Chapter 54 - A new Lily

Lily

After Thanksgiving, it's like campus is a blur. I walk into the computer building and remember the times Ethan has waited for me there. I cross the quad and see other couples walking hand in hand. In the dining hall, I avoid all the places where I've sat with him. And I don't even think about going to the bathroom upstairs.

I eat my lunch and try not to think of how he managed to get me the meal plan. Did he bribe someone? Can you just do that for anyone?

I shake it off and leave the dining hall as some of the hockey boys come in.

As I'm leaving the building, I find myself stopped by Eve, Steph, and Fiona.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't UNI's last dumpee," Eve says.

"What?" I glance from her smirking face to Fiona's cold one and Steph's slightly apologetic.

"Rumor has it you couldn't keep Ethan interested. I guess he got tired of dating a pair of boobs."

I glance down at my chest. Then back at her.

"Nice to see you too, Eve."

"I'm sorry he dumped you," Steph says and nudges Eve.

Eve rolls her eyes. "Well, we all saw it coming. It's not like you have anything in common."

"Right," I say. Then I realize I don't have to listen to them anymore. "I have to go."

I take a step, but Fiona stops me.

"Wait. We had something to ask."

With a sigh, I stop. "What's that?"

Fiona glares at Steph.

"Oh," Steph says. "Do you want to move back in?"

"What?" I stare at her, wide-eyed.

"I suppose it would be fine." Eve rolls her eyes.

"What happened to Breanna?"

"Horrible roommate." Fiona grimaces.

"She didn't understand what was expected of her," Eve says.

"Yeah, you always did the dishes." Steph sounds as if that's a compliment.

"You want me back so I can clean and do dishes?"

Eve shrugs.

"And do laundry," Steph says. "Eve ruined her clothes when she tried to do it."

I shake my head in disbelief. "No."

"What do you mean, no?" Fiona looks confused.

"I mean, I don't want to pay to be your maid. I have a new place, and I much prefer it."

"You selfish bitch." Eve is steaming. "No wonder you don't have any friends. Ethan is too good for you."

"Yeah, we really need your help," Steph says. "Couldn't you just do this for us?"

Shaking my head, I push past them and leave. I don't have to listen to them insult me.

"You never deserved Ethan in the first place," Eve shouts after me. "He probably broke up with you because you're just trailer trash."

My cheeks redden as people look at her and then me. But I keep walking. I keep the tears at bay and get out of there.

The words still sting when I get back home. I drop my bag in my room and head to the kitchen to make myself some tea.

Ginny is sitting at the kitchen table with a magazine and a sandwich. "Hey, you're home early."

"Hi." I heat some water and grab a mug. When I open the cupboard to grab a tea bag, my favorite kind isn't there. "Fuck," I say quietly and close my eyes.

"Is everything ok? I know we're out of the rooibos. I'll get some tomorrow."

"I'm just having a bad day." I pick a different tea and finish making it.

"How about we do something fun?" Ginny smiles at me. "I just got a cancellation, so I have some time."

"Like what?"

She reaches out to touch my hair. "How about a makeover? I would love to see you in a messy lob."

"A what?"

"It's basically a longer bob cut, with some choppy layers. And if you're up for it, we could put in a few coppery highlights."

I grab the ends of my hair and look down at them. "Is it hard to style?" Ginny is a beautician, but she's taking classes to become a hairdresser.

"Not at all. And I just got some new products that I would love to try on you. We'll give you a whole new look."

She sounds so excited it's hard to rein it in.

"I don't really have that kind of money." I haven't gotten a haircut in months. Maybe a year. It's not an expense I can justify.

"I wouldn't charge you." Ginny looks almost offended. "Think of it partly as a thank you for being so great with Tony and the dogs, and partly as a way for me to experiment with the new products. And I really need the experience. If I could take before and after pictures, I'd practically owe you money."

I'm not sure if she really needs it for her portfolio, or if she's just trying to cheer me up, but as we get started, I don't care. We're having too much fun. She does my hair, gives me a manicure, a facial and shows me how to apply makeup.

The afternoon flies away, and Tony gets home from school and settles down next to us with his homework.

At the end of it all, I'm amazed at how different I look. Some of the makeup is a bit much for me, but if it was toned down a bit, I could see myself wearing it regularly. Because it's still me. She brought out me, but prettier and I almost want to cry when I realize that.

"I wish I could do this on my own," I say when she takes the after photos.

"It just takes some practice. Could you step forward just a little? Great. And it's not like you need to. You're beautiful without makeup."

I let her take as many pictures as she wants before I get back to studying myself in the mirror.

Ginny suggests I call some friends and go out to show off my new look. I tell her I have a presentation I need to finish for tomorrow. Which is true. She doesn't need to know that the closest thing I have to friends are the other hockey girlfriends. I don't even know if they would want to hang out with me now that I'm not with Ethan anymore.

So we order pizza and watch a movie with Tony and end up having a really good time.

***The entire story is available on reamstories.com/sofiamkay. Thank you for reading!***