𝐈𝐕

ᵖᵉʳᶜʸ ⁻ ᵗʰᵃˡⁱᵃ ʷᵃᵏᵉˢ ᵘᵖ ᶜᵃᵐᵖ

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     . ★⋆.

IF PERCY DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER, which he really didn't, he'd think that Menodora was going to get obliterated by the next god they meet.

First Artemis, and now Apollo? This girl really had a knack for upsetting gods, and not even the minor ones.

As Artemis became one with the shadows, Apollo turned to them, jangling his car keys on his finger. "So, who wants to drive?"

The Hunters neglected his question and started to mount the van. They all crammed into the back, as far away as possible from Apollo and pretty much any male present.

Bianca joined them, leaving Nico with them, the highly infectious males and anti-females.

Percy thought it was cold of her to do, but Nico didn't seem to mind.

"This is so cool!" He laughed, jumping up and down in the drivers seat. "Is this really the sun? I thought Helios and Selene were the sun and moon gods. How come it's sometimes them, and sometimes you and Artemis?"

"Downsizing," Apollo said. "The Romans started it. They couldn't afford all those temple sacrifices, so they laid off Helios and Selene's duties into our job descriptions. Artemis got the moon, and I the sun. Unlike me, she let Selene keep the moon. That's our little secret, though. The gods don't know that."

"That's so nice of her!" Nico exclaimed, still jumping up and down. Perhaps it was because he was ten, but that's some of the most intense ADHD Percy had seen.

"Yeah. My sis is the best. I also wanted to give it back to Helios, but I got this cool car and thought it was worth it."

"How does it work, then?" Nico asked. "I thought the sun was a fiery ball of gas!"

Apollo ruffled Nico's hair, smiling at him. "That rumor probably got started because Artemis used to call me a big fiery ball of gas. Seriously, kid, it depends on whether you're talking astronomy or philosophy. You want to talk astronomy? Bah, what fun is that? You want to talk about how humans think about the sun? Ah, now that's more interesting. They've got a lot riding on the sun... er, so to speak. It keeps them warm, grows their crops, powers engines, makes everything look, well, sunnier. This chariot is built out of human dreams about the sun, kid. It's as old as Western Civilization. Every day, it drives across the sky from east to west, lighting up all those puny little mortal lives. The chariot is a manifestation of the sun's power, the way mortals perceive it. Make sense?"

Nico shook his head. "No."

"Well," Apollo stroke his chin. "Just think of it as a very cool, extremely powerful, really dangerous solar car."