yesterday. And now that I have all the spices, I think it'll be even cheaper to make the next time. Plus, the whole batch should last me almost a week.

I chose the well-lit streets that feel the safest on my way back. I wasn't kidding when I told Ethan I have mace in my purse. It's not something I've ever had to use, but whenever I'm out late at night, I have it in one hand and my phone in the other.

He asked for my number. I smile to myself. It was too good to be true, so I wasn't going to give in, but he looked so sad. I just couldn't resist. Fuck, I hope I don't regret it. Maybe he just wanted the chase and now that he has my number, he'll forget all about me. This might all be a game to him.

My thoughts keep me busy and I soon find myself back at the apartment. I put away the mace and my phone and go in as quietly as possible in case the others are asleep. I just want to heat my food and eat it in bed while I watch something on YouTube.

Last year, I had several streaming services. Because I didn't go out much, and I thought I could afford it. Well, this year, I'm watching ads and feel grateful there's some kind of entertainment you don't have to pay for.

I grab a plate and open the fridge, looking for my container. I blink. Then I furrow my brow and move some things around. My heart sinks and my stomach growls as reality hits me.

It's not here. My food isn't here. I blink a few more times, as if I could make it appear out of nowhere.

"Oh, you're home," Steph says, and reaches past me to grab a can of flavored water.

"Yeah, I just got off work. Do you know where my food is?" Maybe they had to move it? Could they have put it in the freezer? I open it and check.

"The rice thing? I think Fiona ate it." I gape at her. "All of it?" The recipe said six portions, and I had eaten one. Well, maybe two, it was really good, and I was celebrating paying my tuition and being on track.

"She had a friend over. A guy. I think he's on the basketball team."

She opens her drink and takes a sip.

I take a deep breath and put my plate back in the cupboard.

"Please don't eat my food without asking. I'll talk to Fiona about it tomorrow." I'm trying so hard not to get mad. But I'm so hungry and I had really been looking forward to the rice dish.

Steph shrugs. "Just eat something else. You can always order in."

I open my cupboard as Steph leaves the kitchen. We each have a shelf and I study the contents of mine. I have a few slices of bread and some peanut butter. But that's for breakfast. I hate it when my stomach starts to make noises during class. I find a bag of popcorn. It's not the dinner I was hoping for, but it's what I have. Ordering in is not an option on my budget.

I guard it carefully in the microwave. It's the cheap kind and will burn in an instant if you even breathe wrong. It also doesn't taste like much, so when it's done, I add some of the spices I used in the dish and shake the bag as I retreat to my room.

I take a quick shower and crawl into bed with the popcorn. I set up the laptop so I can watch stuff and grab my phone to make sure my alarm is set in case I fall asleep.

When I do, I notice a text. My heart instantly takes off. Nobody ever texts me. I just look at the icon for a moment until I have to draw in a breath.

Please tell me this is your real number.

I just stare at it for a bit. Is it really from him?

Who is this?

I bite my lip as I wait for a reply and eat my popcorn.

It's Ethan. Please tell me it's really you?

I smile. He almost sounds desperate.

Yes, this is Lily. I wasn't sure you'd text me.

Why wouldn't I? I'm hoping this means that you'll reconsider going on a date with me.

Fuck. My hands are shaking. He still wants to go out with me. What am I supposed to say to that? In the back of my mind, something is screaming at me to stop. To slow down and think. This could all be another prank. Why would a guy like Ethan Preston be interested in a nobody?

Is this a dare?

I chew on my thumbnail while I wait.

A dare? No. Why would you think that?

I don't know. It's just... strange.

I don't think it's strange at all. I want to take you out on a date. Will you please go out with me?

I want to. I want to believe this is real, so bad. I want to go on a date with him and have a good time and maybe have a good night kiss. But last year was a disaster, and maybe that's just what I get. One disaster after the other.

If I was smart, I'd tell him this is a mistake and he should leave me alone. Because I have a feeling Ethan might be able to hurt me so much worse than Connor ever could.

But it's as if my fingers have a mind of their own.

Yes. I get off work tomorrow at seven.

I'll be there.

The reply comes through so fast, it's impressive.

Come a few minutes after, so I have time to change first.

This is going to be awesome.

No pressure...

What do you want to do? Is dinner and a movie too cliché?

I laugh to myself.

Maybe it's a cliché for a reason? That sounds great.

As I'm typing, I'm already trying to calculate how much this is going to cost. Even though he's the one asking me out, I've learned to never rely on someone else paying for me. It's something my dad taught me when I started going out with friends, and Connor always expected me to pay my share.

As long as I get decent tips tomorrow, I should be able to afford it. And then, if I have to pick up an extra shift to catch up, that's ok.

Relieved after going through my finances, I check his last message.

Looking forward to it. Good night for now.

Good night.

I hug the phone to my chest and can't stop smiling. He asked me out. I'm going to have dinner with Ethan Preston. I slap a hand over my mouth to contain the giggle.

How the fuck did this happen? Hundreds of women here at UNI would love to be in my position. And he could have asked any one of them. But he asked me.

My smile fades a bit. What if it's all a big prank? I swallow. What if all he wants is a one-night stand?

I bite my lip. The thought of sleeping with Ethan isn't unpleasant. But it is scary. I was never good enough for Connor. So there's no way I'm good enough for Ethan. If all he wants is sex, he's going to be disappointed. And I'm going to be eternally embarrassed.

I take a deep breath. No, I'm not going to make this a bad thing before it's even happened. If it turns out bad, then I'll deal with it. I can handle it. I've been through worse.

I read through our exchange and the smile returns. Ethan makes me feel good. Even through words on the screen, I don't feel... bad. Not like when Connor texts me. Maybe we'll end up having a good time. And then, if all he wants is sex, I'm just going to have to deal with it.

Maybe it would be different? Could he even make it feel nice for me?

With a plethora of thoughts whirring, I finally fall asleep.