Chapter 13: A Misunderstanding fixed

<<Back to present>>

I stared at Kiran, my heart racing as she held her throbbing head. Tears welled up in her eyes as she demanded, "What...are...you...doing...in my room?" Her voice was strained, gasping in pain. I couldn't take it anymore. Ignoring her weak protests and brushing past Arnav, I sat beside her, determined to help.

Gently, I lifted her and placed her on my lap, using my powers to cool her feverish body. As I touched her, I felt her powers respond, backing off under my touch. Their increased activity gradually diminished, and I sensed her tense body relaxing. The soft sounds of her breathing filled the room as I stroked her hair, offering comfort. She snuggled closer to me, seeking solace in my embrace.

Everyone watched in silence, their curiosity evident as they observed the unexpected scene unfolding before them. No teasing, no mocking-just a genuine interest in understanding what was happening. They couldn't help but wonder how, amidst all the chaos, it was me, the one she despised, who managed to bring her comfort.

As their gazes silently urged me to explain, I finally looked up, meeting their questioning eyes. "Now do you see how vulnerable you both are?" Arnav's gentle smile broke the tension, his words echoing the sentiments we all felt. Shivansh added softly, "Both becoming sick when apart, but calm and happy when together."

Geeta's puzzled expression mirrored the thoughts running through my mind. "But how does it happen that you control her powers and know when she needs you?" she asked, seeking answers. I cleared my throat, gathering my thoughts. "Our powers are connected," I began, trying to articulate the inexplicable bond between us. "While I can calm her down, she can empower me," I explained, surprised at the gentleness in my voice-a gentleness I couldn't seem to replicate elsewhere.

Late in the evening, Kiran finally stirred, her eyes fluttering open slowly. "What's going on?" she asked, her voice groggy with sleep.

Rudra filled her in, "You were having trouble sleeping, so we're here to make sure you're okay."

Kiran's eyes widened with panic. "Did I miss the government test?" she asked, her voice tinged with worry.

Arnav chuckled, "No, you didn't. The test is next week."

Relief washed over Kiran as she looked at the calendar on her bedside table. "Oh, I'm such a fool," she chuckled, shaking her head at herself.

"Yeah, you are," I teased gently, trying to lighten the mood. "But there's something else we need to clear up."

Kiran looked at me, her expression curious. "What's that?"

I leaned in closer, whispering, "I wasn't hugging Ishani because I liked her. It was just to show you how jealousy affects me."

Understanding dawned on Kiran's face. "So it was all just a big misunderstanding?" she realized, her tone incredulous.

I nodded, relieved that she finally understood. "Yep, all this drama over a simple misunderstanding."

Madhu chimed in, "Wow, talk about teenage drama!"

Kiran surprised me by getting up and ordering me to do the same. I stood up, unsure of what was coming next. Then, out of nowhere, she started punching me everywhere she could reach, her sleepy aura still evident. "You...big...fat...goddamn...idiot!" she yelled with each blow. I stumbled backward and ran outside, seeking refuge behind Rudra, who found the whole situation amusing. Kiran's face softened, and she began to smile, then laugh, and finally, she grinned at me. "So, are we good now?" I asked tentatively. Without a word, she pulled me into a hug, and I knew everything was going to be okay.

As our friends joined us, laughing and chatting, their eyes widened in surprise. "Did we interrupt something private?" Madhu asked, her face flushed with embarrassment. "No," we both said, grinning at each other. Then, in front of everyone-Arnav, Madhu, Shivansh, Geeta, Rudra, and Kiran's parents-Kiran swiftly kissed me on the cheek. The blush spread across her face and mine, but in that moment, it felt like everything was perfect.

Rudra whistled, "Whoa, get a room, you two."

Shivansh teased, "Check out the moon tonight!" Everyone laughed, but my gaze stayed locked on Kiran's. The warmth I'd missed for two weeks flooded back. Later, waving at Kiran from my window, I felt a sense of closeness. We're neighbors, pretty iconic, right?

I drifted off to sleep, a newfound lightness replacing the negativity and despair that had weighed me down because of the misunderstanding with Kiran. As I slept, a sense of happiness and peace enveloped me, soothing my troubled mind.