Chapter 24: Pain

I wake up to the sound of sniggering, and before I can even fully comprehend what's happening, I'm drenched in ice-cold water. I glare daggers at Arnav and Shivansh, feeling like I've just been thrown into a polar bear's den.

"Just because Madhu and Geeta got off their periods yesterday doesn't mean you can be brats, guys," I grumble, trying to shake off the chill. "Arnav, remember when I helped you when you almost threw up? And Shivansh, didn't I give you my last and best chocolate when you were grumpy?"

But they just smirk at me, clearly enjoying their little prank. "Oh, honey, you don't have to deal with the pain," Arnav says, sounding way too amused for my liking. "Be glad Kiran hasn't gotten her first period yet. Once she does, all hell breaks loose every damn month."

Shivansh nods in agreement, adding, "And you'll have to suffer right alongside her, buddy. Period cramps? They're like tiny demons stabbing you from the inside. Moody swings? Oh, it's like riding a rollercoaster through a tornado. And don't even get me started on the food cravings!"

I roll my eyes, about to fire back with a witty retort when suddenly, a sharp pain shoots through my stomach. "Guys... what's happening?" I stutter, clutching my abdomen as the pain intensifies.

But Arnav and Shivansh just look at me blankly, clueless as ever. Then, realization dawns on me like a ton of bricks. "I think... she just got her..." I can barely get the words out before the pain becomes unbearable.

Their eyes widen in horror as they finally understand what's happening. "Pragyan... your princess is going to have a very long week," Shivansh says solemnly as they rush out of the room to get the girls.

Meanwhile, I stumble to the bathroom, desperately turning on the shower for some relief. The warm water helps ease the pain, but as I stand there, doubled over in agony, I can't help but wonder: if this is only 1/4 of the actual pain, what in the world is Kiran going to go through? It's going to be a hell of a ride for both of us.

***Kiran's POV***:

I wake up, and the moment I try to move, it's like a thousand tiny knives stabbing my stomach. I curl back into a ball, hoping the pain will magically disappear. Madhav chuckles lazily from his bed, probably thinking I'm just being dramatic.

But this pain is no joke. I clutch my stomach, silently pleading for it to stop. Don't cry, Kiran, I tell myself. Don't scream. DON'T yell-oh, fudge, I let out a whimper. Madhav's smirk grows wider. "What's wrong, upset stomach?" he teases.

Ignoring him, I stumble to the bathroom and shut the door behind me. Sitting down, I finally look down and-oh, holy shit. My pants are stained red. The realization hits me like a ton of bricks. It's my first period, and I'm stuck with a male roommate, no parents, no mom, no Madhu, no Geeta. Hell, I even miss them right now, even if they left me.

There's a knock at the door, and Madhav's sleepy voice calls out, "Kiran, are you done? I need to brush my teeth." I panic, realizing all my toiletries and pads are outside in my bag. I cry out in frustration, wondering if my life could get any worse. The pain intensifies, and I stumble to the door, opening it to find Madhav looking down at me, concern etched on his face.

"What the heck, Kiran? Why are you crying? Are you hurt?" he asks, kneeling beside me. I groan, clutching my stomach as tears stream down my face. "My stomach... I just got... my..." I trail off, too embarrassed to say the words out loud.

Then it dawns on him, and he chuckles softly. "First-period cramps?" I nod, feeling mortified. "Where are they?" he asks, still chuckling. "Never mind," he says, rummaging through my bag and handing me a pad.