Chapter 27: Player Much?

<< Time Skip, Kiran's POV: >>

Exams just finished, results came out, and lo and behold—I'm the first name on the board. Beat everyone by like, what, 30 marks? But yeah, I'll refrain from strutting around like a peacock. As I casually skip back to my dorm, feeling like the undisputed king of the academic jungle, I hear Madhav on a Facetime call with someone. And guess who? Oh, it's none other than Pragyan.

Well, he can just umf off, you know? Just saying. It's been months already, but the sting of betrayal is still fresh. Yet, in the midst of it all, there's that nagging thought—maybe he hasn't moved on. Maybe he still harbors feelings for me. And damn it, his voice is something I reluctantly missed. Cue eye roll.

Madhav's voice suddenly cuts through, all protective and stern. "Pragyan, you can't go screw someone up like that," he scolds, surprising me with his sudden defense.

I nearly choke on my water at Pragyan's nonchalant reply. "Look, Madhav, my dating life isn't your concern. And no, I didn't screw anyone, just maybe had a hot session of kissing, that's all," he retorts, his voice oozing with that trademark arrogant grin.

And just like that, any soft corner, any lingering hope I had left, it's extinguished faster than a birthday candle in a hurricane. I mean, why should I care, right? Pfft. Don't get me wrong, hell no, I don't miss him or the circus of drama I used to call my social circle. Nope, no sir.

Madhav glances at me, probably sensing the storm brewing beneath my calm exterior. I give him a thumbs up, mouthing "chill, doesn't affect me," before I grab my books, plug in my AirPods, and dive headfirst into the comforting abyss of academia. Blocking out Pragyan's voice with the determination of a warrior in battle.

But beneath the surface, there's something... off. No, it's not blind rage, it's not a burning desire for vengeance. It's a cold, icy emptiness settling in, like I've stumbled into the Arctic of emotions.

You know that moment when a person turns into a statue of stoicism? Yeah, this was the moment for me. I could glare and rage about it, but I couldn't cry and sob like a cliché. I couldn't even muster a fake laugh. As a matter of fact... I couldn't feel anything at all.

So, I bury myself deeper into my books, into my studies, because in this moment, that's all I have. And hey, at least being the academic champ comes with some perks, like the satisfaction of knowing I crushed those exams.

Madhav walks over to me, his hand resting on my shoulder. "I'm... sorry, Kiran. Pragyan shouldn't have moved on from you," he says softly.

I look at him, my face a mask of neutrality. "Well, you know what? It's about time he did. I have no intention of calling him and screaming. In fact, I'd be surprised if I got a wedding invitation. Pragyan does love to rub things in people's faces, so, yeah, go figure. Congrats to your brother," I say, my voice devoid of any emotion.

Madhav turns my chair around and tilts my face towards his. "Are you okay?" he asks, his eyes searching mine. "Okay, let me make one thing clear. I don't like it when people hide their emotions, so don't try."

I look at him, the emptiness inside me echoing in my gaze. "What do you want me to show you?" I reply coolly. "We're turning to stoicism now, huh?"

I shrug, feeling the weight of exhaustion settling in. "Mohini was being a real piece of work to me. Pragyan got himself a new girl. And you, Madhav, you used to live here in this dorm. Now it's just a place to dump your stuff before you go and lock lips with Mohini instead of studying. But hey, I'm not complaining. It's your life, man. You do you."

Madhav's expression darkens, his irritation clear. "Why are you bringing Mohini into this?" he snaps, his fists clenching.

I get up, my patience wearing thin. "Forget it, man. Just close the door on your way out," I say tiredly, turning away from him.