Chapter 5: A haunting memory

I shot him a blank stare. "Longer than I've known you?"

"Yeah, longer than you've known I even existed," he said, his tone dropping, his expression growing serious. "Can't spill the beans on how, but trust me, Kiran, you're gonna find out real soon. Like, this year soon."

I mulled over his cryptic words, my skepticism tinged with curiosity. "So, you're saying you know me better than I know myself? What's with all the secrecy, Pragyan? If you've got the inside scoop, spill it," I challenged, leveling a serious look his way. The bubbly vibes from earlier had evaporated, replaced by an ominous tension that hung between us like a heavy fog.

"Man, it's hard to explain without dropping some serious bombs," he confessed, his voice tinged with reluctance. "But do you remember anything from back when you were a tiny human, like from birth till you hit five? Anything at all?" His face betrayed a mix of strain and intrigue as if unraveling this mystery came with its own set of dark consequences.

"Nothing much," I admitted, racking my brain. "Just this one memory of me bawling my eyes out. It was scorching hot, everything bathed in red like I was stuck in some fiery nightmare." As I dredged up the memory, it felt like peering into the shadows of a forgotten realm. I glanced up from the rock I'd been toying with, catching the pallor that had washed over his face.

"You shouldn't be remembering that," he muttered, his voice barely audible. "Not unless..." His words trailed off, his expression morphing into one of horror, hinting at the sinister depths of our shared past.

"Unless what," a voice interrupted from behind. It was Arnav. His smirk faded into a concerned frown as he caught sight of Pragyan's troubled expression. "Hey, Kiran, mind giving us a moment? It's... it's just a guy thing," he stuttered, noticing my puzzled expression.

I walked ahead, catching snippets of their murmured conversation. "She's remembering, Arnav. It's slipping away, and we need to act fast," Pragyan's voice was strained, his worry palpable. "Can't we give her more time, Pragyan? Let her live in peace for a little longer," Arnav's voice trembled with urgency, his concern evident.

"It's her life at stake, Arnav! We can't keep ignoring the danger. It's gone on long enough," Pragyan's tone was laced with fear. Madhu, Shivansh, and Geeta joined the conversation, their faces etched with worry. "So, when's the plan? When do we intervene?" Madhu's voice quivered with concern.

Geeta sighed heavily. "We've been hiding this from her for too long. Even her parents are starting to pick up on the signs." Shivansh nodded solemnly. "We can't wait any longer, Arnav. It's now or never. She's bound to remember, and when she does-"

I interrupted their discussion, confused and oblivious to their cryptic exchange. "What's going on, guys?" They turned to face me, their expressions a mixture of guilt and anxiety. It was clear they were deeply worried for me, and I had no inkling why. Pragyan's distress was especially evident, his concern sickeningly palpable. Little did I know, I was on the brink of a truth that could change everything.

"Dude, seriously, just give us a damn minute and stop eavesdropping," Madhu's tone was sharp, a mix of annoyance and genuine concern.

I managed a half-hearted grin, my emotions on the edge. "I'm sorry I overheard something you guys were talking about, something about me," I admitted, my voice carrying the weight of an impending breakdown.

"There's a fine line between a joke and reality, Kiran. Not everything is rainbows and unicorns. This is serious and sensitive. We need a minute, and you're not a kid to be playing around. So, just walk away. We'll catch up once we're done," Pragyan's words sliced through the air, dark and accusing. The accusation hung in the atmosphere, and I could feel the sting of tears welling up.

"Kiran, I didn't mean to say it like that. Wait, please, stop running!" Pragyan's plea sounded unsteady, revealing the turmoil beneath the surface. But I couldn't face it. With a heavy heart and unshed tears, I turned away, seeking solace in the dark shadows that swallowed me whole. At that moment, I felt like a silent spectator in my unraveling, longing for a reprieve from the haunting echoes of their words.

I wiped my eyes and walked quietly for a bit, but what I heard messed me up big time. What spell? What was I supposed to remember? What happens if I recall that hidden stuff? And why the heck can't I remember anything other than being stuck in flames?

Why did Pragyan look like he'd seen a ghost when I brought it up? And about the sleeptalking and nightmares, I never had a memory of having a nightmare. My parents were too busy with my big brother to notice anything about me. They didn't even bother to pay attention to my habits or struggles. It hit me hard, feeling like I was lost in the shadows, drowning in all these unanswered questions.

**Pragyan's POV**

I watched her, tears welling up in her eyes, as she dashed away. I couldn't help but yell after her, pleading for just a second to explain. But, you know how it is with teens, she took it all wrong. Now, I'm kicking myself 'cause I know I screwed up big time. But I couldn't just stay quiet. If she caught even a bit of what we're dealing with, we're toast.

"You were kinda harsh," Arnav chimed in, his hand heavy on my shoulder.

"I should've just kept my trap shut. Now, she won't even give me a chance. I'm betting on it," I muttered, grinding a stone under my foot. Their exchanged looks said it all, picking up on my regret like wildfire.

"Chill with the jokes, guys. This is serious stuff. How do we even explain that we're not your average friends? And what if she wakes up accidentally lighting her room on fire like last time? Or discovers she's got the power to summon water jets?" Shivansh cut in, his voice firm, slicing through the tension. Geeta's nod added a note of practicality to the chaos.

"But before we do anything else, go patch things up with your queen before she jets off somewhere we can't follow," Shivansh quipped, injecting a bit of humor. Despite the joke, I still felt the weight of my mistake.

"Man, I'm clueless about how to approach her. Every time I try, she's like a ninja dodging questions," I admitted, covering my face in embarrassment, my cheeks burning.

Shivansh slung an arm around me, his grin mischievous. "Take it easy, dude. If she needs time, give it to her. But if there's someone else-"

I shoved him away, laughter mixed with frustration. "Don't even joke about that, or you'll regret it," I warned, my face redder than a tomato. With newfound determination, I set off to find Kiran, dead set on fixing things before they spun out of control.